Stanford / Santa Clara EM - job prospects and contracts shakeup?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HomerSimpson12345

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've read some great things about Stanford EM residency. I've read many of the threads here on SDN.

I have two questions:
  1. I've heard that Stanford / Santa Clara has been going through a shakeup where the EM doctors did not get their contracts renewed. Does anyone have more information on this? What does this mean for the residency program?
  2. How much does doing your residency at Stanford limit your future job prospects compared to doing a residency at UCSF or Highland? Especially because of the patient population.
I greatly appreciate your time!
Homer

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
2. How much does doing your residency at Stanford limit your future job prospects compared to doing a residency at UCSF or Highland?

None.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

I've read some great things about Stanford EM residency. I've read many of the threads here on SDN.

I have two questions:
  1. I've heard that Stanford / Santa Clara has been going through a shakeup where the EM doctors did not get their contracts renewed. Does anyone have more information on this? What does this mean for the residency program?
  2. How much does doing your residency at Stanford limit your future job prospects compared to doing a residency at UCSF or Highland? Especially because of the patient population.
Homer

Sorry man, if you don't get into Stanford/Kaiser or UCSF or Highland your career is over and you might as well start looking to go to PA school

Or maybe change your career to programming and then maybe you would have a better chance of staying in the bay area?

Members don't see this ad :)
What you mean by them going thru a shake up

Hi,

I have two questions:
Homer

1. The group changed from one contract management company (CEP) to another (VEP). This happens regularly in private practice. I think this means that resident education at Santa Clara will suffer for six months to a year until VEP gets settled, and then will go back to normal.
2. It doesn't limit your opportunities. In fact it may even help them. The Stanford name goes a very long way.