Star Wars and Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anasazi23

Your Digital Ruler
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Han Solo is a narcissist.

Agree? Disagree?

Dr. Evazan (look him up) has antisocial personality disorder.
Agree? Disagree? Not enough information to tell?

Does the Sith a collective delusional disorder? What psychiatric medication would work (if any would at all) for Emperor Palpatine?

What type of chemical are the infamous "death sticks" that are apparently popular recreational drugs sold in the seedy underbelly of Coruscant.

Star Wars is ripe for psychiatric discussion.

Further reading on the Star Wars Oedipal Complex.

Members don't see this ad.

Anasazi23 said:
Han Solo is a narcissist.

Agree? Disagree?

Considering his occupation (smuggler/rebel), I could see an argument being made for ASPD.

Of course, if you believe that the Empire is evil, then you might be fooled into thinking that he's simply a narcissist.

palpatine would get a hefty dose of methadone from me.

han .. . he just needs a good cry, a breakthrough waiting to happen.

but vader, now thats a topic for discussion . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
MtMed said:
palpatine would get a hefty dose of methadone from me.

han .. . he just needs a good cry, a breakthrough waiting to happen.

but vader, now thats a topic for discussion . . .

Serious Oedipal issues...I mean, look how he ends up falling for a woman who is a maternal figure for him at the time of their meeting.

Yes, I myself would send Palpy straight to a Fox reality series involving either dumping the players in the middle of the woods, forcing them to rely on their basic skills for survival, or a fierce nanny who won't take any of his bullsh**.

I love psych, my spouse loves star wars, so between us, we can sort of figure this out... Um, he says the "death sticks" were cigarettes. Except that they glowed... Um, day-glo cigarettes?

He's never heard of Dr. Evazan - some Star Wars fan, huh?

I've never heard of collective delusional disorder - some psych-wanna-be, huh?
Is it like folie a deux?

Regarding Han Solo (I call him "Hans Solo" to drive the spouse up the wall) -
he did seem to reap untoward joy from pushing Leia's buttons... I thought that was called being a flirt? Hrm, maybe I need new flirting partners. ;)
I'd argue he's not a narcissist - he doesn't expect everyone to do his bidding or anything - maybe Emperor Palpatine is more of a narcissist?

C3PO seems to have Generalized Anxiety Disorder, don't you think?

Boba Fett saw his dad beheaded - and he was a perfect clone of his dad, so... I'd bet he has some PTSD? But maybe not everyone who witnesses that kind of thing has PTSD? I just sort of assumed...

Darth Vader - might be schizoid? a loner, not caring about social interactions.

psych2b said:
I love psych, my spouse loves star wars, so between us, we can sort of figure this out... Um, he says the "death sticks" were cigarettes. Except that they glowed... Um, day-glo cigarettes?
"death sticks" are definately a form of street drug in the star wars universe. At least that's what all the novels that all my friends have read say. :D
He's never heard of Dr. Evazan - some Star Wars fan, huh?
What better time to expand your knowledge of the brilliant star-wars universe?!
I've never heard of collective delusional disorder - some psych-wanna-be, huh?
Is it like folie a deux?
Sorta. Look up 'cult mentality'
Regarding Han Solo (I call him "Hans Solo" to drive the spouse up the wall) -
he did seem to reap untoward joy from pushing Leia's buttons... I thought that was called being a flirt? Hrm, maybe I need new flirting partners. ;)
I'd argue he's not a narcissist - he doesn't expect everyone to do his bidding or anything - maybe Emperor Palpatine is more of a narcissist?
Fair enough. Remember though, that he is a smuggler by trade (as pointed out above).
C3PO seems to have Generalized Anxiety Disorder, don't you think?
Good point. I'll think on this.
Boba Fett saw his dad beheaded - and he was a perfect clone of his dad, so... I'd bet he has some PTSD? But maybe not everyone who witnesses that kind of thing has PTSD? I just sort of assumed...
But Jango never had PTSD that we know. Are you asserting a genetic link to PTSD? Perhaps through the diathesis-stress model? Interesting. In this scenario, however, it would be a bizarro world reverse genetic phenotypic anomoly.
Darth Vader - might be schizoid? a loner, not caring about social interactions.
Despite his incredible awkwardness as a fledgling jedi, he DID have a large love interest with the Padme. His social interactions (acting?) were so awkward at times...one could think of Asperger's.

Anasazi23 said:
Despite his incredible awkwardness as a fledgling jedi, he DID have a large love interest with the Padme. His social interactions (acting?) were so awkward at times...one could think of Asperger's.

... or just bad acting. ;)

Anasazi23 said:
I prefer to call it "wooden." It's less pejorative. :cool:

Do you READ the dictionary daily? Don't I recall pontification in another one of your posts?!

Anasazi23 said:
I appreciate the implication of your rejoinder. :)

Stop making me look up words ;)

My parents assured me that Star Wars was "intellectual drival"; well they obviously failed to recognize the link between Star Wars and high vocabularies!