Start in DO school Switch to MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sound Stream

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if it is possible to start in a DO school, that offers both DO and MD tracts, and then switch/work your way into the MD program???

I have heard of people doing this..is it a myth only?? or does it hold some truth?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My friend is doing it this year. He is beginning his third year.

One guy my freshman year did that. He trasnferred to a SUNY school but had to take the entire first year over again. I also met a radiology candidate on the road and he spent two years at a DO school and then switched his third year. I am not sure, however, how many courses transferred in that case. So, it is possible. If you can't deal with being a DO, it's probably a good idea to switch.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's possible but a difficult road. I personally wouldn't count on it but you can always try. Just remember there is a good chance that if you enter a 4-year DO program, that you will probably end up there too.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :wink:

What do you mean by a school havnig "DO and MD tracks" ??

Do you mean cases where there is a DO and an MD school on the same campus?

Yes, where a school offers both the MD and DO study....

How many schools offer both an MD and DO? I know that I'm at one of them (Michigan State) and I've never heard of any DO student switching over to the MD school, but I've only been here 4 years so maybe it does happen.

if you can't deal with being a DO should you apply to a DO school in the first place?? I have heard of the switch after your first two years and nailing the boards. But even with that- it was a super strange circumstance that required the change.

No schools offer conjoint degrees DO and MD. Well except for UMDNJ's and MSU programs which have an allopathic and an osteopathic branch (seperate schools). Both DO and MD are very similar in terms of coursework. DO's get about 1 yr more neuro/physio/muscular skeletal taining and something called OMT (Os :clap: teopathic Manipulative Treatment)which is the ability to correct structural deformities (somewhat like a chiropracter)and to alleviate many common symptoms of autonomic stress ie IBD/neuralgia pain/Sciatica.

But to get your questions more fully answered you should post this question to the Pre-Osteopathic Forum (so you will not miss replies)where many students like you are wrestling with this very dilemma.

Good luck

we actually have one student transferring to a MD school, but that's only because she really wanted to be in a certain area, not because she really wanted to be a MD.

i happened to be looking at wright state's website and i noticed that they accept 3rd year DO transfers into their MD program. so if anyone's interested in going to ohio it might work for you....