Staff Psychiatrist moving to Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polka.dot

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a staff psychiatrist who is board certified in Canada and the U.S. I am planning a move to Australia in a year or two with my partner who is an Australian citizen. I have a cash based private practice in the U.S. with 2 days of hospital practice (ECT/partial hospitalization). I am hoping for some advice on what I can realistically expect in terms of setting up a practice when we move.

The thing I am having trouble fully understanding is how the moratorium will affect me. My husband's job requires us to be in an urban centre (likely Brisbane or Sydney) and I am not sure if I can even work at all in those areas during the period of the moratorium given that even at a public hospital there will be public and private insurance patients. I was also wondering if tele psychiatry was a way to meet the rural need without actually moving for 5-10 years. Anyone have any suggestions or know of any resources who can help me work through this process? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's been discussed - here: US doctor moving to Australia
and here: Can someone explain the ten year moratorium in simple terms.

No, telehealth doesn't help you meet rural need, unless your contract is with a rural or regional hospital and they usually want you physically there anyway.

I'd recommend jumping into CP's thread - see first link (US citizen married to an Australian, is a board certified anesthesiologist when he decided to move to Australia. Has gone through the whole process).

Good luck!