Stanford vs. full ride GWU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blurry

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I promised myself I'd never start one of these threads, yet here I am contemplating the decision of my future. I have compelling reasons for both:

GWU: no tuition, I will be away from home for the first time but have family and friends in DC.

Stanford: reputation, amazing research, I want to end up in California in the end.

I think my only real issue is that should I choose GW, would it hinder my chances at a residency in California, regardless of the chosen field? How is the school perceived by the west coast and other competitive programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Lord, take the full ride. Who cares about residency in California, worry about that four years from now.

Your future self will forever thank your present self for reducing your debt.

Full ride is on your side. Go ahead and abide, the cheaper one is true and tried.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I promised myself I'd never start one of these threads, yet here I am contemplating the decision of my future. I have compelling reasons for both:

GWU: no tuition, I will be away from home for the first time but have family and friends in DC.

Stanford: reputation, amazing research, I want to end up in California in the end.

I think my only real issue is that should I choose GW, would it hinder my chances at a residency in California, regardless of the chosen field? How is the school perceived by the west coast and other competitive programs?

Can't even keep your own promise to yourself, eeh? Your current/future wife/husband should be worried.

i would go where ever you think you will be happy for the next 4 years, cause god forbid ...who knows you could die the day after you graduate medical school...then will all the money you saved on that tuition really matter then?

i would go where ever you think you will be happy for the next 4 years, cause god forbid ...who knows you could die the day after you graduate medical school...then will all the money you saved on that tuition really matter then?

I hope you are joking here. The OP asked a serious question...

To the OP: I think you should go with the full ride. I'm sure GWU will provide less competitive environment than Stanford. Just be the top of the class and I don't think you should have any problem getting the residency of your choice in the future.

Dear OP,
Though I am very happy for you to have such tempting offers to choose from, I am also very jealous of you. Since a lot of us are still waiting to hear from some schools (cough Stanford cough), I would appreciate if you would refrain from posting such threads till a little later in the cycle.
Thank you and good luck.

Dear OP,
Though I am very happy for you to have such tempting offers to choose from, I am also very jealous of you. Since a lot of us are still waiting to hear from some schools (cough Stanford cough), I would appreciate if you would refrain from posting such threads till a little later in the cycle.
Thank you and good luck.

so you would reject full ride to GWU if you get an acceptance to Stanford? I bet money is not an issue for you

Are you eligible for any financial aid or assistance at all at Stanford? If it's really a full ride vs. all loans that seems to tip the scales towards GW.

Is this for cereal? You can get into Stanford or get a full ride from GWU but you can't make an independent decision without coming to an anonymous web forum full of MD hopefuls and rubbing it in their faces? Wow, why do you need advice on this. Use your brain, make a decision.

My friend chose Stanford over 3 full merit rides and absolutely never regretted it. Many make that choice every year. Stanford is an amazing place to go to school. A totally non-competitive atmosphere, endless research opportunities, great weather, it just goes on and on. They have one of the lowest graduating debts too. I would guess that you will either qualify for their money or that you can "afford" to pay. If you fall into the small group of taking out loans for the total amount then I would not suggest that. If you will graduate with a small debt I would definitely recommend that. There is a difference in academic atmospheres and I think Stanford wins hands down. Weigh all sides carefully especially if you want to match on the west coast. Good luck!

Stanford, hands-down.

First, even if you don't think you'll get need-based aid at Stanford, you probably will. If your parents make seven figures, you won't, but they really ought to be paying for you.

Second, you have the opportunity to get paid insane amounts of money for doing research or being a TA. If you even think you want to enter a competitive specialty, you really should be doing research anyway.

Third, California.

Fourth, even if you're at the bottom of your class at Stanford, no one will know because of the true +/- grading system. As long as you are able to pass (and you will, barring significant mental illness or personal crises, because you are good enough to get a full ride) you will be able to go anywhere in any field.

Fifth, Stanford's resources for med students are unparallelled. If research is your thing, it seems the obvious choice to me. If business is your thing, also the obvious choice. You could develop contacts in other areas like engineering that would get you far.

