1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

St. Vincent's Manhattan

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by pjpmd, Apr 11, 2004.

1. pjpmd

pjpmd New Member

I just matched into IM at Saint Vincent Hospital Manhattan. I'm from a small town (700 people) in Indiana and have a few questions.
    1: Are their rules about taking a Uhaul into Manhattan? Is it only allowed during certain times of the day?
    2: Does anyone know anything about the hospital subsidized resident housing? Is it nice? Are they studios or one/two bedroom apartments? How much are they? Are utilities included? Is this the best place to live?
    3: I heard about in-house moonlighting at the hospital ER and on phlebotomy teams. Is this available/feasible for interns? How much does it pay?
    4: I don't know anyone in nyc, and am a little intimidated. I need to make friends. Any tips on for a country boy in the city?
    5: I'm single and looking for a nice girl. Any tips?

Thanks,
    Peter

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ny skindoc

ny skindoc Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

You are free to bring a U Haul into Manhattan at anytime,however some buildings will only allow you to move your stuff in on ceratin days of the week between certain hours.Please check the rules at your new residence prior to moving in.You will be in a great city for meeting people,there are lots of singles especially in lower Manhattan where St Vincents is located,it will be very different from what you are used to.There will be culture shock but but its a fun place to be..Once your residency starts and you get to know others in your program thats a good starting point.

4. DR

DR Xtra Large Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Peter...
    Well, lemme tell you first off that the social situation in NYC is pretty much different than almost anywhere else in the world. NYC has so many people, but can be tough to meet initially if you don't have people to go out with. I'd hook up with some people in your program early on and go out with them. NY has so many different types of people from so many different backgrounds which is a good thing, but can make it hard to find what fits you. So, you need to know where to hang out...this is why I think friends in your program will help a lot. As far as being intimidated, don't be. People in NY are very nice, contrary to the reputation. Just keep your eyes open, it's a fast moving city with all types...keeping your eyes open doesn't have to mean being afraid of muggings and stuff, but be aware of your surroundings and what you're doing, because things happen fast in NYC. I only say this because I have friends who have moved here from out of state, and this is what they told me was the biggest issue for them....the pace. No bad experiences, and they've actually said that they found NY'ers to be very nice (which I agree with...I'm a New Yorker!), but they were a bit exhausted by the pace of things. You'll get used to it very quickly, and probably love it like most do.....so look forward to it and have fun! NY is a great place to have fun!