Stanford vs UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WillT2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've read the previous posts regarding this topic, but I'm curious what the current crop of applicants think about why put one over the other (asides from the "prestige factor"). What did you all think about the two when you interviewed. Current residents' opinions are always welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I've read the previous posts regarding this topic, but I'm curious what the current crop of applicants think about why put one over the other (asides from the "prestige factor"). What did you all think about the two when you interviewed. Current residents' opinions are always welcome!

Interviewing at both, you do get the impression that UCSF considers itself in league with Harvard, Hopkins, etc. While Stanford tries its best to convince you that its in league with UCSF (which it doesnt appear to be). I think most unbiased observers consider UCSF the stronger training program (3-hospital system) with relatively stronger residents and clinical faculty across the board. Plus its in a better location.

I think Stanford has superior salary, generally an easier residency (hours-wise), and possibly slightly better basic science research.

Both are amazing programs and you would get excellent training at both with few limits to fellowship opportunities.

Kind of along the same lines was wondering if someone could give feedback about these two places (UCLA vs Stanford)?

So i know UCSF is the most rigorous training on the west coast with awesome fellowship matches....but i can't seem to decide between Stanford or UCLA for my #2 and #3.

My impressions were that UCLA had solid training program...between the county hospitals and their main CHS bldg you got to see to whole spectrum of patients. Its probably a more hands on learning experience.

On the other hand stanford is slightly "cush"...one UCSF resident i spoke to said they thought of stanford residents being a bit coddled. How true that is I dont know. I think stanford will still provide excellent training, but not all of it is hands on. Residents seemed to have more time to read, their patient population was not as diverse as UCLA or UCSF, but they still saw some.

These were just the impressions I left with but its not helping me really decide who should go #2 and #3...and with only a few days left for final certification i'm stressing a bit. Did any of you guys leave with different impressions?

Thanks

Kind of along the same lines was wondering if someone could give feedback about these two places (UCLA vs Stanford)?

So i know UCSF is the most rigorous training on the west coast with awesome fellowship matches....but i can't seem to decide between Stanford or UCLA for my #2 and #3.

My impressions were that UCLA had solid training program...between the county hospitals and their main CHS bldg you got to see to whole spectrum of patients. Its probably a more hands on learning experience.

On the other hand stanford is slightly "cush"...one UCSF resident i spoke to said they thought of stanford residents being a bit coddled. How true that is I dont know. I think stanford will still provide excellent training, but not all of it is hands on. Residents seemed to have more time to read, their patient population was not as diverse as UCLA or UCSF, but they still saw some.

These were just the impressions I left with but its not helping me really decide who should go #2 and #3...and with only a few days left for final certification i'm stressing a bit. Did any of you guys leave with different impressions?

Thanks

I think you cant go wrong with either. Both tend to match into fellowships at their home institution more, so the real question is are you more a NorCal or SoCal guy. Other than that I think they're pretty similar programs (UCLA has more quaternary care but has more training sites, Stanford is also very quaternary care focused). I think for Cards and GI Stanford had a slightly better match making me think its more competitive, and it just has the brand name, but I think aside from those points the programs are more similar than different IMHO.