Standard of care in locally advanced HNSCC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Palex80

RAD ON
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is your institutions standard of care in HNSCC.

We have been doing concomitant radiochemotherapy with 2x1,2 Gy to 74,4 Gy and giving 3 cycles of cisplatin (3x100mg).

I was quite astonished when I read the abstract of an ASCO presentation by a spanish group advocation induction CT followed by RCT.
http://www.asco.org/ASCOv2/Meetings/Abstracts?&vmview=abst_detail_view&confID=65&abstractID=31776

This is (to my knowledge) the first trial to demonstrate a clinical benefit through induction CT before RCT in HNSCC.

What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I had recently come across that ASCO abstract too. I wish they could have just stuck with one regimen for induction, but the data is certainly compelling. If some more studies start to roll in, this will definitely need to make us examine the role of systemic therapy in HNC.

It would have been great if the TAX 324 (Posner et al) study had looked at this question first, rather than trying to compare induction TPF vs PF, and then throwing concurrent carboplatin into the mix.

Oh boy, this is a big pet-peeve of my mine.

First of all, the standard of care for locally advanced H&N is (IMO) dose-painted IMRT with concurrent cisplatin x3.
If a patient is not fit enough to receive cisplatin then a carboplatin substitution is acceptable. If your medical oncologist is getting kickbacks from ImClone then you can substitue cetuximab.

Point #1, cetuximab has not been proven superior over cisplatin.

Yeah, yeah I know about the Bonner trial. It should have been (XRT + cisplatin) vs (XRT + cetuximab). But that would have shown at least equivalence I'm sure or at possibly even (gasp) superiority of cisplain! ImClone didn't want that and now we'll probably never see such a trial. All we are left with is RTOG 0522 which compares (XRT + cisptlatin) vs (XRT + cisplatin + cetuximab). The beauty of this trial :rolleyes: is that two results are possible:

1) Equivalence -- this still doesn't answer the question of is cisplatin > cetuximab. So Med Oncs can still happily prescribe the latter.
2) Superiority of cisplatin + cetuximab arm -- this still doesn't answer the question of is cisplatin > cetuximab. So Med Oncs can still happily prescribe cituximab.

Show me a Phase III trial of (XRT + cisplatin) vs (XRT + cetuximab) with the latter shown superior and I will be a believer and personally apologize to Martha Stewart.

Point #2, the PUBLISHED induction CRT trials are poorly designed.

As medgator pointed out above, the Posner trial simply compared TPF to PF with concurrent carboplatin. As one of our attendings says, "All this trial proves is that TPF induction > PF induction when you use half-assed, non-definitive CRT." The Vermorken trial was even worse by omitting concurrnent chemo-XRT altogether and using XRT alone.

All these ASCO abstracts are nice but if induction chemo is so great then submit your work and publish in the JCO and let us see your methodology. Reading over the Spanish abstract I am surprised by the horrendous control rates in the CRT alone arm. At my institution we have 3 year LC rates that are nearly triple what they are reporting.

Finally, TPF is TOXIC as hell. Med Oncs often complain that cisplatin is toxic and therefore substitution with carboplatin or cetuximab is warranted. I would argue the same for TPF - omit and use CRT (with cisplatin) w/o induction.

There, my rant is done. Eager to hear comments. :D

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally, TPF is TOXIC as hell. Med Oncs often complain that cisplatin is toxic and therefore substitution with carboplatin or cituximab is warranted. I would argue the same for TPF - omit and use CRT (with cisplatin) w/o induction.

There, my rant is done. Eager to hear comments. :D

That's a big concern for me. XRT is the definitive therapeutic intervention in HNC. If induction chemo causes a certain subset undue toxicity to the point that they never reach CRT, they will never truly have curative treatment of their disease.

Let's face it, outside of leukemia, lymphoma, and certain GCTs, chemo is just helpin' out. Heck even with lymphoma, you sometimes need RT to take care of those "chemo resistant" nodal recurrences.

And I completely agree with you re: cetuximab. The least they could have done in the RT alone arm is mandate hyperfractionation for everyone, considering the results of RTOG 90-0?. 70 Gy at 2 Gy/Fx alone is not a current standard of care for locally advanced HNC, and it certainly wasnt SOC when the cetuximab trial was going on.

Palex - the spanish trial as presented is hardly worth your consideration. Hitt did not present arms as "intent to treat". You'll see the "N=" drop dramatically between registration and final data. Additionally, the sub-randomization between TPF and PF basically showed no (statistically significant) difference. Flawed trial as presented, and wouldn't base any care off of it.

