Stagnant Waitlists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peterock

"PeeT-Ro'k"
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that several schools that traditionally have TONS of waitlist movement haven't even started accepting people.

Anyone have any idea as to why?

The school's waitlist I'm waiting on even interviewed 50 people less than they did last year, and thats holding the same class size!? Last year at this time, 5 people on SDN alone were taken of the WL.

I don't get it.

Members don't see this ad.

At this time of year my theory with waitlists is the trickle down effect. Basically all med school classes are full by now. The only way for more spots to open up is for someone currently holding a position to get taken off a waitlist at another school and withdraw. So basically if a spot at Harvard opens up whoever takes that spot probably already had a pretty nice acceptance to withdraw from and the chain keeps going down until it reaches the less prestigous schools.

But why are there 15 people taken off the waitlist at a school at 5/31 last year... and 0 taken off the waitlist at the same school at 5/31 this year?

ESPECIALLY when the school interviewed 50 less people (10% of total interviews).

Members don't see this ad :)
Case = stagnant wait list (atleast for me).

Maybe they're just waiting a little longer this year? Or they're being delayed? Did you call up the school and ask? Or maybe, they're taking more time to review applicants, since they interviewed less. What school is this?

Peterock said:
I have noticed that several schools that traditionally have TONS of waitlist movement haven't even started accepting people.

Anyone have any idea as to why?

The school's waitlist I'm waiting on even interviewed 50 people less than they did last year, and thats holding the same class size!? Last year at this time, 5 people on SDN alone were taken of the WL.

I don't get it.

maybe those people who did get off the waitlist did not post...its also possible that the people last year posted way later than the dates of getting off the waitlist and may be similar this year? i dunno...good luck though! :luck: :luck: :luck:

yayme said:
maybe those people who did get off the waitlist did not post...its also possible that the people last year posted way later than the dates of getting off the waitlist and may be similar this year? i dunno...good luck though! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Naw, the school(s) have openly stated that nobody has been taken off the WL or something. Knowing this process, someone has probably yet to return from vacation or something. I mean, it's only our silly little lives that hang in the balance. :rolleyes:

more applicants = more delays is the general trend of why a lot of schools are slower this year.

and since the students holding loyola might be waiting for other places that are taking longer than usual...this obviously would slow down the movement.