Stanford Waitlist Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soon2Bmd2005

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this site and was just wondering if anyone knows how active the Stanford waitlist is? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

soon2Bmd2005 said:
Hi, I'm new to this site and was just wondering if anyone knows how active the Stanford waitlist is? Thanks!

I called, and spoke with the admissions 'counselor'. he described the chance of getting off the waitlist to be close to none, as stanford hasn't had to go to it for the past 3 years. this sounds somewhat suspicious to me, but perhaps i was ranked really low on the waitlist, and he didn't want to give me false illusions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dentotape said:
I called, and spoke with the admissions 'counselor'. he described the chance of getting off the waitlist to be close to none, as stanford hasn't had to go to it for the past 3 years. this sounds somewhat suspicious to me, but perhaps i was ranked really low on the waitlist, and he didn't want to give me false illusions.

I'm thinking about writing a letter of intent. What do you think? Thanks again for the info.

soon2Bmd2005 said:
I'm thinking about writing a letter of intent. What do you think? Thanks again for the info.

i don't think it can hurt! gluck!! :luck:

Dentotape said:

I did not realize that Stanford put people on the waitlist already. Just wondering when did you interview? And how did they inform you?

arraysyn said:
I did not realize that Stanford put people on the waitlist already. Just wondering when did you interview? And how did they inform you?

I interviewed in late January and I was informed via snail mail.

Stanford has always been a little arrogant (by "a little," I mean "EXTREMELY") about how everyone supposedly wants to attend and we're all supposed to be dying to go there and nobody in their right mind gives up an acceptance. I think there probably isn't TOO much movement from the waitlist, but I can't imagine that it would be as little as the admissions counselor you mentioned made it sound like.

id be surprised if a school doesnt have to take anyone from the waitlist but with stanford they accept enough such that they dont have to turn to the waitlist; im not certain but i believe they accept 35-45 more than the number of spots they have. With stanford being who they are, this is prob enough to not have to turn to the waitlist. Perhaps they do this b.c they want their future students to think they got in straight and not from a waitlist; not sure, just conjecture. Best of luck!

Not to shot down all of your hopes, but last year there was NO movement. I did everything they told me to do if it was my top choice... wrote the letters of intent, even had my boss at the time (Stanford alum and fairly big name in research in CA) write me a stong letter of rec to supplement. And nothing. When I called them back in June or whever they had said to, they pretty much said there was almost no chance of getting in and that they did not anticipate the list moving at all. I later heard there was no movement at all. So try if you want, but I would not get my hopes up. I wish they had just told me that flat out instead of wasting my time with all the letters and waiting. Good luck.

What do you guys think?

If you don't hear from them after the standard 3-5 weeks wait time post-interview, are we safe to assume that we are either in the waitlist or rejection category?

Any body didn't get any news from news post-interview after 3-5 weeks?

Yeah, what Stanford does instead of the waitlist is that the fill their class (plus some) and then put people that they would have normally accepted - but no longer have room for - on the "alternate list." The people on the tail end of the alternate list are guaranteed spots in the next years class if one doesn't open up for them.

So yeah, those of us who are waitlisted basically have no chance. I'm not going to give up though!

This is a bit crazy though. What's the point of waitlisting and rejecting post interview if they don't take anyone off the waitlist?!