I didn't get into Stanford and am still disappointed, 4 years later. I can't say that about any other school. In my opinion, it is the finest in the nation.

I did turn down a full-ride at an excellent school, and I don't regret it. It isn't the end of the world (well, maybe if the alternative is 220K of debt but that isn't the case at Stanford).

I know that people say that school name doesn't matter in the residency process. These people usually have not been in this process. Where I go to school comes up in interviews (in both a positive and negative way, depending on the strength of the program I am visiting). Evaluation forms have sections for rating the school I attend. I do have a "Dean's Scholarship" where I go to school; no one is impressed or cares.

Is this for cereal? You can get into Stanford or get a full ride from GWU but you can't make an independent decision without coming to an anonymous web forum full of MD hopefuls and rubbing it in their faces? Wow, why do you need advice on this. Use your brain, make a decision.

Having been in this situation, I can say that it was the most difficult decision I ever had to make.

If people did not use SDN to get opinions and information, what would it be here for?

If a thread hurts your feelings, try visiting another one.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not a difficult decision. Take the full ride at GWU. I have had friends that went to private med schools and then felt they had to do fellowships such as Cardiology. I went to a state school, and there were multiple members in my class who obtained competitive residencies. Do not take on huge amounts of debt, unless you have to. Who knows what the future of medicine holds in terms of income. That is my opinion, but you have to do what you will be happy with.

It is not a difficult decision. Take the full ride at GWU. I have had friends that went to private med schools and then felt they had to do fellowships such as Cardiology. I went to a state school, and there were multiple members in my class who obtained competitive residencies. Do not take on huge amounts of debt, unless you have to. Who knows what the future of medicine holds in terms of income. That is my opinion, but you have to do what you will be happy with.
They had to do fellowships such as cardiology? I don't feel the OP is the same kind of person like your friend. If the OP can get a full ride at GWU and then get into Stanford, I doubt there is going to be any huge problem with grades and later on residency placement.

They had to do fellowships such as cardiology? I don't feel the OP is the same kind of person like your friend. If the OP can get a full ride at GWU and then get into Stanford, I doubt there is going to be any huge problem with grades and later on residency placement.

I think he meant that they had to go into cardiology because of debt.

listen to your heart. oh, and if that heart you are listening to is not really yours, (i.e. you had a heart transplant), thank stanford for that. the first heart transplant in the u.s. was done at stanford. many more firsts will be at stanford, in the future. i agree with lord-jeebus - it's the finest medical school in the U.S., and therefore, the world.

Tough choice. Personally I would take the money. Stanford is a great school but GW is as well. To me, you would be paying 40 grand a year for negligible differences in the long run.

But if you believe Stanford would give you a better education (wether it be fit, research, whatever) and you can afford it than perhaps that is the better option.

Congrats on your acceptances and good luck shopping for schools!

I know Stanford gets the cream of the crop, but it may be worth a shot to bargain a little bit after you get their fin aid package. They won't take your acceptance away because you tell them you are considering another school with a full ride, but they make buckle and give you more [free] money.

Stanford, hands down, no questions, period. Have the people who say "take the money" interviewed at Stanford? Have they even seen the campus? That place is truly amazing. (Then again, I didn't interview at GWU).

There is no denying that you can handle your business at any medical school (ie medical education is pretty consistent/equal throughout the country). But from my limited understanding and experience, the amount of contacts/network/opportunities at a place like Stanford are priceless. I would gladly go into 220k of debt for that; however, as already mentioned by lordjeebus, you will more than likely get some aid at Stanford as well.

