Start an ER residency after FM, to whom to apply to get credit months in the ER residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anjalkaisy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys really need your thoughts in this situation,

I am 3rd year FM resident and planning to apply to ER residency, is it possible to get a credit months or year in the ER residency, if so, to whom and how to apply for that?

Really appreciate your help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am 3rd year FM resident and planning to apply to ER residency, is it possible to get a credit months or year in the ER residency, if so, to whom and how to apply for that?

Depends on if/where you match, and the benevolence of your EM PD.

On one hand, they may go for it as it's potentially less months they need to fund you for - even with the partial GME funding for a second residency, there's still an outlay by the department/hospital/whomever.

On the other, being "bodies down" in the schedule may be a serious staffing problem, so they may put the kibosh on it.

Step 1 = ask during interviews
Step 2 = don't be pushy about it
Step 3 = match... knowing if you're pushy about it, it may bite you in the keister; and you're already at a potential disadvantage given you've used up all your "full funding"

Good luck!
-d

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd expect none.
This type of situation creates a scheduling problem.
Maybe you can get out of an off service month or two.
It really depends on the way the program is structured.
Where I trained, they really needed you on all those months.

Was EM program director for 21 yrs (ACGME program), currently EM core faculty (amongst other roles). Went through this process with several residents over the years (we had a few folks complete IM, Med-Peds, or Peds residencies prior to starting our program). I've attached the current policy (which comes from ABEM- the American Board of Emergency Medicine) which governs applicants getting credit for prior training.
It spells things out pretty clearly. You can't get any credit for EM rotations (unless you did an EM rotation at an accredited EM residency program where your FM was at, and there are limits). So don't count on any credit for EM rotations. Like another poster said, you'll be needed particularly for your EM months, which is where you really need to learn, and it's the most important part of your training. I was always hesitant to give credit for ICU months, I felt that was really important to get at our program as well.

It's entirely up to the PD and what you negotiate with him/her. The max credit is 12 months, but I would doubt you'd be able to get anywhere near that from an FM residency (many of which are outpatient heavy). (The policy changed from 6 mos max to the current 12 in February 2015). With our folks it varied. The Med-Peds grads got the most credit, straight IM and Peds got less. What you get credit for has to match up with something in the EM program's rotations/curriculum. For an FM grad, you could probably get credit for your OB rotation, and likely some elective time. Beyond that you have to look at the program's rotations and see what might match up. It's all negotiable with the PD up to the max # of months.

VERY IMPORTANT- the PD MUST make the request to ABEM before you start the EM program (most likely July 1 start date). Otherwise they won't take your application. Most seasoned PD's know how the process works. Funding for a 2nd residency is a separate issue, but it's not zero funding (it is less), and some programs won't look at applicants with prior training. You will need to be a strong applicant and have very good reasons for switching specialties.

Best of luck with the process. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Attachments

• ABEM-CreditForTrainingOtherSpecialties-Feb2015.pdf
    99.3 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: 1 user
From what I recall, I think you will be able get a maximum of six months credit, and this would usually be for non-EM blocks--which is good for you. (I'm sure you could probably get out of one EM block as well.)

I did a Transitional Year before EM, and I got at least a couple months credit, allowing for an extra elective and one extra EM rotation, which is something I wanted back then since I hated being anywhere but the ER.

So, it's not necessarily vacation or finishing your residency early, but you can get out of less desirable rotations that you may already have completed.

Good luck!

Not to be a jerk, but why would you want to? If this is what you are planning to do for a living, why would you give up 1-3 months of training? Unless you were functioning at the same level as an EM resident as a family resident......

Not to be a jerk, but why would you want to? If this is what you are planning to do for a living, why would you give up 1-3 months of training? Unless you were functioning at the same level as an EM resident as a family resident......

That being said: you should totally get OB credit and maybe inpatient stuff too.