Stanford vs. WashU vs. UChicago vs. CCLCM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ivybme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay...to start off, this is actually a waitlist thread. I would probably choose all four of these schools over my current acceptance. It's totally possible that I don't get off the waitlist from any of these schools, but in anticipation of a hectic May (in general, maybe not for me), I just wanted some thoughts between these schools. Cost & time to complete my degree are not important to me at all. I prefer some of the ROAD subspecialties so that part of the match list I am most interested in.

Stanford
Pros:
++++Amazing research opportunities, can do 5th year for research and get paid
+++Great match list into subspecialties
++Ability to take courses outside of medical school
+West coast weather
Cons:
-Not in a city, but still close to SF?
-Clinicals seemed to be not as strong

WashU
Pros:
+++Great research opportunities, 5th year of research encouraged
+++Great match list into competitive subspecialties
++Students seemed pretty chill
+BJH is a decent hospital for clinicals
Cons:
-Midwest/St Louis
-Didn't connect with students as much

Pritzker
Pros:
+++Happiest students I met
++Decent match list
++Chicago
++Had the strongest commitment to urban health
Cons:
-Ranking dropped significantly, not sure what this means exactly?
-Research seemed weakest of these four schools (although still very strong)

CCLCM (though it doesn't matter to me, this would be cheapest option by far)
Pros:
+++Yale System, no grades
+++Clinic seems like a top notch place to train at
+++Clinical research is good
Cons:
-Midwest/Cleveland
-Few opportunities outside of medical school
-Small class size

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure the chances you get off all these WLs but I would think Stanford>WashU>Pritzker>CCLCM based on your pros/cons above. I think Stanford, Pritzker, WashU are probably a little bit above CCLCM, but CCLCM is its own unique/special program so that has its perks. You seem to really emphasize research and will need that to match into a competitive specialty, so Stanford/WashU seem to be the best two options from your list. I can't imagine Pritzker lacks research opps though (and I wouldn't give any weight to the ranking thing) and CCLCM's curriculum has research literally built into it.

Edit: ivyBME- I see you're BME grad. If BME research is at all something you're interested in, Stanford is the clear standout. Of course, this might make your chances of making it to match drop slightly (i.e. would need to resist the allure of silicon valley/venture capital)

Last edited:
Not sure the chances you get off all these WLs but I would think Stanford>WashU>Pritzker>CCLCM based on your pros/cons above. I think Stanford, Pritzker, WashU are probably a little bit above CCLCM, but CCLCM is its own unique/special program so that has its perks. You seem to really emphasize research and will need that to match into a competitive specialty, so Stanford/WashU seem to be the best two options from your list. I can't imagine Pritzker lacks research opps though (and I wouldn't give any weight to the ranking thing) and CCLCM's curriculum has research literally built into it.

Edit: ivyBME- I see you're BME grad. If BME research is at all something you're interested in, Stanford is the clear standout. Of course, this might make your chances of making it to match drop slightly (i.e. would need to resist the allure of silicon valley/venture capital)

Thanks for your feedback. I am somewhat interested in BME research, but I am also considering going in a different direction and doing more clinically-related research. Also, by no means do I believe that I will even get off one of these waitlists; I just want to make sure that if I am lucky enough to get off these waitlists, I know which school is the best fit for me!

Reactions: 1 user