Start Studying for April Exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have already taken my diagnostic (23) with Kaplan, I have all the books and materials I need to start studying, and the class I am taking with them starts in late Jan for the April 7th test. But I wanted to get ahead on some of the material....I understand how important this exam is... I am just having trouble getting started. It seems like such a big task ahead, and I am not motivated to start... any advice would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan has a LOT of preliminary material before you start your actual review.

Get to where you're working problems and taking subject tests and just do it every day. Don't get behind.

I hear ya. I had so much trouble getting started until a friend started scaring me about medical school applications and told me how worried he was for me. Scared me big time. Fear is a great motivator. That got me going full speed. haha

^ditto. Split up the work, make a schedule, and tell yourself you won't go to sleep till you finish the day's work or something like that, works for me. Set goals and hold yourself accountable.

Futuredoc4,

Your struggles are not alone my friend. Today I sat at a cubicle for 2 hours reading physics, trying to be serious, denying the boredom, and thinking of the grueling months ahead. I can't get no sleep! :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same boat lol. I have all day today to do whatever I want and I have NO motivation to start studying. I've gone over practice problems slowly, but haven't really started "studying" for it yet. I think when Feb. comes and I take the MCAT class, it will def. boost my motivation! Plus...am I the only that feels studying this early is almost a waste, considering you won't remember much from now till April. Esp. considering I've taken sssooo many science courses I know all the generic stuff.

That's so weird. It's January 9th and I ALREADY feel behind in my studies. I'm so incredibly nervous about this damn test. Except for all the practice tests I'll take, I'll only be taking the real MCAT once. Is this what people typically do?

Another day of studying kinematics and newtonian mechanics. Study these simple concepts, feel confident, take a quiz, and get 7 out of 10 right, and suddenly doubt kicks right back in. Does this make sense?

Another day of studying kinematics and newtonian mechanics. Study these simple concepts, feel confident, take a quiz, and get 7 out of 10 right, and suddenly doubt kicks right back in. Does this make sense?

Yep, certainly rings a bell. I think what other posters on SDN said about focusing on doing problems is right. I've read some chapters 3 or 4 times and still run into problems I get wrong. Hopefully I can gain enough familiarity with the type of questions presented on the MCAT to not be totally lost on test day. :scared:

well it really depends on how you study..if your doing a few hours a day and a few days a week start asap. otherwise you can seriously learn it all doing like 6 hours a day everyday for 2 months or even less(its what i did) obviously this is how i typically study ie the night before but on a larger scale b/c after all it is the MCAT. also i never went to class or actually study for them...had my first C to show for it. but medschools didnt even ask me why i got a 2.7 that sem either b/c i rocked the mcat or b/c they are much more lenient that semester..im assuming its a little of both.

for motivation..remember its only your future....its in no ones hands but your own and if you dont get on it you have no change of sucess. I printed out my dream mcat score and put it up on my walls along with some motivational quotes. i never ever thought i would beat it..and i beat it by 2 points...anything can happen esp with a high diag like a 23 i had a 21 on mine.