Starting a NPO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medbound13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright so I just registered my non-profit organization with the state and am now seeking tax exemption status. It is something I'm very interested in and something I look forward to enjoy building. My question is will this be of interest to med schools (i.e. standing out from cookie cutter apps) and, will this be considered non-clinical volunteering? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

naturally - it's something.

...but don't count on it impressing anyone unless you make big things happen.

Jeezus. 'Tis the season for these ridiculous posts either bragging or fishing for compliments. Or you could be as naive as your post makes you seem (if so, I apologize for my sharp tongue). "Will XXX improve my med school application?" Spend 10 minutes on these boards to find out what's important. Some things try, but you have to realize, whatever you believe your standout accomplishment is, someone else has done it, and they probably have a better MCAT and GPA. It's the name of the game.

Please don't do this simply because you think it will aid in med school applicaiton. The key to a successful med school application is doing things that you are *genuinely* passionate about and excel at. Not things you give half-assed effort to simply to pad your application.

Most interviewers and adcoms have a pretty strong bull**** meter.

It's probably non-clinical, unless it's a clinically oriented NPO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jeezus. 'Tis the season for these ridiculous posts either bragging or fishing for compliments. Or you could be as naive as your post makes you seem (if so, I apologize for my sharp tongue). "Will XXX improve my med school application?" Spend 10 minutes on these boards to find out what's important. Some things try, but you have to realize, whatever you believe your standout accomplishment is, someone else has done it, and they probably have a better MCAT and GPA. It's the name of the game.

Please don't do this simply because you think it will aid in med school applicaiton. The key to a successful med school application is doing things that you are *genuinely* passionate about and excel at. Not things you give half-assed effort to simply to pad your application.

Most interviewers and adcoms have a pretty strong bull**** meter.

It's probably non-clinical, unless it's a clinically oriented NPO.

I'm already doing it. I was just trying to find out if it's worth mentioning on my app to give me something a little bit different from other applicants and if I was lucky, it could count for volunteer experience. No need to be negative big guy.

When I read the title I thought of "starting a nothing by mouth" lol

So you registered with the state. So you now have an entity with a name. You are not a non-profit unless the IRS grants your application for 501(c) 3 status.

Even then you need to do something before it becomes app worthy.

I am on the board of advisors for a 501(c) 3, and it is clinical related. However we have done nothing but paperwork and some fundraising. So it is NOT on my application as there is nothing to show.

naturally - it's something.

...but don't count on it impressing anyone unless you make big things happen.

A big +1 for this comment. Demonstrable results are key. There are lots of NPOs/NGOs that don't do much except sound pretty on a resume. Make sure you set yourself apart from them.

Also, make sure you have a clear mission and vision, along with a leadership plan for what happens when you matriculate to medical school. It will probably raise some eyebrows to be starting an organization that presumedly needs your leadership immediately before something like medical school.

Either way - good luck!