***Stanford - Class of 2011***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mudphud13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who loves Stanford Medical School? I was just accepted last night and I would love to get to know my new / potential classmates. :love: After getting my acceptance there is a lot of love in the air. I feel like I love everyone and everything. :)

Also, more specifically have you guys (new Stanford acceptees) checked out the housing situation?

I know this sounds pre-mature, but Stanford was my first choice so I after the call last night I am diving in head first and making my way out to Palo Alto, ASAP. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Who loves Stanford Medical School? I was just accepted last night and I would love to get to know my new / potential classmates. :love: After getting my acceptance there is a lot of love in the air. I feel like I love everyone and everything. :)

Also, more specifically have you guys (new Stanford acceptees) checked out the housing situation?

I know this sounds pre-mature, but Stanford was my first choice so I after the call last night I am diving in head first and making my way out to Palo Alto, ASAP. :rolleyes:

Were you accepted to the MD/PhD program mudphud??? When did you interview? I thought we weren't supposed to officially hear anything till march? Was your acceptance through email or snail mail?

Were you accepted to the MD/PhD program mudphud??? When did you interview? I thought we weren't supposed to officially hear anything till march? Was your acceptance through email or snail mail?

Hey don't panic. I interviewed on Dec 1st and I got the call this past Thurs. 1/25. As for mudphud, I already have a PhD and I will pursue my MD from Stanford. Definately the long way to go.

There is a thread about Stanford acceptances, where people are tracking the acceptances. So far always on a Thursday.

GOOD LUCK!
:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I found out that I got in today by e-mail, not by call. Very excited!

hey do you guys know where you plan to live? when do we have to submit housing forms by?

hey do you guys know where you plan to live? when do we have to submit housing forms by?

I don't know yet. I am still waiting for my packet in the mail which is supposed to have housing info. Rent in the area seems pretty expensive. The university has subsidized housing, although I am no clear (website - contradictory) if this will be available to us. So far all i know is that on-campus and off-campus housing through the university is accepted april through may.

I hope our packets clear things up. Have you gotten yours yet? :)

The acceptance packet mentioned some sort of e-mail list for students entering in '07. Does anyone know more about that? Also, I think the 2nd look is the last weekend in April, so I'm guessing that's around April 28-29.

Hey folks, I gotta say I'm psyched to be able to add to this thread, and congrats to you all. I live pretty far from Cali right now, and may or may not be able to come back for 2nd look, so if anyone has info on housing (typical cost, location, do I need a car?, what's w/ the subsidized housing, etc.) that they'd like to post as they learn of it, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

I'm a future Stanford student as well :)

Regarding housing, many students live both on and off campus. The on campus options are the grad housing (a bit far away, other side of campus near the undergraduate dorms), but nice and cheap, and roughly reflect the housing costs: http://www.stanford.edu/dept/hds/has/tour/gradtour/rateschart.html

They also used to have off campus subsidized housing, but from when I talked with them, they said that they're cancelling the program this year. Too bad, since those apartments were really nice, as well as close to the medical school.

Off campus, people usually have cars (although there's a huge population of bikers). But parking seems pretty easy to get.

Looking forward to meeting you all at Stanford!

I'm curious about the opinions of East-coasters who are contemplating a move to CA (since it seems like this applies to half the class). Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious about the opinions of East-coasters who are contemplating a move to CA (since it seems like this applies to half the class). Thanks.

I'm an east coaster thinking about Stanford for next year. It is not so much the move to California that worries me (I think that would actually be pretty great, though I'm sure it would be hard to be away from my support system, and I would be giving up a pretty fantastic relationship), but the move from New York to Palo Alto. I'm just not sure if I can handle living in the suburbs for 4 or 5 years. I love the school (P/F, research focus, small class size), but I'm not sure about the location both for personal preference and for exposure to diverse patient populations. I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I really think I might prefer Baltimore to Palo Alto. I'm trying to scrounge up some money to make it back for second look, and hopefully that will give me a better idea of what the area is really like. Anyone have any fun facts about Palo Alto to help me?

just got the call today!!! :) so excited :D

so second look is on april 20-22, right? also, do you guys know if stanford covers costs for second look?

good to see this thread out there; congrats on those accepted, stanford is an amazing place for med school! especially if you play your cards right. If anyone has questions shoot me a message.

Anyone have a concrete answer for when second look weekend is? I thought it was last week of april (26-28)... Congrats to everyone who got in! I'm pretty sure I'll be joining you in the fall....

