Aug 1, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
So i'm starting an SMP which is essentially like a first year of medical school. I just wanted to get some good advice from you folks.

In undergrad I didn't really seek the resources available to help set me off on the right foot. Now that i'm starting an M1 year, I don't want to make the same mistake.

Lay down whatever wisdom and advice you can give to me.

piii

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Status
Medical Student
So i'm starting an SMP which is essentially like a first year of medical school. I just wanted to get some good advice from you folks.

In undergrad I didn't really seek the resources available to help set me off on the right foot. Now that i'm starting an M1 year, I don't want to make the same mistake.

I did an SMP, now starting MS1. You literally have to devote your life to studying. I went out once every 2 to 3 weeks. I spent every day and night in the library, almost every weekend day and night. For most med schools, p/f or on some other system, the pre clinical grades matter a bit less for residency than premed grades matter for med school acceptance. Acing an SMP year is pretty stressful when you add GPA weight and the med curriculum. So it's pretty simple: study constantly, make it your 1st priority, and study smart. This means using Anki and other big study techniques. Other than that it's not much else, just pure will power and hard work. If you give it your all, your natural intelligence will dictate the ceiling of your GPA. My first half year of my SMP I worked pretty hard but I still let outside influences affect me, and I got around a 3.6. But i buckled down my second semester and received a 4.0 by making my studies my complete focus, and honestly that was the probably the most helpful thing for my acceptances.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Dig up my post on "guide to medical student success."

choa06

2+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Thanks, I really appreciate it. Keep them coming.
I agree w/ Piii. I also did an SMP and will start M2 in a couple weeks. If possible, you need to block out everything other than academics for this upcoming year. It sounds rough, but it's really not that bad considering if you do well, you will have a great shot at getting into med school. Med school is obviously much faster paced than undergrad, so see what methods work for you and just stick with it. I think it is easy to be intimidated by what the other SMPers are doing, but DON'T BE! People learn differently so just go with what works for you and tune everything else out.

Also, don't be intimidated by the med students or worry about what the curve is going to be etc. Just focus on YOU. If you learn the material well and crush the test, it doesn't matter what the curve is...you're going to get Honors/A!

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions, etc!