stanford secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zdralej

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody finds standford secondary challenging? Just to confirm, does academic medicine include clinical work as well as research and teaching....

thanks!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I find it challenging as well.

::cringes at "Standford"::

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, Stanford likes being challenging :)
And I think Academic Medicine is JUST research and teaching (no clinical/patient care).

Yup, Stanford likes being challenging :)
And I think Academic Medicine is JUST research and teaching (no clinical/patient care).

Can someone confirm this? Wouldn't that make one an MD/PhD?

from my understanding, rather from what my PI said, academic medicine does include clinical care. He is a Professor in Residence, so he runs a lab, trains residents and on one day a week, he does rounds and still sees patients. people that just train residents still do clinical care also, they all just do it less than someone in private practice.

I agree with bacalaca... docs in academic medicine still see patients, just not nearly as much as those in private practice since they also do research and teach (at least this is from what I've read, and from what I've seen the docs do where I work).

Academic medicine includes clinical work (seeing patients). It just means you're faculty at a university and spend time either teaching medical students/residents and/or doing research in addition to seeing patients.

ya i looked at that secondary and am pretty sure i'm not applying there anymore....no publications for me yet, even though i should have one by next feb./mar....i feel stanford wants ppl that are really into research- which to me means at least presenting at a few conferences and maybe having a few publications by the time they apply...when i saw that publications section in the secondary, i figured i'd waste my money by applying there

ya i looked at that secondary and am pretty sure i'm not applying there anymore....no publications for me yet, even though i should have one by next feb./mar....i feel stanford wants ppl that are really into research- which to me means at least presenting at a few conferences and maybe having a few publications by the time they apply...when i saw that publications section in the secondary, i figured i'd waste my money by applying there

No school requires publications no matter how research-heavy they are. If you are nearing publication then you are ahead of the game. A lot (not all) of the publications that undergrads get are cheap ones that have a lot of authors. If you have a strong research background/interest and a strong PI, you shouldn't give up just because you are not published...

No school requires publications no matter how research-heavy they are. If you are nearing publication then you are ahead of the game. A lot (not all) of the publications that undergrads get are cheap ones that have a lot of authors. If you have a strong research background/interest and a strong PI, you shouldn't give up just because you are not published...

what if you don't have a strong research background? is stanford out of the question if you only have minimal research and are more interested in other areas, such as public health or health care administration?

what if you don't have a strong research background? is stanford out of the question if you only have minimal research and are more interested in other areas, such as public health or health care administration?
Where did you see that section about publications?? i didn't .....

thanks!

Where did you see that section about publications?? i didn't .....

thanks!

Um, it's on page 7 question 8. And I don't think leaving it blank precludes you from admission. Don't be scared of applying anywhere because of something you've read on SDN...

Members don't see this ad :)
As I said in the other Stanford post, they are extremely basic science research focused. My brother was a Stanford undergrad and didn't even receive an interview there (3.8/35) and had acceptances from HMS, UM, JHU, Wash U, Cornell, and others. He had good ECs, but his research was clinical and not basic science.

As I said in the other Stanford post, they are extremely basic science research focused. My brother was a Stanford undergrad and didn't even receive an interview there (3.8/35) and had acceptances from HMS, UM, JHU, Wash U, Cornell, and others. He had good ECs, but his research was clinical and not basic science.
That's just one case. I can hardly imagine a school such as Stanford (the largest of whose secondary essays dealt with diversity) only being interested in students heavily interested in basic-science research. Have you seen what some of their scholarly concentrations are? Once, for instance, focuses on the "medical humanities," investigating things like the literary, spiritual, and philosophical notions of health and disease.

That's just one case. I can hardly imagine a school such as Stanford (the largest of whose secondary essays dealt with diversity) only being interested in students heavily interested in basic-science research. Have you seen what some of their scholarly concentrations are? Once, for instance, focuses on the "medical humanities," investigating things like the literary, spiritual, and philosophical notions of health and disease.

Stanford is notoriously interested in research, but apply if you want to.

Stanford also likes people who are well-rounded (i.e. involved in the arts or sports in addition to bio stuff). This info is from my lab PI, who has been an interviewer for Stanford for several years.

