Starting anes-cc in July, help filling knowledge gaps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McPoyle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, doing an elective MICU month right now, doing an elective SICU month later, and realizing there are obvious knowledge gaps in not coming from an IM background. Obviously this is to be expected and doing this month has helped a great deal to identify some glaring ones (ID). I'm hoping to get some advice on what y'all commonly see as knowledge gaps and see if you have any high yield topics or advice on resources to look at prior to starting my fellow year?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Evidence-Based Critical Care by Paul Marik (see if your residency program has it on Springerlink for free). Then I would continue with the Civetta Manual of Critical Care, which can be had new for less than $15 from third-parties on Amazon. Beautiful books both, although quite different.

If you finish reading the former (which is one of the best medical books ever written) and start reading the latter (which is a great practical book for intermediate intensivists, and for boards) by the time you start the fellowship, you'll be fine.

I have a Vincent, as textbook. It's really well-written, but it's more of a reference. One should read it only if one is the kind of person who's read the entire Barash or Miller. The new edition is coming in December, but I doubt it's 20 times better than the Civetta manual (though it's 20 times more expensive).

There is also a pretty good $0.99 Kindle book of Critical Care Pearls, and the Critical Care Secrets book is not bad either. But those are fillers. So is Marino's ICU Book, which you should have read by now. Also, if you want a quick IM filler, get the new 6th edition of Pocket Medicine, when it comes out at the end of the month or so. (Even its Kindle version looks good, for a change.)

And then you have just scratched the surface, which includes tens of fantastic Free And Open Medical EDucation blogs that will cause dependence and intellectual ecstasy.

Anything you buy, try to get on paper with an expertconsult.com or studentconsult.com free Inkling ebook included (it's advertised on the top of the front cover). Get an iPad Mini 2 or better, 64 GB or more, when it goes on sale for less than $350-400 (create an alert on slickdeals.net), and put all your books there (it will fit perfectly into the back pocket of your scrubs and will be easily readable, not like the iPhone). Nothing beats Inkling, not even pdf versions, definitely not Kindle ebooks; it's multiOS including a Web version, it's better than print, it's fantastic.

The subspecialty board exam will be the absolute toughest you have ever taken. It will shake you to the core, and show you how vast CCM is and how little you know (especially when compared to the question-writers).

P.S. Now go look for a cardiac fellowship for after CCM (if you're an anesthesiology resident). ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Hahaha thanks man, I actually posted in the vas forums a few months ago about contemplating doing cardiac after CCM, just don't know the opportunity cost is worth a second year!

Hahaha thanks man, I actually posted in the vas forums a few months ago about contemplating doing cardiac after CCM, just don't know the opportunity cost is worth a second year!

Definitely. It's CCM that has the big opportunity cost, not cardiac. You'll get your money out of cardiac in 5-10 years.