Started Studying??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JourneyToMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you had gotten the list of book names yet and/or purchased them yet? I'm not exactly at a state where I can start studying, but I'd like to buy my books for cheap and just have them around if I could (maybe flip through them while I'm going to the bathroom).

Does anyone know where I could find syllabi or lists of courses + books used? :) :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

you'd probably have to go to your school's website and see if they post course materials and syllabi. but i doubt they'd have the curricula planned out at this point.

i know that you could get books like netter's anatomy and a book like essential clinical anatomy since those books seem to be ubiquitous. shrugs. i'd just wait haha.

Most med students (at my future school anyway) have told me that the vast majority of the books they ask for you do NOT need to buy. Apparently everything you need to know is in the class notes/syllabus.

I would hold off buying any (expensive) books, and on using this summer to relax so that you'll be ready to hit the books once the year starts.

In my case, the only book I plan to open this summer is HP-7.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please re-post this on the medical students board. I want to watch them eat you alive.

i was lucky- a doctor in my neighbourhood was throwing away all of his text books. I took them all from the curb (180lbs worth!) so I have a lot to peruse through. Based on the books, he's an otolaryngologist (sp), but the books range from essential clinical anatomy for medical students to nurse's guide to endocronology. He had the first edition of the textbook that I used in first year biology too.

Dude, if you don't finish Harrison's this summer you'll be way behind. As the title Principles of Internal Medicine implies, it covers the bare essential concepts that you will be expected to master before you move into the more detailed material of medical school.

Awe the sarcasm of SDN in response to a legitimate (Okay, I personally think you should bask in your freedom all summer, but if you must...) question.

The following seem to be THE books to get:
Atlas of Anatomy by Netter
Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple

Other options:
A histology atlas (Like Wheater's - some people don't think this is necessary)
Color Atlas of Anatomy (varied response on whether or not this is needed - it has pretty pictures anyway that are color coded!)
Grant's Dissector (However, this book could also be bought between you and your lab partners).

Personally, I'd stick with Netter's if you absolutely feel like you need a book to start and leave it at that before you get guidance from students at the med school you're going to attend (Recognizing of course that Netter's is pretty much just some awesome drawings and not exactly a sit down and read book). As for Harrison's and such, there's no way you'll have time to get to it with all of the binders worth of med lecture slides. Stick to up-to-date and online versions of textbooks provided for free by your school/in the library instead.

... but I'd like to buy my books for cheap and just have them around if I could (maybe flip through them while I'm going to the bathroom).

When you're going to the bathroom? God, you're such a slacker. I keep mine with me at all times, including those "intimate moments" with a significant other. :rolleyes:

The following seem to be THE books to get:
Atlas of Anatomy by Netter
Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple

Both overrated in my opinion. For illustrated atlases, Thieme, Clemente, and Sobotta are all superior. And then there's photographic atlases. CMMRS is also worth looking at prior to purchase due to its unique style. Hence the need to wait until classes start and make your own decision about what books are worthwhile.

(Having read Harrison's cover-to-cover at that point, you should be able to identify the best ones with some confidence. :smuggrin: )