Stanford Shift Length/Number

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2008 EM Reviews

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone get a good idea what the shift length/number was for Stanford at their 3 sites? I got the impression it was 12s at University and Kaiser, but it wasn't clear to me how many they worked each month.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone get a good idea what the shift length/number was for Stanford at their 3 sites? I got the impression it was 12s at University and Kaiser, but it wasn't clear to me how many they worked each month.

Man, I keep reading this as "standard shift length/number"

wondering the exact same question. anyone know how many 12hr shifts/month are done at stanford?

Members don't see this ad :)
i remember on interview day they noted that it used to be 12 hour shifts then a group of residents voted to change it and did, then those residents left and everyone else has been happy with the 12-hour shift system.

as for specific numbers of shifts i asked a resident at Stanford and this was answer i got:

for hours per week the rough guidelines averaged out over 4 week blocks:
R1 56-60 (usually five 12 hour shifts, two days off per week)
R2 54-56
R3 48-56

Stanford is a all 12's
Kaiser is 12's during the day and for overnights it's 10's for R2,R3's, 11's for R1's
Valley is all 10's,
SFGH is all 12's. (this is obviously changing since SFGH will no longer be a major component of the curriculum at Stanford)

It's a lot of hours, but people have voted to work more 12's in exchange for more days off (average of 20 shifts or less in 28 day period)

Going by EMRAMatch.org, the number of shift a month that senior residents work is 16. They also claim immediate signout and no staying after shifts end.

Does anyone know what is going to happen with the Stanford residency and SFGH now that there is a UCSF program? It sounds like the commute is pretty tough but will this improve with fewer SFGH shifts? Although at the cost of losing the high-volume county experience...

The first job I had as a chiropractor in 1989, in Phoenix Arizona at Reach Chiropractic was 8 to 8 Monday through Saturday. Hardly paid at all. I was just glad to be working. use to go out every night and party until 2 AM. I really don't understand anyone in their twenties or thirties who complain that 12 hours is a long day.

Now I am 46, and want to go beddy-bye at 10 to midnight every night.