Stanford University c/o 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pikayou

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cell phone rings 10 minutes ago...Hello?...Hi, is this Pikayou?...Yes...I'm Dr. So-and-so and Stanford University would like to offer you an acceptance for next year.

WOOOHOOOOO!!!

Four years as a Golden Bear, but now I'm headed across the Bay to The Farm....Stanford c/o 2008!!!

Members don't see this ad.

congrats pikayou!! no phone call for me today :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Pikayou

Four years as a Golden Bear, but now I'm headed across the Bay to The Farm....Stanford c/o 2008!!!

Congrats but....

SELLOUT!!! hissssssssssssssssss

Congratulations! Is Stanford your #1 choice, pikayou?

Yeah, Stanford is #1. Only a Harvard acceptance would give me any pause. Stanford really sold me on the idea of a flexible medical education....their students seemed to approach their education like kids at a science museum, lots of creative exploring...trying new things, pursuing old things at new levels, etc. Their new Clark Center for interdisciplinary medicine is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G, it really sealed the deal.

Originally posted by exmike
whats your top pick kwanny

Definitely Stanford or UCSF... but no word for interviews yet... damn... :mad:

this may sound stupid but man am i analyzing this thing to death. is not getting a call tonight mean waitlist at best? i think i interviewed before pikayou so that's definitely not a good sign. haha one of the things about reading sdn all the time is that it gets you worried about everything!

blah, stanford shmanford...

does this mean ur rejecting umich?!?

congrats man..

When I got the call I politely said that I have already been accepted to two higher ranked institutions. When I was asked if I made a final decision, though, I honestly answered "no." I guess that I'll send in the deposit, but I highly doubt that I will be attending.

Originally posted by Squat n Squeeze
When I got the call I politely said that I have already been accepted to two higher ranked institutions. When I was asked if I made a final decision, though, I honestly answered "no." I guess that I'll send in the deposit, but I highly doubt that I will be attending.

PUAAHAHAHAHAHAAHA~!!!!! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
congratulations on the stanford acceptance.....

we need more berkeley kids to infiltrate the place and start representing where the best premeds come from baby!!

but its cool....at least you can always go watch Cal kick the farm's ass in football....now that we have a very good team set up for the next few years....

but yeah congrats man.
and remember...always represent the blue and gold...

Originally posted by jlee9531

but its cool....at least you can always go watch Cal kick the farm's ass in football....now that we have a very good team set up for the next few years....

Hmmmm...you win 2 yrs in a row after losing 7 consecutive seasons, and you start believe that you can do it all the time...

I guess that's what ppl who aren't used to winning do. They start making crazy generalizations.

;)

-Ice

conrats pikayou!!! I just got the voice mail from last night and spoke to the doc on the phone 10 minutes ago. I'm SO psyched....i loved that place!! see you on their listserv!!!

Cell phone rings 10 minutes ago...Hello?...Hi, is this Pikayou?...Yes...I'm Dr. So-and-so and Stanford University would like to offer you an acceptance for next year.

WOOOHOOOOO!!!

congrats both of you! Just curious, would you both pick Stanford over UCSF if you get into the latter?

I would pick Stanford over UCSF. Both schools are excellent, but the educational resources at Stanford are much deeper (e.g. med students can enroll in any class the university offers, and/or get a master's degree during your fifth year). I'm an engineer, so the research opportunities in my field are much more extensive at Stanford too. Moreover, with the recent fee increases, UCSF is not that rediculously cheap for in-state residents anymore...with Stanford's Middle Income Assistance Program (where they drop $20K off the yearly bill if you qualify for ANY aid), coupled with the on-campus housing at Stanford, the two schools are very competitive in terms of price.

Hi Pikayou,

Congrats. Long live Golden Bear. Sorry you will not be seeing the Stanfurd team in any bowl games...at least for next decade. However, I still think UCSF is a much better med school than Stanfurd by all means. Thats why miss California joined UCSF. Hehehe......

:laugh: :laugh: :rolleyes:

How long after your Stanford interview did you guys recieve your acceptance?

I interviewed at Stanford on Nov. 17, was accepted Dec. 4.

interviewed 11/14; got the phone call last night

good luck!!

ps i am leaning towards stanford over ucsf, (research/teachiing chances) but given that i haven't heard anything post-interview at ucsf...i think this might a very premature!!! ) :)

Loomis...what are your feelings Harvard vs. Stanford?

hey pikayou, congrats. check your private messages

congrats! stanford is awesome :D although if i were to pick bet. stanford and ucsf, i'd go with ucsf...more clinical opportunities i guess..but you can never go wrong with both schools. congrats again. :D

both students are very happy and i think the quality of life between the two schools are similar (culturally rich areas, etc) although stanford has weather on its side and hms has being in the middle of boston (although a very professional area) on its side.

while harvard gives lots of independence and areas for research, etc, i do think that stanford has a nicer setup witht eh established contacts to teach (TA a class), do reseearch as a medical scholar, etc. So i think i find that very attractive about stanford.

Finally....i have NOT received an interview at hms, so i probably haven't been given this possible dilemmna that much thought yet :) I'll let you know if i'm lucky enough to make this decision.

What i've been thinking more about has been stanford or yale....both programs seem very similar and both students really were happy!

best of luck to you!

Loomis...what are your feelings Harvard vs. Stanford?

congratulations guys!! stanford is awesome :) wish they would give me the time of day.