gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Stanford is one of those places rumored to screen based on Honors in the IM clerkship so you're right, it might be an uphill battle. If you can rock your SubI and get Honors there, you might be able to pull it out. The other stuff on your app might help too. Other than that, not much you can do.

drblueshades

Closet Gunner
10+ Year Member
May 22, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I can't speak from personal experience with the Match or for Stanford specifically, but friends and acquaintances of mine have matched at top IM programs with a HP in medicine and a strong overall record from a top medical school. Best wishes for rocking your sub-I and your remaining rotations!

P.S. One of the rotation groups at my school a few years ago was nicknamed "The NRA" because it was so filled with gunners :)

Rumit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2001
Boston
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I know of classmates who have gotten interviews at Stanford IM without honors in medicine clerkship. However, they were AOA, so maybe that makes up for it.

Nov 14, 2010
Status
long time reader, first time poster.....i too was in a tough track for IM during third year, plus one of my attendings and I really didn't get along...left me with a HP....my stats and my interviews so far...yes there is hope!! Do not be discouraged, just continue to work your butt off! Alot of 3rd year is just random chance, but your deans letter will reflect continued hard work and dedication to your patients.
step 1: 263
step 2: 281
3rd year grads: Honors Surgery, Peds, Neuro, Family...HP IM, OBGYN, PSYCH
AOA
4th year grades: Honors IM SUBI, IM elective, 2 other random electives.
5 pubs 1 first authorship
global health experience, some leadership in med school

Interview Invites:
Stanford
UCLA
UCSD
Michigan
Penn
Hopkins
UVA
UNC
DUKE
UTSW
Baylor
Dartmouth
Yale
UWashington
Wash U
Vanderbilt
Uchicago
Northwestern
Emory

Rejected:
UCSF (maybe they screen for Honors in IM?)

Not heard back:
Brigham and Mass Gen

Nov 14, 2010
Status
sorry didnt mean to seem like I'm full of myself....just wanted to reflect that with good other stats that not having Honors in the 3rd year IM rotation will not completely kill your application...which I had previously been concerned about...I was surprised by my step 2 score myself...Good luck to you as well!

vicinihil

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Will that 1 grade really make or kill you??? I mean it's an 8 week experience at my school and if you don't get an A, your chances at top IM programs are shot? I can't imagine it carrying as much weight as your 3rd year overall.

We do an A, A-, B+, B, B- etc here. I'm assuming an honors else where = an A here but would A- also count as honors? B+/b/b- = HP? And C = pass?

Nov 14, 2010
Status
It's a frustrating situation but definitely not hopeless, PilotG205. It sounds like you have a strong application aside from the high pass. From what I have been told in the past, you will likely still be competitive at a lot of very strong programs. However, you may have difficulty securing an interview offer at a handful (5-7) schools because they screen based on getting honors in IM. I do not know if Stanford screens. If there is a top program you are particularly interested in, you could consider doing an away rotation at that program and making some contacts. It's no guarantee, but if you are otherwise qualified that may help you get your foot in the door. I would also talk to your clerkship director and home residency director. They may be willing to go to bat for you to encourage the program you are interested in to look at your application.

In the mean time, keep working hard and honor your sub-I. I am sure you will match at an excellent program.

Last edited: