Staff position instead of post doc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychchick09

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Has anyone here applied for a VA staff position (GS-11) instead of a formal post-doc? And if so, any advice or tips on applying through USAjobs before technically graduating/finishing internship?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't so I can't give you any direct advice, but from what I have seen 100% of those positions go to people already there at that VA (interns staying on board after internship).

And also a clarification for others that may read this, yes, a GS-11 is technically a staff position but functionally the same thing as a post-doc as you will have supervision, not be credentialed at the VA yet, etc. More money though and often independence, which is always nice, and a permanent position once you get your license and move up in GS level.

I haven't so I can't give you any direct advice, but from what I have seen 100% of those positions go to people already there at that VA (interns staying on board after internship).

And also a clarification for others that may read this, yes, a GS-11 is technically a staff position but functionally the same thing as a post-doc as you will have supervision, not be credentialed at the VA yet, etc. More money though and often independence, which is always nice, and a permanent position once you get your license and move up in GS level.

Yes! Thank you for the clarification. The job I’m looking at is at the va I’m doing internship at, but I still have to go through the USAjobs process!
Thanks again :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes! Thank you for the clarification. The job I’m looking at is at the va I’m doing internship at, but I still have to go through the USAjobs process!
Thanks again :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck! And yep, sounds like the standard process, even if they already have identified someone internal they want to hire for the position.

Reactions: 1 users