Stagnant MCAT AAMC Practice 506, 506

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sussieQ2005

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I work full time so have been reviewing content from 8/2019-12/2019. I took my first practice test in 12/2019 and second in 1/25/2020. I really increased my studying and practice in january but have the same exact score as december.

Specifically:
Chem: 127
CARS: 129
Bio: 125
Psych: 125

I figure because CARS is my best section, I have a content gap. What are your thoughts for increasing this overall score? I sit for the MCAT in 4/04/2020. I would really want a 508 if possible. Which section should I focus the most on? I am a chemical engineer so I didn't have much bio/psych in school. I also am on my second gap year and planning to apply for the 2021 cycle.

I work full time so I do have the money to pay for a course if necessary. What I currently have been doing is reading/ taking notes Kaplan books along with free study guides I have found online, taking the quizzes, and sitting for an exam every two weeks since beginning of January. I also take an amino acid quiz everyday and know all of them well. I have also started going through the Psych AMCAS outline and making flashcards, but this hasn't seemed to help. I study about 2-4 hours a day. Do a CARS passage everyday starting this past week.

I feel like I do a lot, but I thought it would be better and am concerned its not. Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Psych can be improved upon easily. Google and read the "100 page document" and follow along with the khan academy videos. Guaranteed 128 on that section.

Reactions: 1 user
You’re in a good place. Here’s why: your cars score is excellent. Doing well in cars is the secret to doing well on the MCAT because all sections are cars-esque. You probably do have content gaps that You can fill in. I would save any remaining AAMC FLs that you have until March when you need to be doing all AAMC practice. For February, get some 3rd party FL exams like Next Step to practice timing, yield stamina, and to help identify weaknesses. Do one FL exam per week under timed conditions. Also look into UWorld, their sections in P/S are particularly strong. Their BB and CP sections are also great for identifying content gaps. With UWorld, try to take it under simulated MCAT conditions (two sections under timed conditions CP and CARS or BB and PS). This will help build your stamina as it should take about 3 hours. Review the errors that You make to identify content gaps as needed.

i’m not sure how much time you have during the week to study in February but a schedule that I often recommend is one full length exam on their time conditions on Saturday. On Sunday and Monday review the mistakes of the exam and review content. Tuesday do one simulated half MCAT with UWorld and review on Tuesday and Wednesday. On Thursday do the second simulated half MCAT and review Thursday and Friday.

You’re in a good place. Here’s why: your cars score is excellent. Doing well in cars is the secret to doing well on the MCAT because all sections are cars-esque. You probably do have content gaps that You can fill in. I would save any remaining AAMC FLs that you have until March when you need to be doing all AAMC practice. For February, get some 3rd party FL exams like Next Step to practice timing, yield stamina, and to help identify weaknesses. Do one FL exam per week under timed conditions. Also look into UWorld, their sections in P/S are particularly strong. Their BB and CP sections are also great for identifying content gaps. With UWorld, try to take it under simulated MCAT conditions (two sections under timed conditions CP and CARS or BB and PS). This will help build your stamina as it should take about 3 hours. Review the errors that You make to identify content gaps as needed.

i’m not sure how much time you have during the week to study in February but a schedule that I often recommend is one full length exam on their time conditions on Saturday. On Sunday and Monday review the mistakes of the exam and review content. Tuesday do one simulated half MCAT with UWorld and review on Tuesday and Wednesday. On Thursday do the second simulated half MCAT and review Thursday and Friday.

Thank you! I really needed motivation to continue studying. I will do my best to do what you recommended. I will take the practice tests every weekend and do at least 2 sections of U World a week. really appreciate your feedback, thanks.

Psych can be improved upon easily. Google and read the "100 page document" and follow along with the khan academy videos. Guaranteed 128 on that section.

Found the document and started working through it with Khan Academy, thanks for the recommendation! Really appreciate it.