• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

lilmiscassie92

7+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2010
Status
OK so I am wondering if starting a special interest club would look good for med school applications. Would it show/count as leadership experience even if it is something simple like a book or hiking club?

MShopes

5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2011
Status
Pharmacy Student
OK so I am wondering if starting a special interest club would look good for med school applications. Would it show/count as leadership experience even if it is something simple like a book or hiking club?
Of course. I wish I was a leader to any of our clubs but I never got a chance due to working full time plus my other school activities. It shows responsibility and leadership which is very good. No matter what kind of club is it, for sure consider doing it! Just make sure you try to be the leader though!

paul411

ANES
7+ Year Member
May 27, 2010
Florida
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Don't do it if you're only doing it because it will "look good for med schools". But definitely do it if you're passionate about whatever special interest and there isn't an organization already.

About the Ads

AllDay24

Veteran Member
10+ Year Member
May 26, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Starting special interest clubs won't be all that impressive, as they pretty much involves just registering an organization and gathering members. It's not a like community service organization or fraternity/sorority chapter where you have to work out a mission, find service opportunities, etc.

If you're interested, do it. If not, pass...as it'll only marginally affect your app.

Forca Barca

7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2011
Status
Medical Student
They will definitely ask about it in the interview. be prepared to answer some questions about events and interests

Forca Barca

7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Starting special interest clubs won't be all that impressive, as they pretty much involves just registering an organization and gathering members. It's not a like community service organization or fraternity/sorority chapter where you have to work out a mission, find service opportunities, etc.
I am a president of a club and we do community service + collecting donations for karamanos cancer center and we also tutor math and chem ...
you dont have to have no relationship with the school to do that

desi0chick

7+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2009
Status
Medical Student
As long your club doesn't involve the typical go to meetings then go for it. Make sure you actually hold events and starting a club will definitely not go un-noticed- be prepared to talk about during interviews.

Web MD

Doctor of the Internets
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2009
Look Behind You - Too Late
Status
Pre-Medical
What college do you go to that there is no book or hiking club?

Web MD

Doctor of the Internets
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2009
Look Behind You - Too Late
Status
Pre-Medical
Might as well show them a scrap book of pictures of your cats from "lonely club"

About the Ads