St Matthew's School Of Medicine Is Excellent And On The Ball

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRJJ1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a very professional school that I will be proud
to be part of soon. I would like others to chime in
to discuss the positives about this school. We all know
it may cost a bit more but for nice things in life
sometimes it pays to live better with all the stresses
we had, will have and have now.

Members don't see this ad.

The only problem is that they got disapproved by California, didn't they?

Other than that, yeah, I heard it's a solid school with the best living conditions of all of them.

*EDIT - Double checekd; http://www.mbc.ca.gov/Applicant_Schools_Unapproved.htm
\

Yeah Nothing wrong with saying the conditions are good at SMU, Its a good island, But it costs way less to go to SJSM and live on Bonaire, very good conditions, no food shortages, low cost good quality, cheap places to live, really no power outages, even cheap beer LOL

I'm waiting to see how you do DRJJ1, I wish you luck, really ( silly to fight over these schools we should be united as FMGs LOL)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a very professional school that I will be proud
to be part of soon.
I would like others to chime in
to discuss the positives about this school. We all know
it may cost a bit more but for nice things in life
sometimes it pays to live better with all the stresses
we had, will have and have now.

Ehh, so you're cheering for a school where you're not even a student yet?
Happy that you think you've made a good choice, but can't really see how you can provide useful information about a place where you're not even a student.

Also, it seems a bit odd that you apparently only invite ppl to "discuss the positives" about a school. all schools have positives. And negatives. Generally, i think it's best that both are discussed.

However, I have no knowledge of any Carib school. I only know what Zolar noted, which is that they applied for California approval, were denied, tried to take the Calif med board to court, and have since been totally silent on the matter. (they lost the case hands down, btw)...

The only problem is that they got disapproved by California, didn't they?
*EDIT - Double checekd; http://www.mbc.ca.gov/Applicant_Schools_Unapproved.htm

Yeah, they did have that small "problem." This California disapproval may or may not be of concern to SMU students. I read the CMB report, and it's pretty damning. I'd be concerned about it if I were thinking of attending SMU, even if I didn't care about getting licensed in California. I'd also be concerned that the CMB decision would be read by other US state medical boards, and might make them think twice about their decision to accredit SMU grads.

I don't doubt the claims that SMU provides "nice things in life" that may "cost a bit more." But what are these alleged "nice things in life" worth if you spend all that effort and money to graduate with an MD from SMU that might not be recognized in the US? But you are the one who has to make that decision. caveat emptor is good advice here. ;)

Last edited:
Ehh, so you're cheering for a school where you're not even a student yet?
Happy that you think you've made a good choice, but can't really see how you can provide useful information about a place where you're not even a student.

Also, it seems a bit odd that you apparently only invite ppl to "discuss the positives" about a school. all schools have positives. And negatives. Generally, i think it's best that both are discussed.

However, I have no knowledge of any Carib school. I only know what Zolar noted, which is that they applied for California approval, were denied, tried to take the Calif med board to court, and have since been totally silent on the matter. (they lost the case hands down, btw)...

POST AWAY THE NEGS THEN,,,

Yeah, they did have that small "problem." This California disapproval may or may not be of concern to SMU students. I read the CMB report, and it's pretty damning. I'd be concerned about it if I were thinking of attending SMU, even if I didn't care about getting licensed in California. I'd also be concerned that the CMB decision would be read by other US state medical boards, and might make them think twice about their decision to accredit SMU grads.

I don't doubt the claims that SMU provides "nice things in life" that may "cost a bit more." But what are these alleged "nice things in life" worth if you spend all that effort and money to graduate with an MD from SMU that might not be recognized in the US? But you are the one who has to make that decision. caveat emptor is good advice here. ;)

Nick

THEY HAD A STORM WHEN THE CALIF BD CAME TO TOWN,,I HAVE SEEN THE OTHER SCHOOL PIXS AND LET ME TELL YOU IT MAKES ONE THINK ABOUT HOW THESE SCHOOLS EVER GOT ANY APPROVALS LET ALONE CALIF,,,SOME LOOK LIKE THE MOON LIKE ROSS AND ST GEORGES,,LETS NOT GET CARRIED AWAY FOR ST MATTS TRYING,,AT LEAST THEY TRIED BUT OTHERS DID NOT FOR GOOD REASON,I WOULD BET ST MATTS GETS THE APPROVAL BEFORE LETS SAY MUA OR ST JAMES FOR SURE THOUGH,,,PLUS ALL THIS TALK ABOUT NOT GETTING TO PRACTICE IS NONSENSE SINCE I KNOW MANY I HAVE REACHED OUT TO AND SPOKE TO THESE DRS ALREADY IN RESID ALL OVER THE USA,,I DO MY DUE DILIGENCE AND THATS WHAT I GO BY,,

If I were rejected from SGU, AUC, Ross and Saba and not offered MERP or the SGU version of MERP then I would consider St. Matts, too.

I went to the CMB dispproved website and saw the list of schools, but where can we find the actual CMB report?

THEY HAD A STORM WHEN THE CALIF BD CAME TO TOWN,,I HAVE SEEN THE OTHER SCHOOL PIXS AND LET ME TELL YOU IT MAKES ONE THINK ABOUT HOW THESE SCHOOLS EVER GOT ANY APPROVALS LET ALONE CALIF,,,SOME LOOK LIKE THE MOON LIKE ROSS AND ST GEORGES,,LETS NOT GET CARRIED AWAY FOR ST MATTS TRYING,,AT LEAST THEY TRIED BUT OTHERS DID NOT FOR GOOD REASON,I WOULD BET ST MATTS GETS THE APPROVAL BEFORE LETS SAY MUA OR ST JAMES FOR SURE THOUGH,,,PLUS ALL THIS TALK ABOUT NOT GETTING TO PRACTICE IS NONSENSE SINCE I KNOW MANY I HAVE REACHED OUT TO AND SPOKE TO THESE DRS ALREADY IN RESID ALL OVER THE USA,,I DO MY DUE DILIGENCE AND THATS WHAT I GO BY,,

It's true that Hurricane Ivan hit GC on 09/11/04. But CMB didn't visit on that particular date. Besides, if you read their report, they had an issue with SMU having two campuses one in Cayman, another one in Maine. So those who wanted to get off the island faster entere Masters program at St. Joseph's college of Maine, and were completing their basic sciences outside of their country of charter, which is Grand Cayman.They also leased building, not owned it. I'm not sure why that is a problem, but probably cuz the school is not in U.S. BTW they weren't releasing the report until like February of 2005, when the "Cali Jinny" was out of the bottle on CMB web site. And the spinning, the chearleading, and bunch of other B.S started. Just look at VMD right around that time. I'm not saying that SMU is a bad school. Hell no. But that nearly pathologic obsession that you have with the school that, I gather, you haven't even started is worrysome to many on here. How can you recommend (i.e "SMU is the way to go", "Go to SMU" etc) when you haven't even began your school yet? And your reason is, Oh G, go there cuz it's on a better island :eek: . Are you kidding me? Who cares what island your school is on? They have more than one on some of them :smuggrin: But to discount Cali disapproval is really a very closed-minded, and nearsighted thing to do. You are already an IMG with no guarantees. Damn it why gamble even more? If you can't get in ROSS, SGU, AUC, SABA, and also a couple of more in Europe, Philipines and Israel then reconsider the whole thing. in MHO. Smu will come around, but for now, it's still marked as "dis" on Cali, and many other States list. :scared: Sorry to rain on your parade :smuggrin:

well i for one am planning on practicing in florida, which approved smu, so cali had absolutely no bearing on my decision to attend SMU....and to say that it doesnt matter what island your school is on is not true for everyone, i for one chose smu over ross because dominica is a hell hole(no disrespect to ross it is a really good school) and i would go crazy on saba(also a really good school), living on cayman isnt really any different than living in south florida, this makes it much easier to be comfortable while studying. Everyone has to make their own decisions in picking a school, but so say that its either ross,sgu,saba,auc or nothing at all is not accurate.

