Stanford or UCSF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCAT45T

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

UCSF - Stanford was such a weird place. I was really put off by the need of several people, including faculty, to defend the clinical experience at Stanford when I visited. Clinically, I think UCSF would be a better place to go to medical school. Also, SF is a nicer place to live than Palo Alto.

I agree. Just wondering if anyone would vote for Stanford for some odd reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only reason that I can think of is the research. Stanford has some of the best, if not thee best, people in their respective fields. But this, in my mind, is more in the realm of basic sciences than clinical research.

Mitro said:
UCSF - Stanford was such a weird place. I was really put off by the need of several people, including faculty, to defend the clinical experience at Stanford when I visited. Clinically, I think UCSF would be a better place to go to medical school. Also, SF is a nicer place to live than Palo Alto.

Palo Alto has much better weather. I lived very close to there for much of my childhood, and it's a very nice area. UCSF is sort of teetering on a hilltop and there aren't any trees that aren't in a sidewalk planter. Unless you're referring to East Palo Alto (which is a bad place to live), I don't know why you would prefer UCSF's location unless you like being in the middle of a big city.

Mitro said:
The only reason that I can think of is the research. Stanford has some of the best, if not thee best, people in their respective fields. But this, in my mind, is more in the realm of basic sciences than clinical research.

Some people might like Stanford's location better than UCSF's (sub-urban vs. urban). I wouldn't prefer it (having visited Stanford and spent some time in downtown SF), but I can see how someone might. I agree about the research point - Stanford's curriculum and faculty are very pro-research.

I like cities, and I like seeing water.

Mitro said:
I like cities, and I like seeing water.

Hard to see the water through all the fog.

tacrum43 said:
Hard to see the water through all the fog.

Haha, go to the Piers or the beaches (though they are mighty crappy). Nothing beats walking down on Powell towards Aquatic park and smelling the fresh sea and feeling the gentle breeze on a nice spring day. Palo Alto is nice, but SF is a much livelier and full of things to do. Even though I spent over 20 years living there, I'm still enamored by the city and discover new things to do and see regularly.

Mitro said:

There's actually a similar thread about this from last year. I've been working at UCSF for over a year now and research at UCSF is HUGE! It seems like some people don't realize that. UCSF ranks 4th nationally in NIH research funding. And where do you think they developed recombinant DNA and invented microarrays? :)

this is discussed each year so you can search past posts. This is an excellent link to why stanford, provided by creative writer in the current stanf thread: http://medicologic.com/stanford/convince.htm Check it out, it is an awesome posting!

obviously both are great schools and have their strong points. From what i know, ive only looked heavily into stanford tho, is that the stanford curriculum is amazing. You will have an immensely diverse student body to interact with since everyone is doing a scholarly conc. and the projects are all over the place. Thus if you have interests in fields that peripherally relate to medicine stanford is the place to cultivate that since you cant do that at UCSF as the resources are not readily available (their prob are collaborations that i dont know about). So the one thing that stands out as a big difference to me is curriculum so if you are choosing b.t the two schools id suggest figuring out what is best for you along those lines. Good luck!

edit: oh and also, the financial aide at stanford is fricking amazing! in other words, it generally shouldnt be a $ issue in the end. This is really too bad for UC's b.c they will lose alot of people to privates. I see this affecting UCSD particularly

That's an enviable decision to make.

By the grace of God I've been accepted to UCSF, but I have not heard a peep from Stanford. Complete 6 months, no interview or rejection to date.

I pretty set on going to UCSF and I must say that it is simply an awesome place. Teetering on top of a hill? Yup. But in one the world's best cities.

Also, UCSF has one of the biggest university-related building projects going on at Mission Bay. Check this link out:

http://www.harvardmagazine.com/on-line/030586.html

In short, I think UCSF has A LOT that makes it unique and distinct from practically every other medical school. Stanford is a great place as well and, like UCSF, has unique characteristics.

Haybrant said:
this is discussed each year so you can search past posts. This is an excellent link to why stanford, provided by creative writer in the current stanf thread: http://medicologic.com/stanford/convince.htm Check it out, it is an awesome posting!

obviously both are great schools and have their strong points. From what i know, ive only looked heavily into stanford tho, is that the stanford curriculum is amazing. You will have an immensely diverse student body to interact with since everyone is doing a scholarly conc. and the projects are all over the place. Thus if you have interests in fields that peripherally relate to medicine stanford is the place to cultivate that since you cant do that at UCSF as the resources are not readily available (their prob are collaborations that i dont know about). So the one thing that stands out as a big difference to me is curriculum so if you are choosing b.t the two schools id suggest figuring out what is best for you along those lines. Good luck!

I've heard that one drawback of Stanford's curriculum is too much class/lecture time.

UCSF has like 2 hours max. of lecture each day. Not bad, BUT much learning is done independently and in the small group settings.

It's an issue of personal learning styles. Some people prefer lectures. Other don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tra La La said:
I've heard that one drawback of Stanford's curriculum is too much class/lecture time.

UCSF has like 2 hours max. of lecture each day. Not bad, BUT much learning is done independently and in the small group settings.

It's an issue of personal learning styles. Some people prefer lectures. Other don't.

yah, ive heard this as a complaint; the cool thing is that all lectures are online; and on top of that you can watch them in 2x speed! seems like less than 50% of students go to lectures at stanf. oh, and Wednesday's are completely off :thumbup:

Haybrant said:
yah, ive heard this as well; the cool thing is that all lectures are online; and on top of that you can watch them in 2x speed! seems like less than 50% of students go to lectures at stanf.

I know that Harvard also does this...

Seems to make the kids lazy and truant. :laugh:

Tra La La said:
I know that Harvard also does this...

Seems to make the kids lazy and truant. :laugh:

haha perhaps; but everywhere you go you'll find this; i have a bunch of friends at ucsf that hardly go to lecture; youve prob seen this elsewhere on the interviewing trail; besides 2 hr of lecture a day is not what you think it is/they make it out to be

another thing that is nice is that stanf is 4 years pass/fail; this could be good or bad depending on the person; but it makes learning take a diff focus. friend at ucsf tells me people start gunning hardcore in the 3rd and 4th year for this reason

Haybrant said:
haha perhaps; but everywhere you go you'll find this; i have a bunch of friends at ucsf that hardly go to lecture; youve prob seen this elsewhere on the interviewing trail; besides 2 hr of lecture a day is not what you think it is/they make it out to be

another thing that is nice is that stanf is 4 years pass/fail; this could be good or bad depending on the person; but it makes learning take a diff focus. friend at ucsf tells me people start gunning hardcore in the 3rd and 4th year for this reason

I totally agree with you. I read the information from the link you provided and I must say--damn! It sounds really good.

I spent one summer at Stanford and simply loved it. It's such an amazingly beautiful campus, vibrant community, and the weather's great, too. I wish they would either reject me or interview me at this point, because waiting is so tough!

At UCSF, you don't get that comfortable feeling that you are on a college campus. But, on the other hand, UCSF is a focused and faced-paced environment. Plus, Cal is just across the Bay.

I envy the lucky few who will be deciding between UCSF and Stanford...

NorCalGirl said:
. And where do you think they developed recombinant DNA and invented microarrays? :)

People at Stanford did both of those.

I would pick Stanford because of the whole public vs. private bit. I think the support and care that you are given at a private institution tends to be better largely because the institution relies on you for donations to support itself. I think they take a lot of steps to make sure that you look back and view your experience as a positive one.

But they waitlisted me, so it's kind of a moot point =[

Tra La La said:

but Stanford meds get wednesday off

Few would turn down UCSF... but I think stanford is only marginally worse off clinically and it has an unique spin that may be appealing to some. I think Stanford suits someone who likes flexibility (100% P/F; wed. off; 15.5 months of clinical rotations), research opportunities (there are so many hot-shots there!!!), and an innovative environment (2 med students started a med device company; all facilities and schools on one campus). If you don't like restraints and want freedom to stand out in your own way, seriously think about stanford.

