Stanford D.O.?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Farrah2, Oct 20, 2000.

1. Farrah2

Farrah2 Junior Member

My primary care physician is a D.O. He told me he went to Stanford. I can't find an SCOM or Stanford School of Osteopathy on any of the Osteopathic school listings. Is it possible that an allopathic school would also grant D.O. degrees?

Just curious...

------------------
    Farrah

"The road to success has many parking places." ....Steve Potter

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cjkalmat

cjkalmat Member

Maybe there is some sort of misunderstanding because Stanford does not have a D.O. program.

There are a couple of D.O. schools in Cali. Maybe he ment that he went to school "near" Stanford????

4. ashasnarf

ashasnarf Member

Your doctor who is a D.O. probably meant that he went to Stanford for his intern/residency training. I know several D.O. physicians who went on to residencies at places like Yale, Harvard, JOhns Hopkins etc. I think that many institutions have begun to recognize the value of a D.O. training as well as the calibre of students, and consequently many of them are getting into top notch post graduate medical training positions. Hope this helps!!

5. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    Maybe your primary care doctor meant he went to Stanford as an undergraduate? Stanford only has an MD school and there is no allopathic school that grants DOs to their students.

Or, like the other posters mentioned, he might've done part of his postgraduate training at Stanford-affiliated hospitals.

But if you asked him where he went to "medical school," then he should've said where he went for MEDICAL school and NOT where he went for college and not where he went for his residency. Ridiculous. I ran into the same situation when I was an undergraduate shadowing a physiatrist who was a DO from NYCOM. I knew where he went to med school, but when patients asked him, "Where did you go to school?" he'd reply with "New York Medical College," which is where he did his internship. I asked him about it, and he told me he spent a year at NYMC and "transferred" to NYCOM -- which as we all know today is a crock of crap.

OK, I'm done with my story. [​IMG]

Tim of New York City vs. the BUGS and DRUGS

6. Berto

Berto Junior Member

It is funny that you should mention this. As a student currently applying to many do school I had someone mention the program at Stanford the other day. I told him that there was no program there(because I have many lists and none mention it), but he swore up and down that there was. I wonder if it is not a discontinued program or sponsored by stanford in another location. Please ask him and post his reply because I have been very curious about this same topic.

7. Farrah2

Farrah2 Junior Member

[Please ask him and post his reply because I have been very curious about this same topic.[/B][/QUOTE]

I will definitely ask him for clarification when I see him again. I'll let you know what he says. I know he was a medic in Vietnam, so it's possible it was an old program. I'm pretty sure his residency was in Texas.

Thanks everyone for your replies!!

------------------
    Farrah

"The road to success has many parking places." ....Steve Potter

8. Test Boy

Test Boy Senior Member

I am almost positive he meant he did his residency at Stanford.

9. UHS2002

UHS2002 Senior Member

Where someone did their residency is a lot more important than where they went to med school. Just my .02 cents.

10. richross

richross Member

Since we was a medic in Vietnam, I wonder if he said that he went to the Stanford PA school?

11. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    Norman Gevitz's book on DOs lists every DO school that was established since the late 1800s with the founding of KCOM, but ends with the foundings of several schools in the late 1970s. That leaves schools like LECOM, Pikeville, SFCOM, and AZCOM, all of which were established within recent memory. There is NO mention of Stanford University having a DO school or a DO program.

Like most of the other posters, I agree that he probably meant he did his residency at Stanford.

Tim of New York City.

12. EZEK

EZEK Member

In the 1960s there was a college of osteopathy in California which was closed down, really it was converted into an MD school called the California College of Medicine. Now if this was the precursor to the Stanford College of Medicine, I don't know.

13. Mango

Mango Very Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Two more ideas:

A. He went there for undergrad.

or...

B. The guy just straight up lied to you. Is that so far-fetched?

14. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    Mango, it's not so far-fetched that he lied, but I'm sure the community of both allopathic and osteopathic physicians would like to believe that a doctor wouldn't lie about his training or his credentials (even though the DO I worked with happened to lie through his teeth).

The California College of Medicine. Now that's something straight outta the chapter on the MD/DO merger of the 1960s in California. The College of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons (COP&S) decided that it would be an MD school after both the COA (California Osteopathic Association) and the CMA (California Medical Association) decided it was in the best interest of DOs in CA. The California College of Medicine was never accredited, but they awarded BOGUS MDs to about 2,000 DOs who bought them for a couple of bucks. The newly-minted MDs, however, were upset that their new degrees were 1) useless outside the State of CA and 2) were not well-respected in most hospitals in CA. So they got SCREWED. The California College of Medicine was dissolved to reopen, officially, as the UC-Irvine School of Medicine. Stanford still never had a DO program.

Tim of New York City.