GFunk/Medgator - Consider, if, as you say RT alone (and as fractionated) wasn't standard of care at the time, then how did they accrue 400+ patients? At the time the trial was designed, the MACH-NC meta-analysis or RTOG 90-03 hadn't been published. For an international trial (heck any trial) you have to make allowances in order to folks to enroll their patients.

Anyway, there is hope on the cetuximab vs cisplatin front, there are a couple ongoing trials looking at that, one for larynx preservation (after induction chemo; also with early results presented this year at ASCO) and one in multiple sites (there's a third arm which I can't recall right now; ongoing in Europe).

What I consider to be the standard of care is 2 Gy/day to 70 Gy with concurrent cisplatin (either weekly or 3 week). If they can't tolerate cis then I would use cetuximab. If they can't have either, I would go with DAHANCA regimen of 2Gy/d with 6 fractions a week to 70 Gy. Palex, I would be careful with acceleration/hyperfractionation with concurrent chemo, at least until RTOG 0129 (I think) comes out, there are trials out there showing showing unusually high rates of toxicity with hyperfrac/chemo combination.

As for what I do, unfortunately my chemotherapist has some made up criteria in his head where he decides to do induction - usually T4 or N3. Since I'm junior by 15 years or so (and new on staff), I gotta go with the flow. It's enough of a battle right now to see the patients before they start chemo.

Thank you all for your replies. A couple of points from my side.

1. I was quite shocked reading about a median of 4 months TTF in the RCT arm. We generally have 1,5 years PFS with concurrent CRT in very advanced HNSCC.
(As you may have noted, I like to call concurrent administration of radiotherapy and chemotherapy RCT and not CRT, since radiation is more important here ans should come first)

2. Induction treatment can indeed hinder correct distribution of concurrent RCT.

3. As far as hyperfractionation/acceleration goes we have used this in both the clinics I have worked in. In my past clinic we used a concomitant boost regime (for logistical reasons too) and gave Mitomycin C, which has demonstrated a quite large survival benefit in a randomized German trial by Budach over hyperfractionated-accelerated RT alone. Toxicity was well manageable and hematologic toxicity was well below the one usual seen with cisplatin.
I do not think that hyperfractionated (and not accelerated) RT would produce long term toxicities and this is demonstrated so far by the published trials. Therefore we use this regime in my current clinic with good results so far.
I do believe that there is still a role for hyperfractionation and acceleration in the case of HNSCC. Results are still pending, but if you look at the cetuximab data, you will see that the patients receiving concomitant boost profitted the most from cetuximab. Therefore I do believe that there is some kind of interaction between chemo/antibodies and fractionation of RT.
We use cetuximab only in unfit patients, which can't get cisplatin.

Palex,

That was the other major criticism of that trial, ie the use of TTF as the primary endpoint. Obvious bias is introduced with the selection of evaluation time - are patients only evaluated for recurrence after RT? Clearly, that would automatically add 2-3 months of time for the induction arm. But yes, their chemo/RT arm had poor results in comparison to other randomized trials.

See the recent exchange in editorials in JCO about the Posner trial. Interesting info regarding what happened to patients with SD/PD after induction.

The trial that gives me pause regarding HFx RT/chemo is the Staar trial - > 50% PEG dependence at 2 years. The Ang RTOG phase II trial of conc boost RT/chemo had a 25% rate. Swallowing toxicity is becoming more recognized as a sequelae of RT/chemo, not well evaluated on earlier trials (eg the Duke trial) and I'm afraid that accelerating or hyperfractionating the RT puts patients at higher risk. So without a clear tumor control benefit of hyperfrac/accel + chemo compared to standard frac/chemo, I'm sticking to the latter.

Palex,
The trial that gives me pause regarding HFx RT/chemo is the Staar trial - > 50% PEG dependence at 2 years. The Ang RTOG phase II trial of conc boost RT/chemo had a 25% rate. Swallowing toxicity is becoming more recognized as a sequelae of RT/chemo, not well evaluated on earlier trials (eg the Duke trial) and I'm afraid that accelerating or hyperfractionating the RT puts patients at higher risk. So without a clear tumor control benefit of hyperfrac/accel + chemo compared to standard frac/chemo, I'm sticking to the latter.
Good point made there.

A couple thoughts about this issue:

1. Agree with GFunk that concurrent CDDP is the standard and Cetuximab is second line concurrent therapy for patients who are unable to tolerate CDDP... Data from 10,700 patient meta-analyses always trumps data from single 425 patient clinical trials.

2. To my knowledge, there are no positive RCTs for concurrent carbo alone. There is data for concurrent Carbo/5FU (GORTEC 94-02, Staar/Semrau, etc). If the patient can't tolerate concurrent CDDP, would favor Cetux or Carbo/5FU as opposed to single agent carbo...

3. I don't think that the data from the Hitt trial influences the standard of care recommendation, which is still up-front concurrent chemoRT with either CDDP 100mg/m2 d 1,22,43 or CDDP/5-FU days 1,29

4. Agree that target volume delineation is difficult after induction chemo, particularly in the setting of a good response. There is a good article about this (Salama et al. Red J 2009) discussing consensus recommendations for target volume delineation after induction chemo. They recommended covering the entire initially involved regions and not discounting the RT dose based on induction chemo response. I think that it is interesting at tumor boards, when medical oncologists advocate for induction TPF because it will make the RT volumes smaller and/or allow us to treat to lower doses. Based on the currently available data, neither of these contentions are true...

5. Hopefully the DECIDE trial (U of Chicago) will help answer the induction TPF --> CRT versus up-front CRT issue. The Paradigm trial (Posner et al.) is complicated and interpretation of the results will be difficult.... and I doubt that this trial will shed any significant light on this question

6. The issue of swallowing dysfunction with accelerated Fx-CRT is a very good point. The GORTEC 99-02 study (ASTRO 2008 plenary) showed no benefit of accelerated (6 fx per week) RT over conventional RT in the setting of concurrent Carbo/5-FU, but did show increased acute toxicity with accelerated treatment. Unfortunately, they did not report long term PEG dependence or dysphagia outcomes. I think that this issue gets back to the subsite of head and neck involved. With IMRT we can spare the constrictor muscles, larynx and esophageal inlet for tumors arising in the oropharynx or nasopharynx or for post-op treatment of the oral cavity. This has been shown to limit late PEG dependence and dysphagia (Eisbruch et al; Calgar et al). This is obviously impossible for tumors of the Larynx and Hypopharynx. Accelerated RT using IMRT with concurrent chemo may be able to improve LC outcomes for tumors of the oropharynx/oral cavity without significantly increasing late toxicity, but this is not likely to be achievable for tumors of the larynx and hypopharynx. I heard that RTOG 0129 is scheduled to be reported at ASTRO this year. I am eager to find out the results of thhat long awaited trial...

7. Finally, I am somewhat suprised that the RTOG moved forward with the 0522 trial after the toxicity observed in the phase II trial from Memorial Sloan Kettering. The MSKCC phase II (Pfisters et al. JCO) had to close early due to 5 grade 4-5 toxicities observed in the first 22 patients enrolled and treated with RT with concurrent CDDP (100mg/m2 q3 weeks) and Cetuximab. 3yr LRC was improved compared to the Bonner study (71% vs 47%), but it is uncommon for a cooperative group to move forward with a phase III trial when the preceding phase II had to be closed by the DSM for excess toxicity. I will be interested to see the toxicity outcomes from the RTOG trial and would be nervous about offering this combination outside of a clinical trial...

There's an old trial by Jeremic with 3 arms 1. RT alone 2. RT + daily cisplatin 3. RT + daily carboplatin. No difference between cis and carbo, both were better than RT alone. I abhor 5FU in this setting; too much overlapping toxicity. With induction TPF, I'm now seeing significant mucositis much, much earlier than I am used to with plain old concurrent RT/cis.

Yeah, RTOG really messed up with 0522. It accrued so rapidly, that in retrospect they should have made it 3 arms (one with cetuximab alone), and dropped the DAHANCA fractionation - I found it to be quite toxic with cisplatin. It is interesting though, that on the Bonner trial if you separate out patients who were treated in the US, the LRC and OS is far superior; in the 70% range for the former (I forget the latter).

2. To my knowledge, there are no positive RCTs for concurrent carbo alone. There is data for concurrent Carbo/5FU (GORTEC 94-02, Staar/Semrau, etc). If the patient can't tolerate concurrent CDDP, would favor Cetux or Carbo/5FU as opposed to single agent carbo...

