Stanford Scholarly Concentration Essay..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nooblet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really stuck. should i be writing as if i know which concentration i want to do? if i dont, it seems like im just writing generalized statements. how did you guys approach this question?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, my research is in neuroscience, so i picked Molecular basis of medicine and neuroscience, behavior and cognition, and talked about how I was interested in it because thats what I did my research in and I'd like to continue doing it in med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you've done research, I would talk about how the Scholarly Concentration stuff will maybe help you look into more of the similar research in medical school..pretty much what drizz said..

i'm leaning towards not applying there anymore since I won't have a publication until next Feb/March. Stanford seems like a pretty research-oriented school, and probably wants to see proof of it through publications before you apply...please correct me if i'm wrong about this..

I also think you're thinking way too hard about this. You don't have to commit to a SC now. They just want to see how the program fits you. It's a total pritzker "fit" essay. Why Stanford? The SC is something they are known for as far as their program goes.

Hello,
i still havent received my secondary from stanford..should i be worried?

Hello,
i still havent received my secondary from stanford..should i be worried?

With 3 threads and this post, you really need to calm down. They don't even screen.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm planning to briefly mention which SC(s) I'm preliminarily interested in, but I plan to focus on WHY I think that the existence of SCs is good for my learning style and overall education.

i am 99% sure that no one at stanford admissions reads the essays. it just gives people like me something to do, so that we can justify the expense of a secondary. stanford simply admits the absolute cream of the crop, and if you're among them, you know it, and don't worry about things like "essays."

i am 99% sure that no one at stanford admissions reads the essays. it just gives people like me something to do, so that we can justify the expense of a secondary. stanford simply admits the absolute cream of the crop, and if you're among them, you know it, and don't worry about things like "essays."

Stanford is very very focused on basic science research. My brother was a Stanford alum and didn't have any basic science and didn't even receive an interview from Stanford. For reference, he got 12 acceptances including JHU, Wash U, HMS, Cornell, U Mich, etc... If you don't have basic science research you will be at a severe disadvantage when applying there. Pubs definitely help, and the publication essay may be the most important of the four even though it only requests that you list your pubs.

try checking your spam folder. I called up the admissions office, and they said they had already sent my supplemental. They recommended checking my spam, and what do you know, there it is.

According to its website (and MSAR), Stanford sends supplementals to all AMCAS applicants who apply.

Stanford is very very focused on basic science research. My brother was a Stanford alum and didn't have any basic science and didn't even receive an interview from Stanford. For reference, he got 12 acceptances including JHU, Wash U, HMS, Cornell, U Mich, etc... If you don't have basic science research you will be at a severe disadvantage when applying there. Pubs definitely help, and the publication essay may be the most important of the four even though it only requests that you list your pubs.

i've heard this too, but then i don't understand why they ask the "where do you see yourself" question. is it a way to weed out applicants who don't choose the "academic medicine" option?

im sure stanford has enough cream of the crop applicants that even those applicants need to distinguish themselves from each other with good secondary responses.

ack! :eek:

Can someone help me interpret what the following question is asking?

Are there any disputes current or pending concerning your academic status? (If yes, please explain)

Can someone help me interpret what the following question is asking?

Are there any disputes current or pending concerning your academic status? (If yes, please explain)

If you have any problems with your academic status that might affect your matriculation (with a bachelor's) or if you have any record of changing grades since AMCAS, let them know now.