Being on Saba ain't that bad. I get to St. Maarten all the time where I vacation then come back to do my work without any distractions. I'd rather have Cali approval and suffer for 20 months then go the rest of my career being limited to where I can and can not practice. I agree that If I didn't get into SGU, AUC, Saba, MUA-N, St. James then Spartan and All Saints, ..... I would eventually go to SMU:laugh: Like how I ranked em?:eek:

Being on Saba ain't that bad. I get to St. Maarten all the time where I vacation then come back to do my work without any distractions. I'd rather have Cali approval and suffer for 20 months then go the rest of my career being limited to where I can and can not practice. I agree that If I didn't get into SGU, AUC, Saba, MUA-N, St. James then Spartan and All Saints, ..... I would eventually go to SMU:laugh: Like how I ranked em?:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were rejected from SGU, AUC, Ross and Saba and not offered MERP or the SGU version of MERP then I would consider St. Matts, too.

SO WHEN YOU APPLYING TO SMU THEN?:laugh:

SOON CALIF APPROVAL WILL MEAN NOTHING,,ANOTHER AGENCY IS NEEDED TO GIVE A FAIR REPORT,,,,ALSO THAT IS WHY MAINE IS CLOSING, TO SUCK UP TO CALIF FOR NOW BUT IM SURE OTHER AGENCIES WILL BE STARTED TO RATE THE SCHOOLS FAIRLY,,,,,,AND YES THE STORM DID HAVE AN IMPACT ON THE DECISION,,,A FEW MORE STEAK DINNERS ON THE BEACH SHOULD MAKE CALIF DECIDE IN FAVOR,,,CASH TALKS,,,ALL IT COMES DOWN TO,,,ST MATTS IS DOING MORE THAN MOST SCHOOLS NOW TO GET APPROVED AND THAT IS A GOOD THING,,,AND ANYONE CAN TELL IF A BUSINESS IS RIGHT FOR THEM BY INTUITION AND EXPERIENCE..THE 'FEEL" FOR A BUSINESS LIKE ST MATTS IS BUZZING...JUST LIKE WHEN YOU WALK INTO A STORE AND YOU FEEL SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT OR EVEN A DOCTORS OFFICE AND SAY THIS DR IS FOR ME OR NOT,,,YOU JUST KNOW,,,TUNE INTO YOUR GUT FEELINGS MORE ,,,A GOOD INDICATOR TO USE AND ITS FREE

lol....bored to death on saba and jealous of us in the caymans i see :laugh:

SO WHEN YOU APPLYING TO SMU THEN?:laugh:

There is something seriously wrong with you..lol:smuggrin:

Gather yourself and build up some self-esteem. It is sad to see someone who thinks so little of himself that he feels it necessary to attack his superiors whenever he feels inferior.

Instead, you should be confident of yourself and the decisions that you have made.

People would respect you if you were proud of going to SMU instead of trying to insult those who have made different choices.

what's scarier still is that this "drj" character supposedly already has a practice of some sort....god help his patients

what's scarier still is that this "drj" character supposedly already has a practice of some sort....god help his patients

He is a chiropractor based on his earlier posts :eek: :rolleyes:

There is something seriously wrong with you..lol:smuggrin:

Gather yourself and build up some self-esteem. It is sad to see someone who thinks so little of himself that he feels it necessary to attack his superiors whenever he feels inferior.

Instead, you should be confident of yourself and the decisions that you have made.

People would respect you if you were proud of going to SMU instead of trying to insult those who have made different choices.

FIRST,,LOOSEN UP,,,2ND,,WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
3,,,READ #1

3,,,READ #1

You are using way too many numbers.

Is there something wrong with your CAPS button?:laugh:

IS THAT WHAT YOU DID BUT ONLY ST MATTS REJECTED YOU TOO?

