Stanford IM ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polyp29

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give some info on Stanford's IM residency, such as strengths, weaknesses, rumors, etc?

Also, I can't find salary info anywhere, does anyone know this?

Members don't see this ad.

polyp29 said:
Does it matter? It's Stanford.

orientedtoself said:
Does it matter? It's Stanford.

I personally does think it matters. I don't know the answer but it's something you can ask the housestaff during the interview. You can also ask how far that money goes.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's probably in the range of all other IM housestaff salaries. Granted, the Bay Area is expensive.

polyp29 said:
Can anyone give some info on Stanford's IM residency, such as strengths, weaknesses, rumors, etc?

If anyone could speak to Stanford's weaknesses, I'd appreciate it. I've heard from former applicants and from a PD that they weren't too impressed with Stanford's programs. Aside from that, I've always been impressed by Stanford and don't know what to make of it. Anyone with inside info, done a rotation or has some input?

stanford pays significantly better than any of the uc programs.
1st year salary is around 55K. there's also an additional 3K for housing allowance, and 1K for educational expenses. so total intern pay is 59K for the year.

this pay is comparable to the pay at other santa clara programs. santa clara valley med center and kaiser santa clara all pay around 55K.

this though is much better than any uc program where interns start at 45-49K.

Stanford's SUMC rotations are MALIGNANT. And you have to round with 5 private attendings (well, it's always more than 1) every morning. Santa Clara Valley is more chill. Pay is great.

scrub monkey said:
stanford pays significantly better than any of the uc programs.
1st year salary is around 55K. there's also an additional 3K for housing allowance, and 1K for educational expenses. so total intern pay is 59K for the year.

this pay is comparable to the pay at other santa clara programs. santa clara valley med center and kaiser santa clara all pay around 55K.

this though is much better than any uc program where interns start at 45-49K.

Is this true?! That seems awefully high, 55K for interns? Hell, that's worth it no matter how malignant if you ask me. Can anyone else confirm this to be true? Right now I have not been considering Stanford since I don't want to move (personal reasons) but that salary alone may be worth it. Now all I have to do is actually match there! :eek:

polyp29 said:
Is this true?! That seems awefully high, 55K for interns? Hell, that's worth it no matter how malignant if you ask me. Can anyone else confirm this to be true? Right now I have not been considering Stanford since I don't want to move (personal reasons) but that salary alone may be worth it. Now all I have to do is actually match there! :eek:

dude, cost of living is so high over there, that the 55K ends up evening out... when all is said and done, its comparable to any other IM intern year, unless you are an exceptionally frugal person...

Pars Plana said:
Stanford's SUMC rotations are MALIGNANT. And you have to round with 5 private attendings (well, it's always more than 1) every morning. Santa Clara Valley is more chill. Pay is great.

actually they changed the Stanford Ward structure last year so that you only round with 2 attendings every morning: the hospitalist attending and the Palo Alto Medical Foundation attending. and SCV is not chill, unless you define chill as capping every night on Wards when I was a resident rotating there late last year, then getting called in after overcapping to admit more patients by myself. this is all due to the closing of a nearby hospital due to which SCV, among other hospitals had to absorb more patients. the patient population is pretty cool though.

what year are you at SCV, pars plana? get your facts straight next time.

polyp29 said:

the information is mostly true. interns make more than 50K, and I think the total package adds up to ~ 55K. i'm not sure how much of a raise the interns got this year - it's conceivable salary went up to 55K, but that's more in line with salaries at SCV. they have a union. they also get yogurt on their meal cards.

Actually, the experience at the Valley is considerably different now than it was late last year. It's true that last year we felt the pain of the Regional Medical Center closure, but our administration was extremely responsive. They created attending only teams to take non-teaching patients i.e. cases without teaching points. In addition the day float and chest pain services were restructured. So far this year, noone has had to be reactivated and noone has gone over cap.
We do get yogurt on our meal cards - we also get haagen-daz, starbucks, dasani, candy and chips :)

P Diddy said:
the information is mostly true. interns make more than 50K, and I think the total package adds up to ~ 55K. i'm not sure how much of a raise the interns got this year - it's conceivable salary went up to 55K, but that's more in line with salaries at SCV. they have a union. they also get yogurt on their meal cards.

Anybody know how competitive Santa clara valley is? I don't think they filled all their IM spots in Match? I'm somewhat familiar with SCV, but have got to school in the Arkansas and don't know how hard it would be to match back in CA...any thoughts?

bogi said:
Actually, the experience at the Valley is considerably different now than it was late last year. It's true that last year we felt the pain of the Regional Medical Center closure, but our administration was extremely responsive. They created attending only teams to take non-teaching patients i.e. cases without teaching points. In addition the day float and chest pain services were restructured. So far this year, noone has had to be reactivated and noone has gone over cap.
We do get yogurt on our meal cards - we also get haagen-daz, starbucks, dasani, candy and chips :)

KatieJune said:
Anybody know how competitive Santa clara valley is? I don't think they filled all their IM spots in Match? I'm somewhat familiar with SCV, but have got to school in the Arkansas and don't know how hard it would be to match back in CA...any thoughts?

scvmc used to be more competitive. it's still a very good program, but for some reason it's lost some steam recently. they went pretty deep in their match list last year, and did match a couple fmgs/do's in their categorical program.