4. Agree that target volume delineation is difficult after induction chemo, particularly in the setting of a good response. There is a good article about this (Salama et al. Red J 2009) discussing consensus recommendations for target volume delineation after induction chemo. They recommended covering the entire initially involved regions and not discounting the RT dose based on induction chemo response. I think that it is interesting at tumor boards, when medical oncologists advocate for induction TPF because it will make the RT volumes smaller and/or allow us to treat to lower doses. Based on the currently available data, neither of these contentions are true...

6. The issue of swallowing dysfunction with accelerated Fx-CRT is a very good point. The GORTEC 99-02 study (ASTRO 2008 plenary) showed no benefit of accelerated (6 fx per week) RT over conventional RT in the setting of concurrent Carbo/5-FU, but did show increased acute toxicity with accelerated treatment. Unfortunately, they did not report long term PEG dependence or dysphagia outcomes. I think that this issue gets back to the subsite of head and neck involved. With IMRT we can spare the constrictor muscles, larynx and esophageal inlet for tumors arising in the oropharynx or nasopharynx or for post-op treatment of the oral cavity. This has been shown to limit late PEG dependence and dysphagia (Eisbruch et al; Calgar et al). This is obviously impossible for tumors of the Larynx and Hypopharynx. Accelerated RT using IMRT with concurrent chemo may be able to improve LC outcomes for tumors of the oropharynx/oral cavity without significantly increasing late toxicity, but this is not likely to be achievable for tumors of the larynx and hypopharynx. I heard that RTOG 0129 is scheduled to be reported at ASTRO this year. I am eager to find out the results of thhat long awaited trial...

7. Finally, I am somewhat suprised that the RTOG moved forward with the 0522 trial after the toxicity observed in the phase II trial from Memorial Sloan Kettering. The MSKCC phase II (Pfisters et al. JCO) had to close early due to 5 grade 4-5 toxicities observed in the first 22 patients enrolled and treated with RT with concurrent CDDP (100mg/m2 q3 weeks) and Cetuximab. 3yr LRC was improved compared to the Bonner study (71% vs 47%), but it is uncommon for a cooperative group to move forward with a phase III trial when the preceding phase II had to be closed by the DSM for excess toxicity. I will be interested to see the toxicity outcomes from the RTOG trial and would be nervous about offering this combination outside of a clinical trial...

I know most people hate this drug, but I love it for some reason!
Perhaps because of the cute purple colour?

Anyways, Mitomycin C can be an alternative to Cisplatin. There is a good phase III trial which has tested dose-escalated accelerated RT versus normal-dose accelerated RCT with Mitomycin C and came up with a survival benefit for the RCT arm (Budach).

I always here the medical oncologists talk about how toxic Mitomycin C can be, etc. I have seen hundreds of patients taking Mitomycin C (H&N+Anal cancer) and have witnessed a single one with a life threatening complication because of the drug. On the other hand I could count at least 6 patients or so which have died due to Cisplatin chemotherapy.

As far as standard of care, GFunk pretty much spoke for me on the issue. I'll add a few thoughts:

"First of all, the standard of care for locally advanced H&N is (IMO) dose-painted IMRT with concurrent cisplatin x3"--Solid answer. The one respect in which this differs from the preponderance of clinical practice is the chemo schedule. Many have adopted a standard of 30 mg/m^2 weekly, rather than the 100 mg/m^2 days 1, 22, and 43. To my knowledge, this schedule hasn't been rigorously tested in prospective trials, although there is certainly a robust cohort of retrospective outcomes reported. One kind of obscure trial tested 20mg/m^2 weekly and was actually negative (Haselow et al., 1990). To be clear, I'm fine with the once weekly approach despite the lack of randomized data. Certainly, there are those who would say "If you're going to use the RCT data to support your treatment approach, you have to treat the way the trials did". Fair enough, but how many of those pivotal trials used IMRT planning? That would be none.

