Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

stanford

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by vyc, Feb 13, 2002.

1. vyc

vyc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i can't find the thread that had the list of schools still interviewing and stuff...
    but today i got an interview invite from stanford. the letter was dated feb. 6th.

the first available date was March 12th.
    and they'll be interviewing into May.

(that's so late...! how will i make a decision by may 15th??? does anyone know if stanford is rolling?)

2. choker

choker Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi, i interviewed at stanford exactly 4 weeks ago and so i know a little about their program.
    1) be happy you got an invite. they interview 500 people and accept 180-200 of them.
    2) dont worry about interviewing so late (you have no choice). they DO interview through may and so you are competing for an acceptance, not a first alternate spot.
    3) they ARE rolling and notify applicants they say between 4-6 weeks after interview. they meet on thursdays and call you as soon as the decision is made if they accept you. they often make the decision well before the 4 week mark also.

-go to the interview, dont worry about the timing screwing you (stanford really starts and ends later than most)_ only the late april/may people may be in trouble for interviewing so late.
    -and dont worry about the may deadline. worst thing that happens is that you lose your 100$ deposit.

-oh btw, i have YET to hear from stanford but am going absolutely bonkers as the 4 week thursday is only a few hours away...

3. vyc

vyc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

do you know how many they've already accepted to date?

i would DIE to go to stanford. DIE!!!

4. choker

choker Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

nope, but i wouldn't worry about it. you're interviewing at around the 70% of the way through mark (in mid march, that is, not now). i am pulling that number out of my butt but it seems logical considering they started interviewing so late.

i really dont think timing matters that much. i think stanford uses a score system where if your total score is above a threshold, you get in. this threshold doesn't change as the year progresses, and they've already scored you within reach of an acceptance (that is with perfect interview scores). i know that in may, they actually run out of spots and put acceptable people on a "first alternate waitlist" which is almost always cleared before the year starts. if you dont get off this waitlist they gaurantee you admission for the following year.

i really loved stanford and would prob. choose them over harvard (mostly because of the money issue).

ah, tomorrow night... stanford may be my valentine :D .

5. quaileggs

quaileggs Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

vyc- Could you please tell me when your app at Stanford was complete? I appreciate it.I'm going nuts waiting to hear from Stanford.

6. vyc

vyc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

choker, why would stanford be cheaper than harvard?
    i've heard that harvard's financial aid package is quite generous.

quaileggs, i don't have an exact date, but i should have been complete around mid-November.
    i took the August MCATs.
    good luck!!