Stanford Undergrad good labs to work in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikolai521

crazed rawlsian liberal
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey did anyone here do Stanford undergrad, and if so could recommend good labs to work in?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

nikolai521 said:
Hey did anyone here do Stanford undergrad, and if so could recommend good labs to work in?

Thanks.
look for Patrick Brown, md phd. my PI did his postdoc with him working on pioneering dna microarrays. i think hes in the med school however, and i dont know how that works.

Shredder said:
look for Patrick Brown, md phd. my PI did his postdoc with him working on pioneering dna microarrays. i think hes in the med school however, and i dont know how that works.

You work for Charles Perou? Pat Brown da' man. I followed Pat Brown's publications for years. He may win a nobel one of these days.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah I work for Vishwanath Iyer at UT Austin. he finished his postdoc there not too long ago like 3, 4 years. i print the arrays and im starting to learn how to use them for experiments, its exciting. nobel yeah sure i dont see why not if arrays really start to catch on.

Shredder said:
Nah I work for Vishwanath Iyer at UT Austin. he finished his postdoc there not too long ago like 3, 4 years. i print the arrays and im starting to learn how to use them for experiments, its exciting. nobel yeah sure i dont see why not if arrays really start to catch on.

Never done it myself but I heard it's tough job for printing array. Hard to make all spot even without making donut shape. have you guys ever use this new pin made from silicon wafer? heard it's more reproducible

You can pretty much choose any lab at Stanford, the quality is there. If you want a big name. Pat Brown, Mark Davis, and Irv Weismann are big names - but their labs are probably pretty post-doc heavy. Good luck, there are tons of great labs there and it's not hard to find a good lab - they're everywhere.

Supernova said:
Never done it myself but I heard it's tough job for printing array. Hard to make all spot even without making donut shape. have you guys ever use this new pin made from silicon wafer? heard it's more reproducible
silicon pins hah funny you mention them; the old undergrad left the cover on the dna plate last year and smashed all 48 pins, $3000 damage or thereabouts. she wasnt canned for it either. theyre still sitting in bits and pieces in a corner of the lab as a memento. at least no matter what i screw up in the lab i know that was worse, provided i dont burn the place down.

yeah silicon is supposed to be pretty good. i had limited experience using them but my lab may get them again in the future. theyre really delicate and stressful to work with; i am convinced handling them requires more dexterity than surgery. the difficulty of printing arrays varies from organism to organism. 1 spot per gene means 6000 spots for yeast, so the spacing and spots can be big without many problems. humans have upwards of 40k spots and cause much more trouble however. i still havent fulfilled my quest for the perfect array; they always have minor blemishes here and there.

FYI: Pat Brown is not one of the most nurturing PIs if that's what you're looking for. He may be on the cusp of a Nobel, though...

A fun lab to work in might be Robert Sapolsky's...