Let's do what we did in the prostate thread and apply a little context and thought to the process. The major benefit of concurrent chemo is to potentiate the effect of radiation, as evidenced in the 2009 MACH-NC meta-analysis. If this is the case, doesn't lower but more frequent dosing of chemo make sense from a pharmacokinetics standpoint? I'm hunting for the reference, but I believe that one positive chemoRT trial used 5mg/m^2 daily, but I think this isn't likely to be widely adopted. I fully agree with the comments regarding both the Bonner trial and 0522. The unfortunate reality in modern trial design is that there is a big incentive to come up with trials that are more likely to generate a positive result. A comparison of RT-cis vs RT-cetux would have a greater impact on clinical practice, but it is also less likely to generate a definitive result. I doubt a non-inferiority trial of this sort would have cemented FDA approval of cetuximab the way the Bonner trial did. As an aside, I find that nearly everyone in my community uses concurrent cetuximab for SCCHN unless the patient's insurance doesn't pay for it.:(

As far as induction chemo goes, I've previously been open to using it as TarHeel implied, primarily on big T4 or N3 tumors, but I've certainly struggled with the concept of field reduction. I've never reduced a field for a T4 lesion even with a good response to chemo, but I have done so in N3 necks simply because the compartment at risk is physically smaller. When comparing before and after CTs, and observing that your pre-chemo GTV would now extend outside the patients neck, I think even the docs in the consensus panel would give you the green light to pare the field down. My main concern with widespread adoption of induction chemo for SCCHN is three-fold:

1) There is no evidence that it is superior to concurrent chemo, and actually data from the MACH-NC (albeit via indirect comparison) that concurrent chemo is superior in terms of overall survival. As alluded to earlier, the Vermorken and Posner trials are touting one induction regimen as superior to other without addressing the question of why one should do induction in the first place.

2) If one buys in to the concept of accelerated repopulation in SCCHN (I do), then delaying definitive local therapy seems like a bad idea.

3) The attrition rate for induction chemo has been commented upon. In the Posner trial, nearly 1/3 of patients discontinued treatment dring the induction phase, half for adverse events and half due to progressive disease. While the therapeutic nihilist in me sees some value in allowing biologically aggressive disease to "declare itself" during induction, I can't help but wonder if we might have altered outcomes in some of those patients by early initiation of local therapy.

Once again, great exchange!

That was it! Jeremic is the Rodney Dangerfield of radiation oncology. He has some really good trials, but I never end up mentally filing them where they belong.

Yeah- that guy is a trial machine.

Yeah- that guy is a trial machine.
I've worked at the same place he used to and he's a very decent, smart and amusing guy too.
IMHO his "coolest" trial was the randomised +/- thoracic radiation therapy trial for ED-SCLC in CR/PR after first line chemotherapy. Brilliant idea.
Too bad most medical oncologists have never heard of the trial and I keep having to persuade them that this trial exists and actually shows an OS benefit.

By the way, how do you give Cisplatin for locally advanced HNSCC?
1x100 mg/m2: d1,22,43?

We give 20mg/m2/d: d1-5, 22-26, 43-47.

I've worked at the same place he used to and he's a very decent, smart and amusing guy too.
IMHO his "coolest" trial was the randomised +/- thoracic radiation therapy trial for ED-SCLC in CR/PR after first line chemotherapy. Brilliant idea.
Too bad most medical oncologists have never heard of the trial and I keep having to persuade them that this trial exists and actually shows an OS benefit.

I was thinking the same thing, when his name was first brought up.

http://jco.ascopubs.org/cgi/content/abstract/17/7/2092

I'm only familiar with the broad outlines of Paradigm, as it is not open at any site I've been affiliated with. Interested to know your thoughts/concerns regarding the trial

5. Hopefully the DECIDE trial (U of Chicago) will help answer the induction TPF --> CRT versus up-front CRT issue. The Paradigm trial (Posner et al.) is complicated and interpretation of the results will be difficult.... and I doubt that this trial will shed any significant light on this question

I'm only familiar with the broad outlines of Paradigm, as it is not open at any site I've been affiliated with. Interested to know your thoughts/concerns regarding the trial

Paradigm Trial

Eligibilty: Ages >18 y, St III-IV HNSCC

Randomization:
Arm 1: P + AF-CB RT vs
Arm 2: TPF → RT + (Cb or T)

The trial design is above. The main problems are (1) that the concurrent chemo is not the same in both arms (CDDP vs Carbo or Taxotere), (2) the radiation is not the same in both arms (AFxCB vs conventional fractionation), and (3) the concurrent chemo is different based on response to TPF (CR/PR patients get Carbo concurrent, <PR patients get Taxotere concurrent).​

I heard recently that this trial closed due to poor accrual. Accrual problems may have been related to the convoluted study design. The SWOG trial also closed a couple years ago. So the DECIDE trial will hopefully answer the question of induction TPF (only 2 cycles in DECIDE, compared to 3 cycles in other trials)... rumor has it that DECIDE is on schedule to meet its accrual goals.​