Stanford class size question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by vyc, Mar 14, 2002.

1. vyc

vyc Senior Member

(i know i'm obsessing...)

but i think stanford is very strict on having their class size be exactly 83 or something.

how do they do that?
    do they just send out exactly 83 acceptances initially? or?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus

They send out what they call the 'historical minimum' number of acceptances required to fill a class. I think that's 174. After they've sent out 174 acceptances, they put people on a 'first alternate' list, waitlist, or reject. The 'first alternate' list means that they are on a high-priority waitlist, and if they don't get in this year, they are automatically given a spot in next year's class.

There's a link that someone posted to SDN about a month ago going over all of Stanford's admissions info in great detail. I must have it bookmarked at work, because I don't see it here. You can't get to it from their website - it looks to be some kind of report someone wrote... I'll try to remember to post it again tomorrow from work.

4. Dr. Corday

Dr. Corday Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by brandonite:
    <strong>They send out what they call the 'historical minimum' number of acceptances required to fill a class. I think that's 174. After they've sent out 174 acceptances, they put people on a 'first alternate' list, waitlist, or reject. The 'first alternate' list means that they are on a high-priority waitlist, and if they don't get in this year, they are automatically given a spot in next year's class.

There's a link that someone posted to SDN about a month ago going over all of Stanford's admissions info in great detail. I must have it bookmarked at work, because I don't see it here. You can't get to it from their website - it looks to be some kind of report someone wrote... I'll try to remember to post it again tomorrow from work.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I didn't know about the "first alternate list". Please post the thread if you find it, thanks!

5. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus

I did a search, and found it, and bumped the thread up.

It's called "Stanford Admissions Data".

6. vyc

vyc Senior Member

thanks brandonite!