start dates for med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rina33

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you attending medical school in the fall, what is the average date that you are moving towards the area? I am considering setting a wedding date for my fiance and I on July 19 of 2003, and then going on a 10 day(ish) honeymoon. I am hoping that this would not interfere with freshmen medical school orientations or start dates in Fall 03, as I am applying via AMCAS right now. The places I've looked at online don't seem as though their dates would be too problematic, but I'm curious about what your experiences have been as far as a practical time to move towards the area. Thanks for your replies, despite my long windedness! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Starting dates vary from school to school, but I have found that the vast majority of schools start some time in August. I would consider moving into the area a good 1-2 weeks before school starts. There was a thread a while back that listed the starting dates of each medical school. It should be many pages back, but try looking for it to give you a more accurate picture. Good luck and congrats on your impending wedding. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools start mid to late august. Some start in September and some start in July. You might want to check the MSAR re those dates.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by CANES2006:
•Starting dates vary from school to school, but I have found that the vast majority of schools start some time in August. I would consider moving into the area a good 1-2 weeks before school starts. There was a thread a while back that listed the starting dates of each medical school. It should be many pages back, but try looking for it to give you a more accurate picture. Good luck and congrats on your impending wedding. :) •••••To me 1-2 weeks before anything starts seems like a lot of time to just be hanging out. Right now, I'm not planning on moving to Cincinnati more than a week before orientation starts (August 13). I mean, it only takes so long to set up an apartment, unless you also have to look for one when you get there.

I just got married last Sunday and I'll be starting med school the second week of August. I leave for my honeymoon on Saturday (can't wait). Anyway...I would advise a mid-late June or very early July wedding date. Orientations are usually earlier than this time frame, and most schools start early August. That way you will have a good month after your honeymoon to get ready for school. Believe me, the stress of a wedding and traveling (and other stuff :) ) forf a honeymoon will drain a lot of your energy....you want to give yourself some time to focus on school before it starts, imo.