1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Stanford's Secondary

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by SwimGirl, Aug 5, 2001.

1. SwimGirl

SwimGirl Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone else received the letter to fill out Stanford's secondary online. I went on today to start working on it and it looks to me like there is some error or it is incomplete. If anyone else has looked at this, let me know and maybe we can figure out what the problem is (if there is one). Thanks.
    :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AJM

AJM SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Hey SwimGirl,
    Can you expand on what you mean when you say that their application seems incomplete? They did change their secondary this year so that it's much shorter than in previous years (i.e. only about 1 or 2 short essays now). Is this what you're talking about, or is there a real error on it?

4. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

I did the secondary and turned it in already. They don't ask for like ANY information at all.Then when you do a check to see if you have everything, it says they don't have your permanent address! haha..or anything about your parents..however, they never asked for it anyways! So I just filled it in from that "check area" and then sent it away. It's really simple...

5. saffron

saffron Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

wow i didnt know they were already sending out invitations to complete secondaries. i havent gotten the rejection notice OR a letter to fill out the secondary. should i be worried? :(

maybe they are just sending it out as they get primaries from AMCAS... :confused:

6. AJM

AJM SDN Moderator

Fellow [Any Field]
    You should not be worried. They are reviewing applications as they get them from AMCAS, and AMCAS has barely sent them any. I'm sure they will get your application in time -- I would be more worried about AMCAS getting their act together. ;)

7. SwimGirl

SwimGirl Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey,
    What I meant was on the 4th page it has some paragraph about extracurriculars and asks you to put advisors (or contacts) but that you don't need to duplicate anything on AMCAS. It also says to answer the following questions... However, when I look at it, there is only one question after that paragraph. Is that it? or is there supposed to be more?

I just don't want to have anything else screwed up in this lovely application process. Thanks for all your replies and help.

8. mdhopeful

mdhopeful Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Would someone who received a Stanford secondary please post the secondary questions on this thread? There have been some posting that it has changed from last year and is much shorter. Thank you.

9. AJM

AJM SDN Moderator

Fellow [Any Field]
    Scooby has already posted Stanford's main secondary question on a previous thread a couple of days ago. I'll see if I can find it and bump it up.

10. AJM

AJM SDN Moderator

Fellow [Any Field]
    Here's the question that I copied from Scooby's post. It's actually the same question that they ask every year, they just decided not to ask the other essay questions this year.

8. The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. Although answering this question is optional, the Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences.
    Please: a) discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine, and b) describe in detail (to the extent not included in previous answers) your involvement in campus or off-campus activities, paid or unpaid, in terms of community service, assumption of leadership roles, activities related to the care of others, etc.

11. Tideguy

Tideguy Member
    7+ Year Member

I haven't heard anything yet from Stanford. No rejection or secondary information. My AMCAS went through forever ago.

12. grasshopper

grasshopper Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

OK, now I'm confused. I'm applying to Stanford but haven't gotten the secondary, probably because my AMCAS isn't processed. This is fine, but I'm trying to get all the essays I know about written before I start back to work and school next week, and I was working on this question in this thread for Stanford's. Then I ran across another thread that says there is no real essay in Stanford. What's going on?! Can somebody that's done Stanford clarify? If this question that ajm posted isn't from Stanford, where is it from? Or are you guys making up questions just to play with my mind? :)

13. AJM

AJM SDN Moderator

Fellow [Any Field]
    Okay, I know that the question I posted above is definitely from Stanford's application, because I have read hundreds of answers to that question in reviewing Stanford's previous secondary applications (I do admissions work, but I'm NOT an Adcom). I think what someone meant when they said that it wasn't a real essay is maybe that they are limiting the length of the essay this year. I believe Scooby said that the limit is about 300 words? It also might not be considered a real essay because it is optional.

As far as why some people are hearing back from them and some people not, I have no idea what's going on. All I know is that I saw our Dean of Admissions a couple of weeks ago and he was furious with the whole AMCAS situation. However, he did say that they would not even consider going back to paper applications, so they are probably only processing applications that are received electronically from AMCAS right now. But, again, I don't know the full story...

14. GermanJohn

GermanJohn Member
    7+ Year Member

It's optional and they ask you to limit your essay to 25 lines of text.

15. synite

synite Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

ok, too many different answers. can someone please give a simple Yes or No to this?

so Stanford's secondary has only ONE essay, it is the one posted above, it is optional, and it must be limited to 25 lines.

is this correct? thanks :)

16. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It is the same essay posted in ajm's post above. It is optional and limits you to 25 lines. It says 'Please limit it' yet even when you go over, it will cut off in the printout. The 25 lines are actually about 18-19 lines in a 12 pt Times font on Word.

Andrew

17. grasshopper

grasshopper Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thank you, ajm. That was helpful.

18. redowa

redowa Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

just curious, what sort of things are you guys mentioning in the stanford secondary essay? it's weird that we're not supposed to repeat any info already given in the amcas app but the essay prompt still asks for extracurriculars that contribute to the preparation of a career in medicine. any ideas?