Really, we're being way too picky. At this level, there isn't a best, only different fits.

MCAT45T said:
What you guys think?

conglats!!

I am very envious and jealous but I am sure you deserve it. I've never been to either schools but I assume Stanford because it is a big university and you are more likely to meet a wide variety of people.

another thing to consider is that stanford med is on a big undergrad (& grad too) campus, while ucsf only has grad/professional schools. not that one of the other is better, just that it's another lifestyle/environment difference.

I've been living in SF for 5 years and have volunteered at UCSF. Both they and Stanford rejected me pre-interview, however, so it looks like I am headed back to the frigid northeast. Congratulations to you, though.

As they say in the real estate business, this one is about Location, Location, Location. I personally happen to hate Palo Alto (Northern California suburban hell) and I think the Stanford campus feels too much like a country club. I also happen to love cities in general and SF, in particular. I like going to ball games and to see live music and to museums, etc. Think about whether or not that stuff is important to you.

You're going to get a great education with amazing research opportunities in either place, so the environment is the primary factor I would use to make that enviable decision.

Tra La La said:
I totally agree with you. I read the information from the link you provided and I must say--damn! It sounds really good.

I spent one summer at Stanford and simply loved it. It's such an amazingly beautiful campus, vibrant community, and the weather's great, too. I wish they would either reject me or interview me at this point, because waiting is so tough!

At UCSF, you don't get that comfortable feeling that you are on a college campus. But, on the other hand, UCSF is a focused and faced-paced environment. Plus, Cal is just across the Bay.

I envy the lucky few who will be deciding between UCSF and Stanford...

Congrats on UCSF tr la la! Their admissions policies seem to vary enough that few are able to decide b.t the two; i was admitted to stanford but not to UCSF so go figure. But I feel bad for the UC system with their tuition increases. If i were given the choice I would have a very hard time but in the end i think I could possibly see myself choosing stanf b.c the financial aide is excellent and the new curriculum happens to suit me and I like the resources outside of medicine they have.
Overall you cant go wrong either way; ive been researching at UCSF and yes, the research is beyond amazing there.

Without Wax said:
conglats!!

I am very envious and jealous but I am sure you deserve it. I've never been to either schools but I assume Stanford because it is a big university and you are more likely to meet a wide variety of people.

Thanks very much. I know both are great schools... I'm just a bit confused right now, but mind you, very grateful.

I'm leaning toward SF right now, because, like previously mentioned, I like SF better than Palo Alto. I also like the vibe, fast, and focused atmosphere at at UCSF. Did I mention that the ladies over at the Pharmacy/Nursing School are pretty H.O.T.? That always helps. :D

Personally, I'm going to have to go with Stanford on this one. I think UCSF is an amazing school with an equally outstanding faculty and study body. However, San Francisco is really not for me and after having spent the past 3.5 years in a bustling, urban area (Berkeley, CA), I really could appreciate the quiet, posh suburbs in the South Bay. In my opinion, Palo Alto is a beautiful community (excluding the eastern portion) and I think Stanford has one of the nicest campuses in the country. Stanford really fosters a sense of community on the campus because the professional schools are on the same campus as the undergraduate schools. In addition, I actually enjoy the heavy research emphasis of Stanford's program. Obvsiously, UCSF is also heavily geared to research and no one will doubt that UCSF is one of the best medical research centers in the world. However, just based on location and quality-of-life factors, I'd choose Stanford.

You really can't go wrong with either school here. Both schools are at the top of the medical school hierarchy and you'll get an amazing education at either program.

MCAT45T said:
Thanks very much. I know both are great schools... I'm just a bit confused right now, but mind you, very grateful.

I'm leaning toward SF right now, because, like previously mentioned, I like SF better than Palo Alto. I also like the vibe, fast, and focused atmosphere at at UCSF. Did I mention that the ladies over at the Pharmacy/Nursing School are pretty H.O.T.? That always helps. :D

make sure to read this link before making a final decision; the info really has me stoked to be attending stanford: http://medicologic.com/stanford/convince.htm