St Matthew's SOM/Cayman Islands

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smugrinch

Karma*****
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else go to SMU and wanna talk about anything?

Members don't see this ad.

SMU has been getting better each semester. It had a rough start, but since setting up on Cayman it has purchased the building it had been renting and increased it's enrollment. There seems to be a influx of Ross student. As far as caribean schools go St. Georges and Ross have a much longer history and clinical sites, but St. MAtthews was recently visited by New York ,California will be visiting shortly. My advice is to fly down there and see for yourself. The island is expensive, but it's up to you how you budget your loans. Good Luck

Thanx, I'm finishing my 1st semester here:eek: :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
hi smugrinch,
I am currently applying to this school, could you give me any word of advice? How is studying there? How is the study environment? Is there alot of competition amongst others? Is everyone or most everyone happy to be there? Are there alot of matriculants? Could you also tell me the scores of some of the students USMLE step 1 exams? Thanks :)

i'm a third year in doing rotations in the UK. SMU is an interesting animal. Somethings are great and others are not so great. The profs you are going to see are probably not the ones I had, so I can't comment other than there were some classes I had that were less than satisfactory. However, I went to the Maine campus for 4th and 5th semesters and was very happy how things went. Scores for usmle have ranged from the 190s to the 230s. A lot don't pass, but SMU has a lot of students that, in my opinion, aren't really that serious. Hope this helps.

how competitive are the students are they as cut throat as at AUC? How hard is it to get in th maine campus? pm me

Getting to the Maine campus is all about being enrolled in the St Joe's program...and it's worth the trip. THe faculty are much better up there in my opinion plus Maine isn't so bad. It didn't seem so competitive; the usual grade boasting goes on, but it wasn't like people were hiding books or other sorts of sabotage to get better grades. Can't speak for Ross or AUC.

What states allow St matthew's students to do clinicals? what is the st joes program?

Bubba, the questions you are asking are easily answered on the SMU Official forum on their site. As for clinicals you can go with the hospitals in states that they officially have an agreement with (Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Arizona, Maryland, Illinois, Washington) or set one up on your own as many of us have done in 3rd and 4th years. The only thing I can tell you in terms of restrictions is you can not do clinicals in California, Pennsylvania, and Maine. You can only do 12 weeks in NY, and if you want to practice down the road in TX then you can not do clinicals as a student there.

Good Luck!

Please see my post in the other SMU thread.