Standards for Capacity- Disability and med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeatmonkey

Wannabe Slacker
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I used to post on here about a year ago, but havent been around for a while. I have a question regarding the Standards for Capacity, or Technical Standards required for acceptance into medical school for persons with physical disabilities.
I had some nasty guy at my school tell me it was pointless to even apply :mad:

Anyway, a little about my story if it helps...
I've had chronic joint pain for about 6 years because of bilateral patellar malalignment and osteoarthritis in both my knees. I took the spring semester off to try a surgical technique where they surgically broke my shine bones and realigned them. Unfortunatly they also cut my lateral ligament because it was too tight. After a series of unusual complications I was diagnosed with a rare hereditary connective tissue disorder called Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome which causes hypermobility (ligament laxity) in most of my small and large joints (the surgery I had made me worse). At this point I usually have to wear braces on atleast 3-4 joints at any given time because of frequent dislocations. My mobility is fairly limited and I currently walk with a cane. The syndrome is degenerative and I will most likely loose most of my mobility as I get older which will probablly restrict me to a wheelchair although that won't be for hopefully another 10-15 years.

Blah blah sob story. All of this started this past January so it is still new to me. Because of the time I missed in school I probablly will not apply to medical school for another 2 years, and thats only if i am able to restrict the necessary surgeries to the summer and not miss more school.

Is it really feasible for medical schools to not accept me for disability reasons or was this guy just being a jackass. I know that I wouldnt be able to go into certain specialties because of this, but I'm going to beat someone with my cane if all the hard work I've put into school was just a waste :mad:
I asked my Rheumatologist and she didnt answer me :scared: lol.. If I have the proper pain management I am sure that I would still be able to succeed in medical school, but then again maybe I'm just beind delusional

If anyone knows anyone whos been in a similar situations or anything along those lines I would greatly appreciate you insight in this matter..

Thanks
Steph

Members don't see this ad.

I am sorry to hear about the problems. The really only "standard" that most schools have is that you are able to do a physical and write down your notes with minimal assistance. I think you should be just fine.

jeatmonkey said:
Hi,

I used to post on here about a year ago, but havent been around for a while. I have a question regarding the Standards for Capacity, or Technical Standards required for acceptance into medical school for persons with physical disabilities.
I had some nasty guy at my school tell me it was pointless to even apply :mad:

Anyway, a little about my story if it helps...
I've had chronic joint pain for about 6 years because of bilateral patellar malalignment and osteoarthritis in both my knees. I took the spring semester off to try a surgical technique where they surgically broke my shine bones and realigned them. Unfortunatly they also cut my lateral ligament because it was too tight. After a series of unusual complications I was diagnosed with a rare hereditary connective tissue disorder called Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome which causes hypermobility (ligament laxity) in most of my small and large joints (the surgery I had made me worse). At this point I usually have to wear braces on atleast 3-4 joints at any given time because of frequent dislocations. My mobility is fairly limited and I currently walk with a cane. The syndrome is degenerative and I will most likely loose most of my mobility as I get older which will probablly restrict me to a wheelchair although that won't be for hopefully another 10-15 years.

Blah blah sob story. All of this started this past January so it is still new to me. Because of the time I missed in school I probablly will not apply to medical school for another 2 years, and thats only if i am able to restrict the necessary surgeries to the summer and not miss more school.

Is it really feasible for medical schools to not accept me for disability reasons or was this guy just being a jackass. I know that I wouldnt be able to go into certain specialties because of this, but I'm going to beat someone with my cane if all the hard work I've put into school was just a waste :mad:
I asked my Rheumatologist and she didnt answer me :scared: lol.. If I have the proper pain management I am sure that I would still be able to succeed in medical school, but then again maybe I'm just beind delusional

If anyone knows anyone whos been in a similar situations or anything along those lines I would greatly appreciate you insight in this matter..

Thanks
Steph

Hmm, I can't say I'm in a similar situation, but I do have a couple questions for you to think about. Firstly, do you know what type of EDS you have? This has major consequences when it comes to your clinical course and what sorts of complications you might suffer in the future. EDS is not typically considered "degenerative," but each type carries its own potential risks, and all of them cause you to heal slowly when you've had any sort of soft tissue injury, as you well know. If you don't know what type you have, I would strongly, strongly recommend you see a geneticist (if you haven't already) for a full workup.