Go where you feel most comfortable at the end of the day. For me though, there is just no contest between GWU full ride and Stanford: Stanford wins everytime.

come on there really isnt a choice here, take the full ride man. to get out of med school with little to no debt at all you CANNOT beat that. If you are interested in research I know GWU has plenty of opportunities and DC is an amazing place too

As for what the OP is saying I cant argue about what he is saying about stanford, but I have interviewed at GWU and I will interview at harvard in feb, but I can tell you now before even going there I would take a full ride at GWU without even thinking about harvard and thats the god honest truth. Plus you can always make connections are any school, you get what u put in, AND you have the option to do rotations at different hospitals i different places so who says you wont be able to go to cali for a couple of rotations. So no matter where you go you will have opportunities for anything period.

If you are worried about matching into a residency in Cali, do an away rotation at your top Cali choices during 4th year.

meet some venture capitalists on sand hill road, become part of of a medical device startup, sell for $1B, and laugh all the way to the bank.

If you don't take the full ride, tell them to send it my way... cause I will gladly accept.

Congrats on your acceptances though! I'm having a similar issue (no full ride to think about though) w/ deciding b/w the experience or the money. Luckily you have quite awhile to decide!

Dear OP,
Thank you and good luck.

hahahahhaha I SO KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN BY THIS COUGH THING.... like when people say something under their breath sort of.

that was such a good way to convey it too!!!
LOL!!!

For heaven's sake, I can't believe these people saying go for GW! Think long-term, please, please, please. GW piddles in comparison with Stanford in reputation, training, and future opportunities. Forever after, your experience at Stanford will propel you into the best residencies, fellowships, and jobs afterwards, no matter where you want to end up. Getting a competitive residency in Cali out of GW will be VERY difficult.

If you are planning on being a Family Practice doc in Iowa, go for cheap. If you want an academic career, California residency, or want a competitive residency, PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE GO TO STANFORD (and I hate using that many caps, so you know I'm serious).

What makes you think that making this thread to gloat was the first thing I did? I have actually been mulling over this decision for some time now and since I have withdrawn from every other school, it is the single biggest choice that I have to make. Fearing reactions like yours has been the reason I have held off on making this thread.

That being said, I loved many aspects of both schools and I am simply looking for an outsider's perspective. I am not so enthusiastic about ending up in academia or doing research in general, but I know it is a necessity for residency applications these days. Both schools have ample research opportunities available, so I don't think it's too much of an issue. In the end, I think I am leaning towards GW more, simply for the financial side of it all. I just don't want to wind up regretting it down the road. Truth be told, I don't know a whole lot about the school and it's reputation among residency program directors.

I am not so enthusiastic about doing research in general, but I know I will have to in order to help with residency applications, regardless of the field.

Very few people have time to research during the school year. Try to hook up with a good program in CA, possibly even Stanford if you would consider residency there, for your MS1-MS2 summer, so you have the research experience on your residency application and meet some contacts from a CA school.

What makes you think that making this thread to gloat was the first thing I did? I have actually been mulling over this decision for some time now and since I have withdrawn from every other school, it is the single biggest choice that I have to make. Fearing reactions like yours has been the reason I have held off on making this thread.

That being said, I loved many aspects of both schools and I am simply looking for an outsider's perspective. I am not so enthusiastic about doing research in general, but I know I will have to in order to help with residency applications, regardless of the field. In the end, I think I am leaning towards GW more, simply for the financial side of it all. I just don't want to wind up regretting it down the road. Truth be told, I don't know a whole lot about the school and it's reputation among residency program directors.

looks to me like the decisions been made: go to GW. all in all, you'll have the opportunities you're looking for (since you're not hardcore research), and saving a few hundred thou is always a good thing.

Doesn't Stanford have like AMAZING financial aid? Doesn't the average student graduate with like $66k in loans? Wait until you get your financial aid packages back to decide or if GWU needs an immediate response, estimate your financials and maybe Stanford can give you an estimate on what you'd receive.

Either way, Congratulations!! What a delightful dilemma to have!

Stanford. They have incredible financial aid resources. Call Stanford's financial aid and discuss it with them.

Congrats!

I have a friend who chose Stanford simply for the networking opportunities. He isn't regretting his decision and he has made amazing connections.

Truly amazing physicians are at Stanford--among them, the best in their respective specialties--and if you want to go into a competitive residency, the research opportunities and mentoring that you'll receive will be unparalleled at Stanford.