EDIT: Answered my own question: It is April 26-28, checked the MD Student Events calendar on stanford's website.

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone has insights on stanford vs hopkins. Anyone with any good comparison or advantages/disadvantages info about either school? Thanks very much!

Would anyone mind posting/PMing me the schedule for the second look? I got the call :)D) but am still waiting for the packet. I'd like to book my flight right away to save some much needed moola. Thanks!!!

I would appreciate the help! Can't wait to see ya'll in the second look!:thumbup:

I'm an east coaster thinking about Stanford for next year. It is not so much the move to California that worries me (I think that would actually be pretty great, though I'm sure it would be hard to be away from my support system, and I would be giving up a pretty fantastic relationship), but the move from New York to Palo Alto. I'm just not sure if I can handle living in the suburbs for 4 or 5 years. I love the school (P/F, research focus, small class size), but I'm not sure about the location both for personal preference and for exposure to diverse patient populations. I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I really think I might prefer Baltimore to Palo Alto. I'm trying to scrounge up some money to make it back for second look, and hopefully that will give me a better idea of what the area is really like. Anyone have any fun facts about Palo Alto to help me?

Hey - thought I'd throw my two cents in on this issue. I moved from the East Coast to the Bay Area to go to Stanford and have loved it. Adapting to life in the Bay Area is quite easy to do (and, for me at least, it makes it hard to consider going back). Both SF and SJ are quite different from NYC so if you want something similar to that, you won't find it in the Bay Area. If you just want to live in a slightly more dense area, you can easily live in either SF or SJ during the preclinical years. I know several students (and some residents!) who have lived in SF during various parts of their time at Stanford. Living in SF during the clinical years would be more difficult since a lot of the clinical work takes place in the South Bay. The Penisula (where Palo Alto is) actually has substantially better weather than SF as a side note. In general, if you like the outdoors and great weather, then living in Palo Alto is great. If you need to be surrounded by people and have quick access to a subway - then it's not for you.

Regarding your concerns about patient diversity - you will struggle to find medical school clinical training that offers more patient diversity (in terms of socieoeconomic factors, ethnic background, and healthcare access) than what you will experience at Stanford. The Bay Area is one of the most racially diverse areas in the country and you'll be exposed to very large East Asian, South Asian, and Latino immigrant communities. Palo Alto is located in Santa Clara County (1.6 million people - San Jose is also in the county) which is actually more highly populated than San Francisco (700,000 or so). The entire Bay Area is about 7-8 million or so. Stanford has a nice oasis feel to it since the campus is so big and green but it actually sits in one of the more densely populated areas of the country. The county hospital you'll rotate through (Santa Clara Valley) is one of the best county hospitals in the country and, to give you a sense of its size, is twice as big as SF General and about the same size as Cook County in Chicago. Between the academic center, the Valley, the VA, and Santa Clara Kaiser - you'll experience a very broad patient distribution. I personally think a good "county-type" experience is very important to a good clinical education for a lot of reasons and I feel fortunate to be at a school affiliated with an outstanding county hospital.

I've read a lot of very misinformed posts on clinical training at various schools on the pre-allo threads and wanted to add in my own experiences. I have a lot more to say on this if you are interested - just PM me. I don't want to hijack a thread intended for incoming students.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,
Mightaswell throw my lot in here :thumbup:.

I'm a Stanford undergraduate currently, so if you have any qs......

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone has insights on stanford vs hopkins. Anyone with any good comparison or advantages/disadvantages info about either school? Thanks very much!

edit: omg replied to ooolllddd post

City v. Suburb. Which do you want? Baltimore isn't exactly a safe place. A few people at Stanford who worked or did their MD at Hopkins hated Baltimore, but that's a self-selecting group.

Training is more strict at Hopkins I've heard. One faculty here I talked to who did her MD at Hopkins hated it. Stanford is more lax, but that puts the burden on you to learn the material. So q: do you need to be pushed?

Looks like second look is coming up soon! Anyone else going? :)

I'll be there. I can count at least four SDN'ers including myself now.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! I was accepted a few years back and chose not to go and I have questioned that decision a million times. So, I would encourage you guys to really consider it, since it's a fabulous school and don't let anyone tell you that having grades in med school doesn't negatively effect the class or your lifestyle. I don't think my dissatisfaction applies to my school directly, but schools like Yale and Stanford have a much healthier approach to medical education in my opinion (clearly having gone to neither). Best of luck with your decisions!

There's a facebook group for us now called:
Stanford Medical School - Class of 2011