Every time I talk to him, he keeps asking if I do anything artistic or athletic :( Makes me feel inferior. I'm like... "I like to play basketball and swim for fun, and I also knit and play the piano for relaxation purposes... does that count?" :(

Stanford also likes people who are well-rounded (i.e. involved in the arts or sports in addition to bio stuff). This info is from my lab PI, who has been an interviewer for Stanford for several years.

Every time I talk to him, he keeps asking if I do anything artistic or athletic :( Makes me feel inferior. I'm like... "I like to play basketball and swim for fun, and I also knit and play the piano for relaxation purposes... does that count?" :(

Yeah, that might be true. They are definitely interested in athletics afaik. As far as artistic endeavors go, I'm not so sure they are THAT interested in that as far as their med students go. The running joke at GSB though was that you were more likely to get in as a D1 athlete than as a CEO hehe

I never got their secondary :\.

I heard there are a lot of essays though, so I'm not really interested anyways. If it's as research oriented as people say, I'm probably a bad fit there.

I never got their secondary :\.

I heard there are a lot of essays though, so I'm not really interested anyways. If it's as research oriented as people say, I'm probably a bad fit there.
Odd - if you didn't know, Stanford does not screen, so you should receive a secondary... If it's been a while and you are still interested, give them a call.

I'm not that research oriented either, but I'm applying for the hell of it =/ I want to stay in California, but it's not as if Stanford is a safety... =p

Bah! Stanford just sent me an email, basically bugging me to turn in my secondary! It's been a tiny bit over 2 weeks, and I was going to submit today... I'm a tad annoyed that they sent this:
According to our records, you have been invited to submit a supplemental application. However, it has not yet been completed and submitted. If you intend to submit the application to the Stanford University School of Medicine, we encourage you to do so as soon as possible. The final deadline is November 15, 2007.

If you intend to withdraw your application, please notify our office in writing.

You may check the status of your application (letters of recommendations expected, received, and fee payment) at our website: https://med.stanford.edu/aes/

Please keep in mind that the receipt status of letters of recommendation may take a few days to be updated on the status website from when we actually receive them in our office.

Thank you for your interest in Stanford University School of Medicine.

It is NOT necessary for you to respond to this email message.

Sincerely,
Office of Medical School Admissions Staff

Bah! Stanford just sent me an email, basically bugging me to turn in my secondary! It's been a tiny bit over 2 weeks, and I was going to submit today... I'm a tad annoyed that they sent this:

I got that too! It's making me want to reconsider going through with that secondary..

The only thing I was concerned about is that they are so selective...I figure they'd just choose the ppl that were already ahead of the game and had some pubs...but, maybe not..does anyone know the # of people that get secondaries and the # that get interviews?

The only thing I was concerned about is that they are so selective...I figure they'd just choose the ppl that were already ahead of the game and had some pubs...but, maybe not..does anyone know the # of people that get secondaries and the # that get interviews?
Everyone gets a secondary (not screened). They interviewed 485 last year.

Everyone gets a secondary (not screened). They interviewed 485 last year.

hopefully waiting for a little over two wks isnt a slap in the face to them..it's getting kind of late also...hmm...maybe its worth a shot..

i also got that email. i guess i pissed them off already! oops!

I am a white, upper middle class female with no real culture, race, ethnicity, or socioeconomic issues in my background. How do I answer the diversity question? I was thinking something along the lines of: my parents got divorced when I was young, so I started working early because I wanted to gain independence from their financial spats- this taught me work ethic. It sort of taps into early life and work experiences, but I'm not really sure if that answers the question. Advice?

I am a white, upper middle class female with no real culture, race, ethnicity, or socioeconomic issues in my background. How do I answer the diversity question? I was thinking something along the lines of: my parents got divorced when I was young, so I started working early because I wanted to gain independence from their financial spats- this taught me work ethic. It sort of taps into early life and work experiences, but I'm not really sure if that answers the question. Advice?
Do you have any experience working in a multicultural area, or maybe with an underserved community...if so you want to put it there.

i dont think diversity necessarily equates to race/culture...they're looking for anything unique about you, which can include work experiences, education(maybe you did a unique major, or a double major in two areas that really interest you) ..or maybe you had some travel experiences that are worth mentioning..

...stanford's mstp application has like ten more essays =(

*cringe*

that's what i get for wanting to do academic medicine, i guess...