The facilities there are amazing as well and the cadaver tables in the anatomy lab are even better than the tables at most schools. The resources that the school has to offer explains why people from throughout California and even the nation fly to California simply to be patients there.

The surrounding area is an important consideration, as well. Housing in Palo Alto can be expensive, but the area is exceptionally nice. An amazing shopping center is a stone's throw away (which, BTW, had the first-ever Victoria's Secret) and there is practically no crime to speak of, except for bike thieves who rule the day and night.

If you want to take additional courses just for the heck of it, Stanford encourages you to do so. You want to take undergrad archery? Go for it. Want to brush up on your art history? You're more than welcome to.

It really is an amazing school that is worth the cost. You obviously wouldn't be debating this choice if you truly needed the full ride scholarship. For the name of the school alone, I wouldn't choose the more expensive school. For the research opportunities you'd receive, the location, the mentoring, and the fact that you won't have to fly as far for your residency interviews in California, I would choose Stanford without hesitation.

As others have mentioned, Stanford is also exceptionally generous with financial aid. Most of their students pay less than students at other schools simply from the money that Stanford will offer them if asked. I'd look into it and then your decision to attend Stanford (I'm calling it) will be even more appealing.

Tough choice. Personally I would take the money. Stanford is a great school but GW is as well. To me, you would be paying 40 grand a year for negligible differences in the long run.

But if you believe Stanford would give you a better education (wether it be fit, research, whatever) and you can afford it than perhaps that is the better option.

Congrats on your acceptances and good luck shopping for schools!

Stanford in a heartbeat, how is this even a choice?

I agree with MsJLewis--what a great dilemma to have. Congratulations.

When I think about your choice, I think about the freedom and benefits you'll have after these schools (your time AT school is very important, of course, but to an extent you'll get a great education at both places, and both are located in interesting, exciting locations).

If you were to go to Stanford, post-med school things would really open up to you in the academic sphere, as people have said. If you're in to academia, then connections and past experiences are pretty important and going to Stanford would be a great way to jump into the heart of it. Plus, as other people have said, it is just an absolutely wonderful, thoughtful place.

On the other hand, leaving GW with no debt would grant you an entirely different kind of freedom. Think about it: paying back your debt would be a moot issue, so suddenly you can pursue exactly the kind of medical career you want to without worrying about making some bucks first and foremost. It's like kids who go into law school to save the world, but then have to unfortunately do corporate mumbo jumbo right after school to pay back their debt. That time immediately after school/residency is super important because it's when you're fresh and can really put your values into play professionally.

Just my two cents.

Gee, I want this problem, too! How did you do it, man?
Mad props to you. :thumbup:

Stanford please.
Are you seriously considering GWU over Stanford? Money merely buys you opportunities. The opportunity to goto Stanford is one that you can never buy back after giving it up.

Ask for aid at Stanford. Tell them that they are your top choice school, but you've been offered free tuition at another school. Tell them that because financial concerns are very real concerns, you are considering GWU's offer. Let them know that you truly do want to attend, but given the option, it may not be feasible. See if they'll give you some free money. If you get a part of your tuition and board paid by stanford (and believe me, they have money) then you might want to take stanford.

Ask for aid at Stanford. Tell them that they are your top choice school, but you've been offered free tuition at another school. Tell them that because financial concerns are very real concerns, you are considering GWU's offer. Let them know that you truly do want to attend, but given the option, it may not be feasible. See if they'll give you some free money. If you get a part of your tuition and board paid by stanford (and believe me, they have money) then you might want to take stanford.

Good Idea.

Thanks for sharing all of your perspectives; I greatly appreciate it. However, I should have mentioned earlier that I am an international student and ineligible for financial aid from Stanford. So far, I have gotten through my undergraduate degree without any debt (by living at home), and I won't be receiving any financial assistance from my mother - it was difficult enough for her to raise three children on her own while working full-time. This makes the money a larger issue for me.

