stamps for secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tBw

totally deluded
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We have established that one must type secondaries on a pre-1950 typewriter, show only one tooth in secondary pictures, and write "accept me" on the outside of all secondary envelopes, so I was wondering what we should do about the postage stamps for secondaries.

1. Should I lick this, or use those self adhesive ones? Will adcoms analyze my DNA from the saliva or think I am lazy if I use the pre-glue ones?

2. Will use one of those stamps that say "Love" on them increase my chances of acceptance, or should I go with just the one with the American flag?

3. What if I, by accident, place a stamp upside down on one of my secondary envelopes? Will med schools inform other med schools? Do they talk?

4. Should the stamp be equidistant from the edges, or should I show some individuality and place it in the middle of the envelope?

5. What about applying from abroad. Do you think adcoms will look down on me if I use foreign stamps?

Thanks for any help....oh, and btw...chill out already!

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh: my thoughts exactly. sometimes i just wanna scream "chill out!!!"

but seriously, what if we went w/elvis commemorative stamps? what if they don't like the king? :D

I realize that this is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I think that attention to detail is very important in an application. An upside down stamp shows carelessness. A picture of you and your girlfriend with your girlfriend cut out, pasted on your app shows a lack of professionalism.

Granted you can take this to an extreme, but the competition is fierce, and often there is little differentiation between candidates. Adcoms might just use something small and seemingly unimportant to rule you out.

Members don't see this ad :)
to me the upside down stamp shows "i've got 10 minutes to mail out these 10 secondaries before i'm late for work because i have a life outside of sitting and praying to get into medical school," rather than carelessness. while i don't disagree that attention to detail is important, there is something to be said about just doing a good job and then seeing what comes of it, rather than obsessing over minutae.

just my 2cents.:D

dude, what are you guys talking about? Who mails their secondaries? I am personally having all my secondaries fitted with nano honing devices and driven from my office in Atlanta to each medical school via a titanium covered armored car surrounded by a police convoy, and the admissions director can only access it by passing a metal detector and retinal bioauthorization scan.

tee hee... and nanostuff has the potential to be self-replicating, so in the event that your secondary fell into the wrong hands, it could just reproduce itself and distribute itself worldwide! :laugh:

Wait. Wait. So is it bad that I attached my "Why Do You Want To Go Here" essay straight from the tampon box i jotted it on? And please don't tell me that the lipstick kisses I put all over the envelope are a bad idea. Heh, I suppose that next you'll inform me that including a $35 cash tip and the three travel vouchers to Hawaii wasn't a smart move.

Originally posted by Pickle Salt
Wait. Wait. So is it bad that I attached my "Why Do You Want To Go Here" essay straight from the tampon box i jotted it on?

I don't know - were they jumbo size ones?

Wait. Wait. So is it bad that I attached my "Why Do You Want To Go Here" essay straight from the tampon box i jotted it on?

...and how did you fit the box in the typewriter?

Actually the 3 tickets to Hawaii is not a bad idea. I would be much cheaper and less stressful than applying to the carefully selected 25 schools that I applied to.

Wonder and Pickle, I'm rollin' on the floor cryin'. That sh-t is too funny.

*curtsy*

...and no they were not jumbo tampons. Light flow.

this is hilarious!

Members don't see this ad :)
er, bump

bump, ehh?

Well, just an update, most of my secondaries have officially reached their destinations, but the admissions director at Temple must have had a LASIK or something recently and failed the bioauthorization, so one of my armed guards had to bust a cap in his *ss when he tried to take my 55 bucks. It looks like I wont be going to that med school any more, I'm sorry but I'm not taking any chances and thats just the way it is sending these secondaries.

What the heck does bump mean anyways?

Originally posted by pAkhtmAn
What the heck does bump mean anyways?

Some people will say it is an acronym for "Bring Up My Post." But it really means that someone is posting just to bring that thread to the top of the forum page. Every time someone posts in a thread, that thread is moved to the top of the page. It is a way of insuring that as many people will see it as possible.

Originally posted by the boy wonder

2. Will use one of those stamps that say "Love" on them increase my chances of acceptance, or should I go with just the one with the American flag?

I think the proper etiquette is to use the "Love" stamp for your first choice school, and American Flag stamps for the rest.:D

bump....so you can see where all this madness is headed ;)

Let the insanity begin!

This topic actually came up with me and my wife yesterday. My careful stamp placement got me accepted into Creighton for this year. My wife is now stamping things on her job applications in preparation for our move.

She wanted to use the "Love" stamps. I insisted that she use 2 lighthouse stamps that were carefully placed on the envelope. I hope that my analness will pay off for her as well!

does the neurosis never end?

if u can't get the adcom's attention w/ ur stats, get their attention by posting 37 1 cent stamps all over ur envelope or 60 1 cent stamps all over one of the larger sized envelopes. :D

how about arranging the 60 one cent stamps in the shape of a caduceus? i used to like the antique toys ones but I thought they might give the impression that either I, or the people at the admissions office, were old and dated. Things to think about, you know.

:laugh:

i found it especially fitting of late, when some of the more, uh, high-strung folks around here have said things like "yeah you may sound all chill and whatnot now and think this is a bunch of laughs, but what about when you were applying? i'm sure you were all anxious like we were, jumping on info at every opportunity, scared and nervous......" ad nauseum in threads that were intended to be fun and lighthearted and making fun of the whole process. yeah we're all scared and nervous at some point. but humor helps alleviate things like that. :D

note, my post is what, #2 on this thread, dated in july of '02. note my membership began in july of '02. i also began my app cycle in july of '02. not everyone had, uh, anxiety-what-are-my-chances-must-post issues upon beginning this process. :laugh: ;)

but i seriously went w/DW's nano homing device, for all interested.

I can't believe the cavalier attitude with which you are all approaching this essential question! I'm horrified to be a member of this community. When will you people realize this is serious business??? When I read a post I want to get real useful information!

I mean, with my 4.5 GPA and and 46 MCAT I have to take this s*&% seriously!!! I have ulcers, people! Show some respect!

If the envelope isn't gold embossed and hand delivered by at least a dozen virgins in flowing white gowns you might as well GIVE UP NOW!!!

Geez, stamps...

T

must breathe...gasp...

Originally posted by TheresaW
I can't believe the cavalier attitude with which you are all approaching this essential question! I'm horrified to be a member of this community. When will you people realize this is serious business??? When I read a post I want to get real useful information!

I mean, with my 4.5 GPA and and 46 MCAT I have to take this s*&% seriously!!! I have ulcers, people! Show some respect!

If the envelope isn't gold embossed and hand delivered by at least a dozen virgins in flowing white gowns you might as well GIVE UP NOW!!!

Geez, stamps...

T

must breathe...gasp...

now THAT'S the "bump up the AA thread" attitude i like to see! :D

Originally posted by GoodMonkey
now THAT'S the "bump up the AA thread" attitude i like to see! :D
just what I was thinking :D

stamps??!!
you losers.....
i just put the schools address in the upper left corner and mail it to myself. that way it gets "returned" to the adcomms.:horns: