Starting a Student Organization for Non-Trads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDrB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I have one last semester at my university and I think I'm going to start a student organization for nontraditional students. Most universities have one, but for some reason we don't. Did any of y'all have one at your school, or something similar?

I figure at least it will give me another EC/leadership position to list.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I have one last semester at my university and I think I'm going to start a student organization for nontraditional students. Most universities have one, but for some reason we don't. Did any of y'all have one at your school, or something similar?

The institution I did my post-bacc at has an organization for nontraditional pre-health students. They were the primary organizers of informational sessions (how to apply, talks by various reps from area med schools) and social events. I'd say go for it.

The institution I did my post-bacc at has an organization for nontraditional pre-health students. They were the primary organizers of informational sessions (how to apply, talks by various reps from area med schools) and social events. I'd say go for it.

Cool deal. Were you a part of it? I'm trying to come up with ideas for events, etc. I was the president of a political organization before, but I don't think those kinds of events will fly. Haha.

I think we'll just do volunteer type stuff, Habitat for Humanity, Salvation Army, food kitchen, etc.

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)

Don't start a student organization simply because you want something to list on your resume. In my experience, premed and cultural clubs are more social than anything else and aren't exactly "prime" leadership demonstration. If you really want to make an impact at your university, it might be a good idea to get elected to serve on student government, to conduct research in a lab, or to start a nonprofit that is directly related to the kind of medicine you wish to pursue...

Cool deal. Were you a part of it? I'm trying to come up with ideas for events, etc. I was the president of a political organization before, but I don't think those kinds of events will fly. Haha.

I think we'll just do volunteer type stuff, Habitat for Humanity, Salvation Army, food kitchen, etc.

Any suggestions?

I didn't have time to be involved with the leadership of it, but you've got a good list of ideas. You might want to consider filling in any gaps in support that your university provides non-trads.

Don't start a student organization simply because you want something to list on your resume. In my experience, premed and cultural clubs are more social than anything else and aren't exactly "prime" leadership demonstration. If you really want to make an impact at your university, it might be a good idea to get elected to serve on student government, to conduct research in a lab, or to start a nonprofit that is directly related to the kind of medicine you wish to pursue...

I disagree that the OP is starting this solely as a resume booster (cf. "if nothing else"). Also, depending on the environment at his institution, a support organization for non-traditional pre-health students could fill a huge need.

I disagree that the OP is starting this solely as a resume booster (cf. "if nothing else"). Also, depending on the environment at his institution, a support organization for non-traditional pre-health students could fill a huge need.

Thanks mauberley, you're exactly right. I really don't have the extra time to dedicate myself to starting a student organization, but I really want to do it because I think we need one. I came here at the age of 27 for grad school and would have loved to had an outlet where I could meet other students around my age. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who are wishing the same thing.

Thanks mauberley, you're exactly right. I really don't have the extra time to dedicate myself to starting a student organization, but I really want to do it because I think we need one. I came here at the age of 27 for grad school and would have loved to had an outlet where I could meet other students around my age. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who are wishing the same thing.

As long as you're sincere, then I see nothing wrong with it.

Im doing the same thing at my university. There is no pre-med club of any kind and the advisor that handles the pre-professional students is retiring.

I feel like the structure of such a student organization should be based off of the dispairities we, and others like us face as non-trads. I was blithely unaware of SDN, AAMCAS/ AAMCOMAS rules and regulations and parameters for application verification. This cost me big time and nearly had me thinking I couldn't pursue medicine any longer because of the misery that was my first 3 semesters of undergrad. Resources to give students suffering from social/general anxiety disorders, clinical depression, a place to go to get help and realize they are not alone. Also, that these types of things are not a personal short coming, and should not be considered a weakness.

Basicallly anything I can do to help future financially and medically challenged students circumvent the obstacles I had to labor to overcome.

Thats my vision.

Not a social club.

Im doing the same thing at my university. There is no pre-med club of any kind and the advisor that handles the pre-professional students is retiring.

I feel like the structure of such a student organization should be based off of the dispairities we, and others like us face as non-trads. I was blithely unaware of SDN, AAMCAS/ AAMCOMAS rules and regulations and parameters for application verification. This cost me big time and nearly had me thinking I couldn't pursue medicine any longer because of the misery that was my first 3 semesters of undergrad. Resources to give students suffering from social/general anxiety disorders, clinical depression, a place to go to get help and realize they are not alone. Also, that these types of things are not a personal short coming, and should not be considered a weakness.

Basicallly anything I can do to help future financially and medically challenged students circumvent the obstacles I had to labor to overcome.

Thats my vision.

Not a social club.

I did this same thing at my campus last year. It's a time consuming but ultimately very rewarding experience. Feel free to PM me if you'd like any pointers on the whole process.

Thats my vision.

Not a social club.

I did this same thing at my campus last year. It's a time consuming but ultimately very rewarding experience. Feel free to PM me if you'd like any pointers on the whole process.

Good for both of you. :thumbup:

What I'm going to start is something for just general nontraditional students, not medically-related. We actually have 3 pre-med organizations here already, 2 of which I'm a member of. Very insightful as far as what we do and the guest speakers we have, but you're right, they never focus on non-trads or those with past mistakes who may think medical school is out-of-reach.

Great, now you have me thinking... Pre-D.O. Society? :idea:

Everyone deserves a second chance. Not everyone is aware they have one.

+1 to that.

And I just found out you can easily start a Pre-SOMA Chapter at your school.

http://www.studentdo.com/pre-soma/176

Ok so obviously getting it registered with 10 official members is the first step but what to do about getting activities organized? I envision an easy way to make contact with physicians willing to allow students to shadow, a monthly meeting, and putting together packages of information that spell out the admissions requirements/processes of each individual pre-professionl program.

Ok so obviously getting it registered with 10 official members is the first step but what to do about getting activities organized? I envision an easy way to make contact with physicians willing to allow students to shadow, a monthly meeting, and putting together packages of information that spell out the admissions requirements/processes of each individual pre-professionl program.

What you listed above sounds great. I'm thinking for activities, just team up with any charity and help out a couple times a month. I mean with my other organization, we always did things with the local food bank, American Red Cross, Salvation Army, Susan G. Komen...you name it.

I'm thinking the same things you listed above... Meet twice a month. Put together an informative booklet/brochure. Website with info and useful links, or just a Facebook page if you aren't comfortable building an entire site. Guest speaker (physician) once a month. Running an organization is really pretty simple. The hassle is all the paperwork making it recognized by the university if you want funding from the student government, etc. SO MUCH RED TAPE :bang:

What you listed above sounds great. I'm thinking for activities, just team up with any charity and help out a couple times a month. I mean with my other organization, we always did things with the local food bank, American Red Cross, Salvation Army, Susan G. Komen...you name it.

I'm thinking the same things you listed above ... Meet twice a month. Put together an informative booklet/brochure. Website with info and useful links, or just a Facebook page if you aren't comfortable building an entire site. Guest speaker (physician) once a month. Running an organization is really pretty simple. The hassle is all the paperwork making it recognized by the university if you want funding from the student government, etc. SO MUCH RED TAPE :bang:

Im not super savvy with creating a web site but creating and maintaining a FB page would be stupid easy for a resource. You could post info correlating to school services and simply add all the pre-med students as friends. When it came time to post meeting and volunteer opportunities just post a message on the page and send out a mass message to all the students.

How about passing the torch one you graduate? Who make certain the organization stays functional. I doubt I would want to keep organizing the program when and if I made it into medical school.

Im not super savvy with creating a web site but creating and maintaining a FB page would be stupid easy for a resource. You could post info correlating to school services and simply add all the pre-med students as friends. When it came time to post meeting and volunteer opportunities just post a message on the page and send out a mass message to all the students.

How about passing the torch one you graduate? Who make certain the organization stays functional. I doubt I would want to keep organizing the program when and if I made it into medical school.

Well, you'll have a group of officers, usually a President (you), Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Membership Director and Events Coordinator. Over the course of the semester/year you will see who the right person is to take over. Luckily I have all of this stuffed saved from when I was President of the other organization, so putting this together should be a snap. Below I've posted a sample Constitution which includes the Officers summary. This will save you a ton of time. Just copy and paste your school name in the ___________ areas.

Oh, and you'll also need to change the ARTICLE II: Purpose: Section I info because I was using this for the new organization I was going to start for non-trads.

Attachments

• Sample_Constitution.pdf
    53.9 KB · Views: 60
Well, you'll have a group of officers, usually a President (you), Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Membership Director and Events Coordinator. Over the course of the semester/year you will see who the right person is to take over. Luckily I have all of this stuffed saved from when I was President of the other organization, so putting this together should be a snap. Below I've posted a sample Constitution which includes the Officers summary. This will save you a ton of time. Just copy and paste your school name in the ___________ areas.

Oh, and you'll also need to change the ARTICLE II: Purpose: Section I info because I was using this for the new organization I was going to start for non-trads.

Hey this is great stuff. How would you go about getting memebers right off the bat? Outside of just contacting people you know of course. I have already done that but there aren't seemingly too many students that want to sign up. Its free and if your going to try med school you are going to need to shadow and volunteer. Kids....:mad:

Hey this is great stuff. How would you go about getting memebers right off the bat? Outside of just contacting people you know of course. I have already done that but there aren't seemingly too many students that want to sign up. Its free and if your going to try med school you are going to need to shadow and volunteer. Kids....:mad:

Well, at my school we can send out an email to the entire student body. Pretty convenient. I'd check to see if your school has a similar type of email announcement system.