How do you get full rides?? Do they just take the person with the highest mcat and GPA?

blurry, what were the criteria for the scholarship you recieved?

Hi there

first off, the disclaimer: i am a senior stanford med student.

congrats on your "good stress" position! i have (as of friday) just finished my residency interviews....and from what i can say on the trail....i saw many students from so called 2/3rd tier med schools at the top hospitals i was lucky enough to interview at. so i think that assuming you are passionate about what you do, get good boards scores, and good clinic marks, you'll be fine.

-as a stanford student i have had a wonderful time here...i think the financial aid is very competitive (we graduate among the lowest in debt....google this for more info), the grading system is pass/fail all 4 years...which is huge because while we are probably as anal/secretly competitive as most other med students, but because there is no incentive to be crazy, we are all very chill and helpful to each other, we also score well on step 1 (last three years we have score the highest in the country....as per our dean....but maybe every dean says this!!!!), and despite the fact that we are pass/fail, have beautiful climate, and can golf/hike/bike,etc almost every week, we somehow are trained clinically well. i did several aways at other fine hospitals (UCSF and Brigham) and i was actually surprised to see our clinical skills equivalent...if not slightly stronger!
-stanford is by no means perfect and there were many times i was sad/depressed/stressed out....but overall looking back i could not have asked for a better experience. i thought med school was going to be this crazy hell for 4 years...but i have found that i enjoyed med school tremendously both personally and professionally. perhaps this is the same at every other med school, but i have to think a part of it is the experience that stanford crafts for you.

-you can't go wrong either way but if you want to live in cali ultimately....stanford will have many connections and doors opened for you. and if you want to go back east, you will have no problem. in fact, on the interview trail, most interviewers have asked me why i would ever want to leave stanford. it seems stanford rarely loses their med students once they come here....and while i would have laughed at that 4 years ago.....i kinda understand now. it's a pretty cool place to be at.

good luck and hope you join us in the fall!

PS i just saw your last post about being an internation student
-one feature at stanford is the ability to TA classes for both the med school and college. pay is genrous (2000-3000 for many classes). you can also get what we calll a medscholar which pays 12,000 (which can be applied to your tution pre-tax). all of these can be finagled to help reduce your debt.

Full ride, this is an easy decision!

I'd go to Stanford for the record.

STANFORD!!! You only get one chance to go to medical school. Forget the money. You'll make it back 20 times over when it's all said and done. This should really not even be debated. Listen to Lord_jeebus and the med student from Stanford. Don't miss that opportunity. Most of us would give a body part to attend Stanford. BIG CONGRATS, also!!!

STANFORD!!! You only get one chance to go to medical school. Forget the money. You'll make it back 20 times over when it's all said and done. This should really not even be debated. Listen to Lord_jeebus and the med student from Stanford. Don't miss that opportunity. Most of us would give a body part to attend Stanford. BIG CONGRATS, also!!!

I would give my left nut to attend stanford...

I fail to see why any of us should care about this question. Many people will have difficult decisions to make between now and May 15. In the end, OP will make his/her own decision and it will not have mattered what any of us strangers thought. I'm sure there are people in his/her life much closer to him/her who would give more personal and relevant advice than "go with the prestige" or "go with the money."

On this same note, I am going to the supermarket tomorrow and I need peanut butter. Should I buy JIF or Peter Pan?

I fail to see why any of us should care about this question. Many people will have difficult decisions to make between now and May 15. In the end, OP will make his/her own decision and it will not have mattered what any of us strangers thought. I'm sure there are people in his/her life much closer to him/her who would give more personal and relevant advice than "go with the prestige" or "go with the money."

On this same note, I am going to the supermarket tomorrow and I need peanut butter. Should I buy JIF or Peter Pan?

Advice or encouragement can come from all sources. You never know when you'll hear something, or see something that will drive you into a decision. I know that I've gotten an IMMENSE amount of help on this website, and I wouldn't be surprised if well...uhhh...pretty much everyone else here felt the same way.