Stanford news

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trudub

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone hear anything from Stanford lately? I know they are running way behind, but I have been complete almost three months and no word on an interview.

Members don't see this ad.

give them a call just to check. I had been complete for a few months, and got an e-mail telling me that they were still awaiting my response to the interview offer they e-mailed me several weeks before.

I'd love to know how you guys get a live person to respond to you at Stanford. I've called twice and I always get sent to the voicemail of June somebody who never calls back. :mad: It's annoying since my app was complete back in August!

Theresa

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh man Theresa that is exactly what happens to me. I barely get the words out of my mouth that I'm a med school applicant...and I immediately get transfered to the voicemail of that June person!

Seriously what # are you guys calling, those that get thru? Are you calling something besides the main contact #? Or do I just have bad timing.

:laugh: apparently if you call the guy "June" on SDN, he returns your phone call!:laugh:

doesn't have any useful info though, just the standard "It'll take longer than the usual 6-8 weeks. " Duh. It's been more like 16-18 weeks!

*sigh*

Theresa

I have only once gotten Juhn (I think it is) and the other times I also just got various voicemails.

I actually called after I saw the thread about not getting their email invite - altho I didn't SAY that to them. But he may have gotten alot of other calls along the same line and he was pretty quick with me. I felt stupid for even calling, and when I told that I felt stupid for calling he softened up and explained the way the applications are reviewed by three independent people (student, faculty member and physician, I think), and that the office had moved to another building. So a pretty time consuming process and even longer with the new move.

I just called the admissions office and I was able to get someone right away. I didn't get any voicemails.

I got someone on the phone, but it was a very rude reception. He just referred me to the status page. When I said I was already past the secondary stage, he said "well I guess no news is good news." just have to watch the mail for some sort of letter from them :(

my friend got a phone call from the admissions office saying she was accepted like a week after her interview. must have been nice for her...

Wow... I just opened my email and found an interview invite from Stanford!! I had all but given up since I had been complete since late August without any word. So don't give up hope, they are clearly still interviewing and have slots open from late January on.

:clap:

Originally posted by azpremed
Wow... I just opened my email and found an interview invite from Stanford!! I had all but given up since I had been complete since late August without any word. So don't give up hope, they are clearly still interviewing and have slots open from late January on.

:clap:

Yea, it seems like a round of interview offer emails was sent out on 12/29 or 12/30 (It showed 12/30 on my email)

I wish I heard from them, but I've only been complete since October. :(

Whooooooooo!! I got one too, finally!!!! :) :) dated 12/29
I'm so excited to visit California :) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats to those who got interview invites. do you mind if i ask when your app was complete? thanks:)

What the sam goody?! No word since late August here....

So I talked to my friend at Stanford last night who is one of the students helping to review applications and he said they are still reviewing lots of applications. Sounds like they are still running behind...

all letters, secondaries, etc., had to be in by 12.01.03

Thanks,

I guess they are running behind, and the holidays don't help either. Thanks for the info!

yo, to all those who received interview offers, did they contact you all via email? I heard earlier that they sometimes notify via snail mail only. I'm askin, cuz i haven't gotten any email from them, and I've been complete since early september. :confused:

I got an email, no snail mail yet, unless it is coming later.

Hey Kwanny,

Don't worry, I have not heard from Stanford either. I have been complete since early September, but have received no other information.
I am slightly disappointed because its a great school in an awesome location. Disappointing because I know a few applicants who were complete in mid-to-late September and have received interview offers. We can only cross our fingers and pray each night. Good luck.

-Harps

Originally posted by kwanny
yo, to all those who received interview offers, did they contact you all via email? I heard earlier that they sometimes notify via snail mail only. I'm askin, cuz i haven't gotten any email from them, and I've been complete since early september. :confused:

They probably just started the whole email interview invitation thingy. Or they may have tried to do it in the past few months, but remember that they were having problems with the new computer software? Perhaps that prevented them from sending out interview offers via emails.

yeah, I think Stanford probably switched to emails....cuz didn't some people's invitations get lost in the mail....and then they got an email about why they hadn't responded to the supposed snail mail that was sent out. I wrote it more complicated than it sounds. ;)

Okay, so I got home from work after posting and the snail mail letter was there. It has a little more info about places to stay and stuff like that. Good luck everyone and happy new year!

Originally posted by azpremed
Okay, so I got home from work after posting and the snail mail letter was there. It has a little more info about places to stay and stuff like that. Good luck everyone and happy new year!

I decided to stay at that SLAC Guest House...it's $60/night when I indicated I'm affiliated with the med center.

The SLAC guesthouse is the greatest place! Brand new...television w/DVD player in every room...internet access in the lobby...door to door shuttle to anywhere on campus. I totally recommend staying there.

Originally posted by Pikayou
The SLAC guesthouse is the greatest place! Brand new...television w/DVD player in every room...internet access in the lobby...door to door shuttle to anywhere on campus. I totally recommend staying there.

SLAC rocks! I just wish I could stay at Fermilab for my UChicago interview...mmm..physicists.

I need some help from California people... IF I can get a UCLA interview and have it scheduled for when I fly out for Stanford, I'd like to fly to LAX, interview at UCLA, then drive up to Stanford, spend time in SF, then drive back down and sight-see in LA.

How long is the drive from LA to Palo Alto/Stanford?

Originally posted by Lux Aeterna
I need some help from California people... IF I can get a UCLA interview and have it scheduled for when I fly out for Stanford, I'd like to fly to LAX, interview at UCLA, then drive up to Stanford, spend time in SF, then drive back down and sight-see in LA.

How long is the drive from LA to Palo Alto/Stanford?

I estimate it to be 6-7 hours

It's about 5-6.

Made that drive 2 weeks ago.

Avoid the 101 at all cost. (take the 5).

6 hours sounds about right, going 80 mph w/o breaks. If you're driving up from LA, take 5 N, switch over to the 152 west, heading toward gilroy. At gilroy, switch to the 101 N and exit embarcadero/pagemill. That'll get ya to stanford.

West coast is insane man. I wouldn't drive 6 hours to any medical school...that's why I'm glad the furthest West I applied is Chicago. :)

I stiill love you guys, though.:clap: