stanford stolen data

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batm0nque

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone else receive a letter about this??

http://www.stanford.edu/privacy/

my only affiliation with stanford is my medapp/interview there...so i wonder if other applicants were contacted too??

Members don't see this ad.

anyone else receive a letter about this??

http://www.stanford.edu/privacy/

my only affiliation with stanford is my medapp/interview there...so i wonder if other applicants were contacted too??

Interesting.

Do you remember if you had to put your SSN on the app? It might be worth putting a fraud alert on new lines of credit if your social has be compromised.

Interesting.

Do you remember if you had to put your SSN on the app? It might be worth putting a fraud alert on new lines of credit if your social has be compromised.

what does that mean?? fraud alert on new lines of credit...

yea IF the info from my app is what was compromised they would know everything about me...thats why im wondering if all stanford med applicants were contacted???

Members don't see this ad :)
actually i read it closer and it affects current and previous 'employees' so maybe they got my info from when i volunteered there in hs?? so bizarre =P

what does that mean?? fraud alert on new lines of credit...

yea IF the info from my app is what was compromised they would know everything about me...thats why im wondering if all stanford med applicants were contacted???

someone with your SSN could attempt to sign up for a credit card or something else using your information. If there's a fraud alert on your SSN, it will become much more difficult for them to do so. Someone using your identity can destroy your credit (and it can take a long time to correct it, even if it was malicious), which can affect your ability to get loans (including GradPlus)

anyway, what I mean is, follow the instructions here:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/infocompalrt.shtm

You can have one of the 3 major credit tracking companies place a 90-day alert on your file (this will be shared with the other two). This will mean that any new line of credit (loan, credit card, etc.) must be verified by you before it can be opened.

My mom had her laptop "hacked" a few months ago and I did the same thing since she had a good bit of my financial info on there. It's pretty easy.

i got a letter, because I worked there over the summer

whew, good thing i didnt apply ;)

Realize you were only joking, but just as an FYI for people who might have applied, it does appear from the wording on the site linked by the OP that the data loss was limited to "personnel records of current and former Stanford employees hired before September 28, 2007."

Realize you were only joking, but just as an FYI for people who might have applied, it does appear from the wording on the site linked by the OP that the data loss was limited to "personnel records of current and former Stanford employees hired before September 28, 2007."
This includes me :( They sent me some paperwork that I am going to fill out to prevent identity theft...

similar thing happened at my undergrad a few years back. The registrar's office basically got hacked and a ton of personal information was stolen. I had to put out some fraud alerts and such, but nothing terrible really happened to me or anyone else I know.

Hey guys,

I work at Stanford right now so maybe I can shed some light on the topic since people have been talking about it around the clinic.
Yes, they stole the laptop with the employee info, but as far as I understand the thief just wanted the laptop- not the identity information- so it's unlikely they'll even know what to do with all that info.
I don't think it applies to med students, I believe it was an HR laptop so unless you wee employed at Stanford it shouldn't be much of a problem. I believe they sent that email to most people who were affiliated with the school just to cover their bases (for example, I got the email but I was hired after that date). So, if you just applied there, I wouldn't worry about it at all.
As for the rest of you guys, who worked for Stanford during that time, you could do that identity theft protection thing or trust that the administration is taking care of problems. I believe they're being pretty careful about their employee information now and are taking special measures to protect people's identity.
Hope that helps!

I got the letter and paperwork, and I dismissed it [perhaps too casually]. I sort of have blind faith in Stanford that nothing bad will happen...but, perhaps I should read ... and fill out ... the papers.