24 POSTS AND ALREADY TALKING KAKA

So at least I know that you can count to 24 :smuggrin: . And I'm afraid that "KAKA" is something you have a great deal of difficulty to get rid off. Someone gave you an advice on using some lax meds. You may want to really consider it. And are you not a chiropractor? So far you are the one who posts nothing but personal opinion which BTW is a "KAKA" all the way. No facts. No substance. Carry on pal :rolleyes: :smuggrin:

SOON CALIF APPROVAL WILL MEAN NOTHING,,ANOTHER AGENCY IS NEEDED TO GIVE A FAIR REPORT,,,,ALSO THAT IS WHY MAINE IS CLOSING, TO SUCK UP TO CALIF FOR NOW BUT IM SURE OTHER AGENCIES WILL BE STARTED TO RATE THE SCHOOLS FAIRLY,,,,,,AND YES THE STORM DID HAVE AN IMPACT ON THE DECISION,,,A FEW MORE STEAK DINNERS ON THE BEACH SHOULD MAKE CALIF DECIDE IN FAVOR,,,CASH TALKS,,,ALL IT COMES DOWN TO,,,ST MATTS IS DOING MORE THAN MOST SCHOOLS NOW TO GET APPROVED AND THAT IS A GOOD THING,,,AND ANYONE CAN TELL IF A BUSINESS IS RIGHT FOR THEM BY INTUITION AND EXPERIENCE..THE 'FEEL" FOR A BUSINESS LIKE ST MATTS IS BUZZING...JUST LIKE WHEN YOU WALK INTO A STORE AND YOU FEEL SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT OR EVEN A DOCTORS OFFICE AND SAY THIS DR IS FOR ME OR NOT,,,YOU JUST KNOW,,,TUNE INTO YOUR GUT FEELINGS MORE ,,,A GOOD INDICATOR TO USE AND ITS FREE

you know i can care less about all this school cheerleading...i just wanna know something...what THE HELL is up with all these commas?!?!?

We're professional students now. Bashing other schools needs to stop.

With that aside, I'd like to share some information about St. Matthew's (SMU) with all of you.

1. St. Matthew's started in Belize. At that time, it was the only medical school in the country, which secured its ability to grow. When more medical schools entered Belize, this caused a decrease in the student enrollment at SMU. SMU is privately owned without funding from the US, so student enrollment is extremely important. That is why they chose to move to Grand Cayman.

2. This decision to move resulted in the need to reside in office buildings in Grand Cayman until they had enough students and money to build. The facilities are very nice and up-to-date.

3. Now that St. Matthew's has a few years under its belt (as well as a veterinary school), they are off to a great start. The pass rate on the USMLE step one has increased from 85% to 92%.

4. Yes, Grand Cayman offers a very modern setting and therefore a more comfortable living. In addition, the medical students and veterinary students have excellent clinical sites to complete their studies.

5. Whether it's the AAMA or the AVMA, it's all political. Just because California hasn't approved SMU doesn't mean it isn't a good school.

All in all, I think it's a great school. This school bashing is silly. Texas A&M University cloned the first cat and is at the forefront of intracytoplasmic sperm injection, yet people still make really negative comments about our institution.

If you go to SMU, you'll be fine. If you go to Ross, you'll be fine too. No worries. :)

Sincerely,

Michael

Texas A&M '06
St. Matthew's School of Vet Med 2011

So your saying that SMU needs to bribe members of the California approval team to get state approval? :laugh:

I find it very amazing to watch some on this forum waste so much time bashing other schools....look i know that it must drive most of you who are on 3rd world islands crazy to know that the smu students are living so comfortably on the first world island of cayman....all you have to throw in their face is "california this and california that" lol, it is really quite sad, if you arent planning on practicing in california then IT DOES NOT MATTER...now please keep up the bashing i need something to laugh at

I, for one, have never bashed SMU. The Cali issue is in the face b/c it's real. I didn't make SMU loose this "battle". Being "married" to the island on which your school is located is not such a smart idea. That arguement keeps being thrown back by SMUers to "balance out" the Cali issue. I don't think that most people have a problem with SMU per se. It's your classmate to be (DRJJ1) who feels the need to dump on every other school all over the SDN and VMD. Just check his posts. Here's the guy who's never even set his foot in the door at SMU just advising folks left and right to go to SMU. No facts, no stats. Just pure chearleading BS. And when you point this out to him he feels it's his personal duty to go on the attack :rolleyes: . So people do react to someone insulting everybody else, and showing how "supperior" his choice is comparing to the rest of us. I was accepted to SMU too, but for now passing on it, though I think it's a good school. Anyway, good luck to all of you at any school :luck:

I find it very amazing to watch some on this forum waste so much time bashing other schools....look i know that it must drive most of you who are on 3rd world islands crazy to know that the smu students are living so comfortably on the first world island of cayman....all you have to throw in their face is "california this and california that" lol, it is really quite sad, if you arent planning on practicing in california then IT DOES NOT MATTER...now please keep up the bashing i need something to laugh at

I, for one, have never bashed SMU. The Cali issue is in the face b/c it's real. I didn't make SMU loose this "battle". Being "married" to the island on which your school is located is not such a smart idea. That arguement keeps being thrown back by SMUers to "balance out" the Cali issue. I don't think that most people have a problem with SMU per se. It's your classmate to be (DRJJ1) who feels the need to dump on every other school all over the SDN and VMD. Just check his posts. Here's the guy who's never even set his foot in the door at SMU just advising folks left and right to go to SMU. No facts, no stats. Just pure chearleading BS. And when you point this out to him he feels it's his personal duty to go on the attack :rolleyes: . So people do react to someone insulting everybody else, and showing how "supperior" his choice is comparing to the rest of us. I was accepted to SMU too, but for now passing on it, though I think it's a good school. Anyway, good luck to all of you at any school :luck:

FIRST learn to spell or know the difference between lose and loose. Second nobody is bashing the other schools. A few here are bashing the other schools and myself from # , commas etc. Just because you re going to med school does not mean maturity. You say I have not stepped foot into smu but you know this how? I can say you never filed a tax return or ever saw and treated a patient for anything like most here but do I? Carry on and show more of your immaturity.

FIRST learn to spell or know the difference between lose and loose. Second nobody is bashing the other schools. A few here are bashing the other schools and myself from # , commas etc. Just because you re going to med school does not mean maturity. You say I have not stepped foot into smu but you know this how? I can say you never filed a tax return or ever saw and treated a patient for anything like most here but do I? Carry on and show more of your immaturity.

Whatever happened to your CaPs LoCk ACttiNG Up really, really crazy, just like you do pal? So you can type like a 2nd grader all along, and I make one typ[o] and you just wet all over yourself :smuggrin: :eek: . I have a feeling that you've just asked somebody to type it up for you anyway:laugh: . See if I care. Is it not true that you are in the incoming SMU class of May 2007? You are the one posting it, not me. Unless you have some split personality, as evidenced by the huuuuuuge difference in your typing pattern lol :confused: . You did post that you visited the school, but you haven't really started it yet, have you? So you took a vacation on Grand Cayman, and that somehow makes you an expert on SMU? I know the school is good, but it's hardly is a solution to the problems of other schools. SMU has got a crapload of its own, just like every other 2nd, 3rd, and 4rh chance school. So save the chearleading, and try to be a med student first. Talk about maturity :smuggrin: :laugh:

I agree with NewHope. Each and every school has its pros and cons. There's no such thing as one school that solves every problem.

I agree with NewHope. Each and every school has its pros and cons. There's no such thing as one school that solves every problem.

Glad we're on the same page, buddy. Look, really in all honesty, you'll make it at any school if you apply yourself. It's been done before by others, so there is no point in argueing over it. But that elitist attitude of "some", which is exhibited on here, is really troublesome to me. Instead of pulling together we look for some **** that sets us as US IMGs appart. Do you guys really think that PDs and people who otherwise have no clue about the Caribbean pecking order give rat's @$$ about which island :rolleyes: you went to? Better think again. They are laughing their @$$es off when they see that fighing going.And rightfully so, IMHO.

