Stanford/UCSF interview questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bioguy123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what type of questions to expect for Stanford and UCSF? I have both interviews in early November and want to be prepared. I have heard that Stanford is more of a "friendly" type of interview while UCSF asks a lot of ethical-type questions. Does anyone know if this is true or not? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I don't have any specific knowledge on the subject. But I was wondering how long ago you got in your secondaries to both. I got mine in in early October and am waiting for any kind of decision from the schools. Thanks, and congrats on the interview.

I got my secondary into Stanford back in August, and my secondary to UCSF at the end of September.

Originally posted by bioguy123
Can anyone tell me what type of questions to expect for Stanford and UCSF? I have both interviews in early November and want to be prepared. I have heard that Stanford is more of a "friendly" type of interview while UCSF asks a lot of ethical-type questions. Does anyone know if this is true or not? Thanks.

I had a great time at both schools. One of my Stanford interviews, the one with a faculty member, was more traditional with questions on motivations to enter medicine, etc... The student interview was pretty relaxing. We talked about private flying lessons most of the time.

UCSF was pretty laid back as well. Absolutely no ethical question for me. I ended up talking about Dostoyevsky with one of the interviewers, who was also a fan of the writer.

So don't worry too much. It's more likely than not that you'll have some nice, relaxing interviews. Good luck.