Staff Contacting Etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gryphes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Situation resolved. Please see below post.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I do not think it would be rude at this point to send another polite email. You could wait a couple more days if you like but I wouldn't wait too long. Just say something along the lines of how excited you are about the project without focusing on the time since you sent your last email.

Does he have an assistant / secretary? If so another approach would be to contact this person and say you would like to set up a meeting to talk to doctor X about the research project.

Finally, is there a way you could "accidentally" run into him?

Definitely followup. The easiest way is probably by calling his secretary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to both of you for the helpful comments and apologies for my late reply to the post. The situation has been resolved and I am starting on my project now. Quite excited.

Situation resolved. Please see below post.

Why do people delete the original post? Judging from the responses, I think that this might've been a similar situation to what I want to know.

So here's my situation: I emailed the chief-of-surgery of a big hospital near my medical school one the 17th (just under a week ago) about mentoring me for a summer fellowship. I haven't received a response yet, and the deadline to apply for the fellowship is in mid-January. So my question is, how long should I wait to follow up? And should I follow up with another email, or by trying to contact his secretary? I know he's super busy, and I don't want to seem pushy, but I also want to make sure that I'm showing enough initiative. Any ideas?