stanford

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by vyc, Feb 13, 2002.

1. vyc

vyc Senior Member

i can't find the thread that had the list of schools still interviewing and stuff...
    but today i got an interview invite from stanford. the letter was dated feb. 6th.

the first available date was March 12th.
    and they'll be interviewing into May.

(that's so late...! how will i make a decision by may 15th??? does anyone know if stanford is rolling?)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. choker

choker Senior Member

Hi, i interviewed at stanford exactly 4 weeks ago and so i know a little about their program.
    1) be happy you got an invite. they interview 500 people and accept 180-200 of them.
    2) dont worry about interviewing so late (you have no choice). they DO interview through may and so you are competing for an acceptance, not a first alternate spot.
    3) they ARE rolling and notify applicants they say between 4-6 weeks after interview. they meet on thursdays and call you as soon as the decision is made if they accept you. they often make the decision well before the 4 week mark also.

-go to the interview, dont worry about the timing screwing you (stanford really starts and ends later than most)_ only the late april/may people may be in trouble for interviewing so late.
    -and dont worry about the may deadline. worst thing that happens is that you lose your 100$ deposit.

-oh btw, i have YET to hear from stanford but am going absolutely bonkers as the 4 week thursday is only a few hours away...

4. vyc

vyc Senior Member

do you know how many they've already accepted to date?

i would DIE to go to stanford. DIE!!!

5. choker

choker Senior Member

nope, but i wouldn't worry about it. you're interviewing at around the 70% of the way through mark (in mid march, that is, not now). i am pulling that number out of my butt but it seems logical considering they started interviewing so late.

i really dont think timing matters that much. i think stanford uses a score system where if your total score is above a threshold, you get in. this threshold doesn't change as the year progresses, and they've already scored you within reach of an acceptance (that is with perfect interview scores). i know that in may, they actually run out of spots and put acceptable people on a "first alternate waitlist" which is almost always cleared before the year starts. if you dont get off this waitlist they gaurantee you admission for the following year.

i really loved stanford and would prob. choose them over harvard (mostly because of the money issue).

ah, tomorrow night... stanford may be my valentine :D .

6. quaileggs

quaileggs Senior Member

vyc- Could you please tell me when your app at Stanford was complete? I appreciate it.I'm going nuts waiting to hear from Stanford.

7. vyc

vyc Senior Member

choker, why would stanford be cheaper than harvard?
    i've heard that harvard's financial aid package is quite generous.

quaileggs, i don't have an exact date, but i should have been complete around mid-November.
    i took the August MCATs.
    good luck!!