Stanford waitlist - dare to dream?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sorrento

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there was a thread way back about the virual impossibility of getting in off Stanford's waitlist. Has anybody heard anything at all recently regarding waitlist movement - is the list ranked, when do they start pulling people off, etc etc? I haven't heard of anybody getting in off the waitlist yet, but any news is welcome.thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

hmm, I think I just found my answer in the Official Waitlist Movement thread - according to choker, nothing til June. damn.

oh well, anyone with morsels of info, please share.

I saw this somewhere -- a link to info about the Stanford admissions process. I thought it was interesting that from what I remember, if you are waitlisted and are not admitted, they will reserve a spot for you in next year's class. I didn't read too carefully because I didn't apply to Stanford, so don't quote me on that.

<a href="http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~khnguyen/Stanford_med.pdf" target="_blank">Stanford Info</a>

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by jonquille:
•I saw this somewhere -- a link to info about the Stanford admissions process. I thought it was interesting that from what I remember, if you are waitlisted and are not admitted, they will reserve a spot for you in next year's class. I didn't read too carefully because I didn't apply to Stanford, so don't quote me on that.

<a href="http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~khnguyen/Stanford_med.pdf" target="_blank">Stanford Info</a>•••••That's only true if you get on the First Alternate list, which is different from the regular waitlist. When Stanford has given out a certain number of admissions offers, they stop handing out acceptances. Applicants that are interviewed after that time who Stanford feels would be otherwise admitted if there were still spots left will be placed on the 1st Alt list. Those applicants are guaranteed a spot at Stanford, either for the upcoming fall if there's space, or with the next year's class. Applicants who are on the regular waitlist are not reserved spots for the next year's class.

Being on Stanford's regular "hold" or waitlist, it appears, is one of the most grim waitlists of all medical schools. They say that 0-15 get off the list, but I'm assuming that includes those offered an acceptance from the alternate list, and as AJM noted, you get placed on the list if they can't offer you an outright acceptance.

I'm not holding my breath on this one. It would've been very sweet to attend such a great institution.

I know 1 person who's accepted at Stanford and on upper waitlist at HOpkins.. and he sayz he'll go to hopkins if he gets in ( and he's got a good chance from that list), so that'll be 1 spot for waiters... me thinks my friend is crazy to pick hopkins over stanford but to each his own..