1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Stanford Revisit

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by loomis, May 3, 2004.

1. loomis

loomis Lifetime Student
    10+ Year Member

Hi everyone,
    just curious to those who were there...how was it? i wasn't able to make it but i'll see you all there this august!!!
    Loomis

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. periodic

periodic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Any input? help out us folks who couldn't make it and are still deciding...what'd you think of the people (students and faculty), atmosphere, perceptions of clinical training, etc...

thanks!

4. Harps

Harps Jatt Denominator
    7+ Year Member

AMAZING weekend. I'll write more when I have time, but just give you a taste. They took us out to P.F. Changs and then we had a mixer at night on Friday. After a continental breakfast, the presentation went on until lunch. After fin. aid workshop, we were all driven by buses to a beautiful house in los altos...we had LIVE enteratinment...Luau.......sitting around the pool, eating coconuts, pineapples...Hawaiian dancers...the weather...we were all floored. Then we were bused back to the school for 2 hr. talent show which was funnier than the comedy night I went out to afterwards. People I met were amazing. Lots and lots of personal attention. Awesome classmates...everyone was very very chilled. Faculty members came and talked to us about mentoring....basically no OTHER school makes its students more happy and comfortable than SMS. In fact, if you just check out the subsidized housing....you'll be floored. If you get to live in Stanford West...you not only get garage parking, but a townhouse for $750...only 10 minutes away from the school.
    BTW, all of us got a cool shirt, bag, and Stanford Med. pencils :D

Oh yeah, a panel of 3rd years on clinics put to rest all the "inane" fears about clinical training. Do not be fooled!!! This atmosphere, weather, small class, and location/cushiness along with fin. aid cannot be beaten, imho. You cannot get this kind of personal attention at public school!

-Harps

btw...all you SMS c/o 2008 lurkers on SDN need to post! :)

-Harps

5. sinnah83

sinnah83 Member
    7+ Year Member

I second what Harps said. The weekend was awesome. The people (current first years I met and classmates to be) were great. The fears that I had about Stanford's clinical experience were all dispelled. The place had such a warm fuzzy feel that I would be very hard for anyone to turn it down - after being at the admit weekend.
    Just to fill in the blanks for the OP:
    The presentations were on curriculum and what the administration is aiming for with the new curriculum. They are proud of their research repute but they are also VERY interested in training good clinicians. Of course, they bragged about the flexibility of the curriculum which truly is a cool thing. I was under the impression that one had to do research witht the new scholarly concentrations. However, i met at least one person who was not doing any research - she was just doing a scholarly project. Also there is great diversity and flexibility (yes again!)in the concentrations. I met a ton of people who were interested in international health policy and were creating their own concentration taking bits and pieces from the community health concentration.

The mentoring presentation was ok...but they will have more of that at orientation.

The financial aid presentation was next. they gave people the award letters. most people were happy with the aid that they got. In case you aren't, they encourage you to go talk to the fin aid office, to sort things out in a mutually acceptable way. This was affirmed by many of the students.

The clinical panel was awesome. I feel like the students were being honest about the problems and also about the good stuff. I think Stanford clinical issues get exaggerated. Its a mixed bag, anyone can have a bad rotation. But it is surely not the norm. And the new curriculum is supposed to prepare people better for the clinical years. Also people had concerns about the lack of diversity. That is not an issue either because students rotate through 5 area hospitals and have chances to do away rotations. Valley Med is one of the affiliated hospitals and that is very diverse.

The housing tours are cool too. Stanford West is probbaly the most coveted residency now. The others weren't bad...kinda dorm style with tiny kitchens.

The luau was at someone's (i think dean of student affairs) house. it was just fun and laid back. Just a really nice gesture.

The talent show was lot of fun. I thought the politcal satire was hilarious. And they have some pretty talented people among the first years.

Basically my reasons for going to stanford now in order of importance are: location (close to family), people who i'll be going to school with, curriculum (less PBL, lectures available on video), financial aid, stanford evironment (friendly and fosters your personal interests besides plain old medicine>

I gotta get some work done now. i am sure I left out stuff and someone esle will add more. But I am semi lurker making my contribution.

6. loomis

loomis Lifetime Student
    10+ Year Member

thanks for the input guys. it sounds like the revisit weekend was amazing!!! can't wait to meet you all. btw, are you all planning on going on teh SWEAT orientation?
    l

7. Harps

Harps Jatt Denominator
    7+ Year Member

Sinnah....are you, who I think you are (SJSU)?? ;)

-Harps

8. Harps

Harps Jatt Denominator
    7+ Year Member

Yeah!!! I am definitely going......loads of fun. From what I've heard from 1st year students....it was a great bonding experience...

-Harps

9. TheFlash

TheFlash Playtime Is Over
    10+ Year Member

Dude, congrats on the decision, bro. You're officially a Stanfordian! :clap:

10. Harps

Harps Jatt Denominator
    7+ Year Member

Thanks, bro. What about you? Have you decided? BTW, there is someone from UVA coming to Stanford...I'll pm you his name...wondering if you know him.

-Harps

11. TheFlash

TheFlash Playtime Is Over
    10+ Year Member

Yeah you can pm me, I wouldn't be surprised if I knew him. I haven't decided yet myself, and time is ticking! :scared: Ok, that's the end of my thread hijacking... back to Stanford. :)

12. Pikayou

Pikayou Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey SMS revisit people...PM me your name/description/ugrad school so I can figure out if we met last weekend or not. I was the guy from Cal who was wearing a blue & gold rugby shirt all Saturday.

13. Harps

Harps Jatt Denominator
    7+ Year Member

We know who you are Pikayou....who can forget someone with soooooooooooo much hatred for Stanford...ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...j/k man. It was finally nice meeting you!! :)

-Harps

14. Harps

Harps Jatt Denominator
    7+ Year Member

And I was the guy wearing the shirt "When someone gets hurt, it's not funny.........It's hilairous"...What a dumb shirt to wear to a revisit weekend...but hey got a few ppl to talk to me..."dude, that's a crazy shirt"... :laugh: :laugh:

-Harps

15. Pikayou

Pikayou Member
    7+ Year Member

Nice meeting you last weekend too, Harps. Glad to see you're going to SMS.