Glad we're on the same page, buddy. Look, really in all honesty, you'll make it at any school if you apply yourself. It's been done before by others, so there is no point in argueing over it. But that elitist attitude of "some", which is exhibited on here, is really troublesome to me. Instead of pulling together we look for some **** that sets us as US IMGs appart. Do you guys really think that PDs and people who otherwise have no clue about the Caribbean pecking order give rat's @$$ about which island :rolleyes: you went to? Better think again. They are laughing their @$$es off when they see that fighing going.And rightfully so, IMHO.

WHY GIVE THIS MULTIPLE ACCOUNT/NAMES ANY MORE OF YOUR TIME

WHY GIVE THIS MULTIPLE ACCOUNT/NAMES ANY MORE OF YOUR TIME,,LOOK HE EVEN SPREADING SMU SABA RUMORS NOW,,,HIS CREDIBILIY HAS SUNK TO NEW LEVELS,,,GUTTER LEVEL:laugh:

They all have different IP addresses. Please don't make baseless accusations.

WHY GIVE THIS MULTIPLE ACCOUNT/NAMES ANY MORE OF YOUR TIME,,LOOK HE EVEN SPREADING SMU SABA RUMORS NOW,,,HIS CREDIBILIY HAS SUNK TO NEW LEVELS,,,GUTTER LEVEL:laugh:

I'm not sure what exactly is wrong with you, DRJJ1, but you ought to consider a check up form the neck up :rolleyes: Why would you quote me, and accuse McGillGrad and SabaMed? Are you that utterly stupid, and just incapable of a simple, one step communication? No, I don't want to call you out, and violate TOS, but your statements so for did not hold any water. I'm afraid that SMU does not yet know about their "blessing" in May. You do understand that paying attention to the details is one of the most important things you will be doing as a medical student. Man, I've never seen anything like that :scared: :rolleyes:. How did you manage to get through a chiro school? How do you even get out of bed in the morning without some special instructions, or you just don't? :smuggrin: Man, tell us that you are just pulling everybody's leg? You can't be for real lol :eek: Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude, but I'm realy worrying about you, buddy.
Please, stay well :luck:

I'm not sure what exactly is wrong with you, DRJJ1, but you ought to consider a check up form the neck up :rolleyes: Why would you quote me, and accuse McGillGrad and SabaMed? Are you that utterly stupid, and just incapable of a simple, one step communication? No, I don't want to call you out, and violate TOS, but your statements so for did not hold any water. I'm afraid that SMU does not yet know about their "blessing" in May. You do understand that paying attention to the details is one of the most important things you will be doing as a medical student. Man, I've never seen anything like that :scared: :rolleyes:. How did you manage to get through a chiro school? How do you even get out of bed in the morning without some special instructions, or you just don't? :smuggrin: Man, tell us that you are just pulling everybody's leg? You can't be for real lol :eek: Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude, but I'm realy worrying about you, buddy.
Please, stay well :luck:

please I don t have time for your childish behavior you really told me off so now fly away
and come back when you file your first 1040

please I don t have time for your childish behavior you really told me off so now fly away
and come back when you file your first 1040

Yeah, I think you just keep defining yourself as a very strange (to put it mildly) person. That's O'K. We'll love you through that too. But a word of advise for you is to breake down "ass/u/me" on thepiece of paper in private. You just may learn something. Am I supposed to be impressed by your income tax filing? My income tax return could be even more complicated than yours. So it's not only employer's W2. I also have 1099 from my private contracts, and other investments. But what does this have to do with you craping all over SDN and VMD on all schools other than SMU? Why do you assume that you are talking to a bunch of highschoolers and premeds on this forum? Do you think you are the all-mighty chiropractor, and none of us ever worked a day in our lives :idea: ? Man, get real. And also get a life, will you :smuggrin: :beat:

Yeah, I think you just keep defining yourself as a very strange (to put it mildly) person. That's O'K. We'll love you through that too. But a word of advise for you is to breake down "ass/u/me" on thepiece of paper in private. You just may learn something. Am I supposed to be impressed by your income tax filing? My income tax return could be even more complicated than yours. So it's not only employer's W2. I also have 1099 from my private contracts, and other investments. But what does this have to do with you craping all over SDN and VMD on all schools other than SMU? Why do you assume that you are talking to a bunch of highschoolers and premeds on this forum? Do you think you are the all-mighty chiropractor, and none of us ever worked a day in our lives :idea: ? Man, get real. And also get a life, will you :smuggrin: :beat:

So what school do you attend? I hope its one we all heard of.

