Stanton/Stinson book vs. Caggiano notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyberKnife19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody had the opportunity to compare the Stanton/Stinson book to the Caggiano notes? I am at a program that Mr. Caggiano visits every other year to teach us a crash course in RadOnc physics, so all of the senior residents have a copy of his "notes"(500+ pages, what a misnomer!), which I was able to peruse. However, I have not seen the Stanton/Stinson book as a comparison, so I was wondering if anyone else has been able to compare the two side by side.

Any thoughts? Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Stanton and Stinson is very readable but probably doesn't go into enough depth the way Caggiano's notes do for board prep. I would use both, and avoid Kahn when trying to prepare for physics boards.

I read the green book cover to cover and used Caggiano's questions. No way I could have made it through all of his notes as well. In the end, I focused 90% of my efforts on Raphex ~ we'll see how well that worked out for me, but based on what others have said, this year seems to have been an aberration.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody had the opportunity to compare the Stanton/Stinson book to the Caggiano notes? I am at a program that Mr. Caggiano visits every other year to teach us a crash course in RadOnc physics, so all of the senior residents have a copy of his "notes"(500+ pages, what a misnomer!), which I was able to peruse. However, I have not seen the Stanton/Stinson book as a comparison, so I was wondering if anyone else has been able to compare the two side by side.

Any thoughts? Thanks. :)

There is a roughly 60-70 page summary of Khan that I know circulates among residents that is absolutely golden for the physics portion of the ABR. I would highly recommend getting a copy of that from somebody. Those notes + old Raphex exams will more than prepare you for the physics section. The only drawback to the notes is that they are a little dated (late 90s I believe), so they do not include IMRT, image guidance, etc. but even without those sections, they are still the best resoure I have come across for the exam.

Thanks for the advice above, it is greatly appreciated. :)

Does anybody else have any thoughts or advice? Thanks.