However. Not all types of EDS follow the same progression, and not everyone can be neatly categorized into the known types. There are many people out there with EDS who live quite normal lives. I cannot think of a single reason EDS should prevent you from going into medicine. Now, you're right, there are probably some specialties you shouldn't go into. . .orthopedics springs to mind. There may even be some accomodations you have to make; you may not be able to be on your feet for very long periods of time when you're doing your rotations in hospital. But with proper pain management and an eye on your own health, you should be able to do what you love.

Don't listen to that guy, he's a *****. If anything, you'll make a better doctor than most people, since you know all too well what it's like to be a patient. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,
Thanks so much for the reply,

I havent been specifically classified yet. I do have some heart problems ( mitral valve prolapse), but since the vascular type of the syndrome is very rare my Rheumy is hesitant to make a firm classification. Its most likely the old type III, or hypermobility type. My main problem with degeneration is from the early onset of osteoarthritis which is a result of the EDS. I currently have flare ups in most joints such as: tendonitis in my elbows, carpel tunnel, tarpel tunnel( ankles) ect.. I also have marked osteopenia, or osteoporosis in my bones. So while the EDS isnt necessarily a degenerative illness, the problems that have stemmed as a result of it are.. just wanted to clarify because I didnt go into a lot of detail. Im also developing some peripheral nerve problems from the laxity in my spine but thats not my main problem right now. Also, I just found out I have a family member with EDS hypermobility type who was tested by a geneticist, so we know it runs in the family, but I have not been in to see one yet.
Hopefully my leg issues can be worked out ( Im only 21, so way too young for joint replacement, most Orthopaedic surgeons don't want to go near me lol), but I am concerned with the issues I'm having with my wrists, elbows, and shoulders. I had to buy a special desk attachment to type on the computer, but so far my handwriting isnt becoming a problem aside from pain. I guess we will see how I do when I start school again in the fall..
Thank you so much for your support. Its been a tough year and I'm coming to the realization that I can't take things for granted anymore. I'm finally walking again after my surgery, even if it is with a cane, its better than nothing.

Thanks guys,
Steph :)

The more details you provide, the more I think you'll do fine with the technical standards, and that you should definitely pursue your dream of being a doctor. While osteoporosis and arthritis are certainly serious conditions, they're nothing that should keep you from medicine. I mean, plenty of older generation doctors have these conditions. . .the doctor I work for now is arthritic! And as I said before, EDS is something you'll always have to keep in mind, but there are people with EDS who do all kinds of things. Practicing medicine should be well within your physical capacity.

Even the issues with pain and handwriting won't be so bad, now that so many hospitals are transitioning over to fully electronic records. By the time you get through your classroom years, it's more than likely that your notes will be typed in rather than scribbled in a chart.

I hope things start getting better for you soon. You seem like a very strong person, just be sure not to let the jerks get you down. Take care!

Hey
I have JRA, so I know where you're coming from. Thankfully my own arthritis is currently in remission and I don't have to worry about it at the moment. I just wanted to chime in and say that you can totally do this. People with a variety of physical disabilities have gone through medical school and are now doctors. This includes people in wheelchairs, people with dwarfism, etc. (e.g. there is actually an orthopedic surgeon at Johns Hopkins who has achondroplastic dwarfism).

Also, look around for doctors who would be willing to do joint replacements on your knees, if they really are that bad. 21 is definitely not too young for joint replacement surgery; I know a girl who by the age of 16 had both knees, both hips, and both shoulders replaced! Obviously this is horrible to have to go through, but everybody I know who has had joint replacements has said it was the best decision they could have made, and many wonder why they didn't do it sooner. After my father had his hip replaced, he woke up and basically said, "hey, my hip doesn't hurt." That was right after the surgery; obviously the incision hurt, but the underlying joint pain was gone.

I don't want to sound like I'm pushing joint replacement, but I just know so many people who have benefited from it. If your knees are in terrible shape, you should look into it. New knees could have you walking around without pain (at least from the knees) for decades to come.