Stanford vs. UCSD Prepharmacy Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JiayoBaka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently been accepted to both universities. Though I believe that Stanford will provide unimaginable resources and opportunities, I can't help thinking that it would probably end up leading me back to UCSD for pharmacy school, which I could finish in 7 years if I decided to go to UCSD. Which path would you recommend? I really have no clue. Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Stanford. No contest.

Members don't see this ad :)
My mother keeps saying that I should stay here near my family, and that ultimately, jobs will only look at the UCSD degree. But I still really think that going to Stanford would provide opportunities. After hearing her side though, I'm starting to doubt myself... Would USC be a more reasonable choice than UCSD over Stanford? Sorry, guys. I'm really confused. Thank you for your input.

First of all, cut the dang umbilical cord, seriously.

I don't think we can say that "jobs" will "just look at the UCSD degree" - I mean, Stanford is an extremely well known school AND is in CA to boot. If you were considering, say, UCSD vs. UT Austin (A fine school but lacks the regional influence Stanford's got) then MAYBE I could give that some credence. But honestly, Stanford has clout and will get you where you need to go.

And besides, when you graduate from pharmacy, no one will ever care what your undergraduate education was, because it'll be superfluous. Residencies IN pharmacy school also will not care about your undergrad so ultimately either decision will be fine. Choose which one suits you best... I would relish the chance to get away from home and live somewhere new so obviously that colors my opinion.

If you prefer to stay close to home then go to UCSD - It, too, is a fine school. However, if you ever leave CA, and for whatever reason did not go to pharm. school, Stanford will get you further than UCSD on name brand alone. You always want to plan for Plan B and C, because life's unpredictable.

Stanford. No matter what.

Stanford over UCSD ten times over. Have you heard of the six college system at UCSD? It's so useless if you want an advanced degree beyond a BS/BA! Why be forced to take english/history hybrid classes called DOC/MMW/etc instead of just taking normal classes at Stanford or something? Going to a school like Stanford and getting simply an average GPA will get you an interview at MOST places. My doctor was at Stanford undergrad and got accepted into UCSD medical school (really tough to get into) with a mediocre GPA. Plus, Stanford has generous financial assistance.

On the other hand, I personally have a friend that chose to attend UCSD over Stanford. He loves it! but many people still don't agree with his decision. The fact is, you are smart enough to get into both schools, so you have the luxury of picking where you want to go. Be happy with where you pick. Goodluck!

Stanford or USC over UCSD x10000

I was also admitted to both universities as an undergrad and chose UCSD because of both financial issues and an unfitting campus climate for me. I wasn't initially a pre-pharm student! But I really like the education that I'm receiving at UCSD. I would say to go to the campus and really ask questions!

However, the 7 year program at UCSD, you'd have to apply to and isn't guaranteed. My roommate just got in and his stats was a 3.98 in Biochem/chem. So to do the program you'd have to be a chemistry major and basically take pchem and other chem classes that may not be relevant (but most are anyway!)!

I won't tell you which to choose :D, but do put a holistic view on both!

Thank you for your inputs! I've decided to go to Stanford, and am very grateful to have been accepted. Life really is unpredictable, so I'll try not to make any rash pre-inclinations and go where the wind blows. Thank you!

I have recently been accepted to both universities. Though I believe that Stanford will provide unimaginable resources and opportunities, I can't help thinking that it would probably end up leading me back to UCSD for pharmacy school, which I could finish in 7 years if I decided to go to UCSD. Which path would you recommend? I really have no clue. Thank you for your time!

Hey! Go to Stanford!

You probably have the brain to go to medical school. Once you go to Stanford, you won't even look at pharmacy as an option because I bet none of your future classmates are interested in pharmacy (more interested in medicine and to a lesser extent dentistry) at a school like Stanford. I have never seen anyone going into pharmacy school coming out of top schools like harvard, yale, and princeton.

Hey! Go to Stanford!

You probably have the brain to go to medical school. Once you go to Stanford, you won't even look at pharmacy as an option because I bet none of your future classmates are interested in pharmacy (more interested in medicine and to a lesser extent dentistry) at a school like Stanford. I have never seen anyone going into pharmacy school coming out of top schools like harvard, yale, and princeton.
what a sweeping generalization.....
since when is stanford "too good" for pharmacy ???epic lawlzzz

Hey! Go to Stanford!

Dude,

You are applying to pharmacy school and you are implying that the only reason people are going to pharmacy school instead of medical school is because they are not smart enough? Are you admitting that you are not smart enough? Well, then, maybe it's just you...

I, for one, was pre-med in college, so naturally I have many friends who are in medical schools. I was definitely smarter than them and even tutored them through classes we took together. I chose to go to pharmacy school because after working close with MDs for several years, I realized that MD wasn't for me.

I think you need to do some more soul searching... You don't want to feel inferior for the rest of your life whenever you are near MDs...

Hey! Go to Stanford!

I graduated from Stanford, and I am entering pharmacy school this fall. While pharmacy isn't nearly as popular as medicine, law or business, it is a respected field at Stanford (and elsewhere).