Stage 2 Esophageal Cancer: Is there any chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jersey Girl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My grandfather just found out that he has stage 2 esophageal cancer which spread to a local lymph node. I don't know very much about this, I haven't started medical school yet. I looked the condition up in a merck manual, and the outlook was very poor. It said less than 5% of these patients live even 5 years after diagnosis. We just found out and are waiting to hear more from the doctors. Can any of you tell me what you know about this from your clinical experience? Is there somekind of new treatment available? Is the prognosis really that bad? I would be very grateful for any thing you guys can offer about this. Myself and family are very upset right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Jersey Girl,

I am sorry to hear about your grandfather, but not to worry, I am sure he will do fine. My prayers to you and your family...

As for the cancer, did they tell you what type of cancer it is? I just finished my second year and although I have not had much clinical experience, we just finished our Gastrointestinal system and were lectured to extensively by an oncologist regarding neoplasms. It all depends on where the cancer originated. If the doctors told you he had Barrett's esophagus, which is a lower esophageal cancer, that is much different than a cancer originating in the upper esophagus which is a squamous cell carcinoma and is the most common (about 90-95% we were told). Barrett's Esophagus is a type of adenocarcinoma which may have a different prognosis and is usually associated with gastroesophageal reflux disease. Overall, prognosis really depends on how much metastasis there is and whether or not there is lymph node invovlement. Usual treatments are surgery or chemo if it is spread to the nodes.

You can read up on the internet about it as well. I may have not helped much, but hopefully I gave you some insight. Of course, I don't know anything yet, so definately have you and your family ask the doctor or doctors to explain to you what type of prognosis your father has.

Maybe post on the rotations and residencies page and ask some of the residents...they should know a lot more than me! Best of luck and take care,

kiki~

JerseyGirl,

I am soooooo very sorry to hear about your grandfather. Is he living in the NJ region? Where is he going to go for treatment. Is he far from Philadelphia? I'm just thinking that he should go to a Cancer institute for treatment. Make sure it is a place where they see hundreds, if not thousands, of his case each year. The immediate one that comes to mind is the Kimmel cancer Center in Philadelphia. It's part of the Jefferson Health Network, and it is probably the "best reputed" one in the region. They're one of the hubs responsible for conducting angiostatin clinical trials as well as other ongoing anti-oncogene research. They are really on top of things there.

If you'd like any more information or just want to vent feel free to PM me, as I don't always get a chance to read the threads.

My heart goes out to you and your family.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the responses. Yes, it is a cancer that stems from having Barretts disease, and there is lymph node involvement. He has very bad cardio-myopothy as well. He lives in florida and he refuses to leave there to come here (NJ NY) for treatment. He just got married, and he wants to get treatment in florida. I wish he would come out here though. I know Kimmel is very good. Thank you again. I appreciate the posts.

Jersey,

Florida is his home. I understand that he wants to be at home. There are plenty of very good medical centers down in Florida with excellent treatment programs. Perhaps some on this board can point you towards some large medical centers in Florida that you could recommend to him.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Jersey Girl:
•Thank you for the responses. Yes, it is a cancer that stems from having Barretts disease, and there is lymph node involvement. He has very bad cardio-myopothy as well. He lives in florida and he refuses to leave there to come here (NJ NY) for treatment. He just got married, and he wants to get treatment in florida. I wish he would come out here though. I know Kimmel is very good. Thank you again. I appreciate the posts.•••••