St. Luke's/Roosevelt vs. Beth Israel NYC Psychiatry Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedisurg23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am a medical student at a NYC medical school applying in psychiatry this summer. I must stay in NYC for residency as my girlfriend has a job here, and am considering where to do my visiting rotations. I was wondering if anyone has any information on which residency program is stronger in psychiatry: St. Luke's/Roosevelt or Beth Israel NYC?

I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Both are good community programs and it's really a coin flip between them. It also depends on what factors make a program stronger to you. Do you not have the luxury of rotating at both and deciding for yourself?

Both are good community programs and it's really a coin flip between them. It also depends on what factors make a program stronger to you. Do you not have the luxury of rotating at both and deciding for yourself?

I agree. There is no difference in level of program quality or range of clinical experience. The biggest differences are neighborhood, housing, and obviously different faculty. Your best bet is in depth exploration by rotating at both.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, (as I'm sure you already know) both of those programs recently "merged" with Mount Sinai. From my interviews there, I found out that the fourth year electives for all training sites will be open to all residents. (So a SLR psych resident could benefit from Beth Israel's strengths in addiction psych, for example).

If you're unable to rotate at both places, try to set up a meeting (electronic or otherwise) with a resident at these programs (since you're already in the city). Your school is likely replete with faculty who either trained at one of the two programs or know someone who has. (NYC psychiatry, while large, can also be quite incestuous depending on the field of psych)

Best of luck!

Bump*
Any other input regarding this topic? Is there anyone that chose to rank one program over the other? I feel that they're both similar programs, but felt that the residents were a bit different. Is one a bit stronger? Any input would be helpful. Thank you!