standard score or percentile on DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-Which one is more important?

-Also, if DAT score is like so so (around 18-20) but GPA is pretty good or not so high GPA with super DAT score, which one has a better chance?

p.s. sorry if someone else has posted this. I'm just curious to know

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Okay let's say you have two AA scores and percentiles:

Student A with 24 (95%)
Student B with 21 (94%)

Obviously student B got the harder test because about the same # of test takers got his/her score or lower for that particular test. But if I were looking at the scores I think I'd notice the 24 over the 21.

Seriously, anything 21+ would be great.

And for the GPA/DAT question, I think it depends on the school you are applying to. Some schools want a higher GPA. Others look at the DAT as a good predictor of dental school performance. Figure out which one of yours is better, then figure out which schools want that one to be high. Then apply to those.

TBH I think a high DAT will give you a better edge than a high GPA, simply because enough people can get a 3.7 or higher but the DAT seems to be designed to average around a 17 with a nice spread. I got a 26 AA; had I gotten a 20, I doubt I'd have gotten into so many schools (maybe only a couple).

Had I gotten a 19 with a 3.8 instead of a 3.46, I'm sure I'd have gotten into a bunch of schools but I don't think it would have been as many.