1. St. Matthew's started in Belize. At that time, it was the only medical school in the country, which secured its ability to grow. When more medical schools entered Belize, this caused a decrease in the student enrollment at SMU. SMU is privately owned without funding from the US, so student enrollment is extremely important. That is why they chose to move to Grand Cayman.

Hi aggiegolf,

I don't know much about the Carribean nor about St. Matthew's. I have already finished medical school + residency, so it is more for learning about the world's schools that I ask. Regarding the history of the switch from Belize to Cayman, any comment on this? (which appears to be the Belize newspaper noting events going on at St. Matthews in Belize before it moved):

http://sanpedrosun.net/old/02-151.html
http://sanpedrosun.net/old/01-252.html

Personally, I think it is a great idea to move a school to Cayman [or BVI], to help stability. And from an island's point of view, education is the best island export around. Anyway, any comment appreciated, especially from someone who is familiar with the SMU school.

Best wishes

I've read a few articles regarding SMU's move from Belize to Grand Cayman, and the reasons for this move don't always match up. So I can't say for sure why they made the decision to relocate. There have been rumors regarding stability of the institution because it currently runs out of leased buildings. However, expansion plans are in the working, especially for the veterinary program. The veterinary surgical clinic should be completed this summer.

When the California board denied approval of SMUSOM, they expressed concern about the developing vet med operation. Since the vet school and med school are right next to each other, they wanted assurance that this would not interfere with the human medicine operation.

With the school being so new, it's hard to say what their future holds. I think St. Matthew's has the potential to be one of the top caribbean schools, especially for veterinary medicine. But that's one of the reasons I chose to come here. The walk into the "unknown" and being a part of something new is very appealing to me. I completed my undergraduate studies at a very prestigious university and loved it. But I left feeling like I was missing out on something. I wish more American students would consider studying abroad.

Well, as an SMU grad and was present when the whole move from Belize to GC went down in 2002, I must say the school has its pros and cons. I don't think it is on par with SGU, AUC, or Ross simply due to it's approval in all 50 states is not there. Having said that, I was able to complete all that I needed to in order to finish in 4 years without too much difficulty. It was stressful at times because the 4th year is basically your baby...you arrange it all; that is not the easiest to accomplish. Rotations I think are the key element when looking at a carib school along with usmle pass rates. I had to choose between Ross and SMU and went with the latter because I had a family and was concerned about Dominica.

It appears the school continues to improve and certainly they have it more together since getting to Cayman. It was a total circus at times in San Pedro with the Serslands getting axed in 2001 and all the garbage that went on after that. Nevertheless I am in residency despite all this stuff and my other classmates for the most part too. I think SMU will get better, but it certainly is behind the 8-ball in a number of categories (i.e. state approvals, etc). If CA is on your list of places to practice, then I'd go elsewhere. Be aware that there are other states SMU is not on their good side...I believe IN is one of them. Continue to do your homework and realize that taking this route is really about you getting yourself where you want to go; the school is really only a springboard to get you there.

Good luck

The fact that certain Caribbean med schools have been banned from California doesn't matter in the least, and frankly, I'm glad they were. They're much better off.

For one thing, who would want to practice in a state that's bankrupt and financially in the pits? C'mon...California is the LAST state I'd want to practice in! Even the good weather is not enough to make me want to set up shop as a physician. You've got plenty more states at your disposal. The sky's the limit!

3,,,READ #1

Match list for the Big 4 is generally much better than the other schools with a higher match % as well.

That is probably the most important aspect of going to a more well known school.